Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ABBA annouce new material

• 27-04-2018 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭

Abba have announced that they have written and recorded their first new songs since they split in 1983.

“The decision to go ahead with the exciting Abba avatar tour project had an unexpected consequence. We all felt that, after some 35 years, it could be fun to join forces again and go into the recording studio. So we did. And it was like time had stood still and we had only been away on a short holiday. An extremely joyful experience!”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/apr/27/abba-announce-first-new-songs-for-35-years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

They're so iconic, they're definitely gearing up for another comeback of sorts.

There's a Mamma Mia film sequel coming in July which, whether you love or hate it, will generate huge fresh interest in their music and career. Then they have this TV tribute special in December, involving other celebrities singing their songs and the unveiling of one of their own new songs. Along with that, their virtual avatars will be going on tour in 2019 onwards.

Their enduring popularity is a testament to them really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Frida also has a new recording of a Spanish version of 'Andante, Andante' with Arturo Sandoval.

So pleased the break was only a break. With two tracks down, we might get a CD, there are plenty of unrecorded songs. They might even get the Christmas number one that eluded them. :)

Any other boardsies going to Stockholm next weekend for the International Fan Club weekend ( and sneak preview of the new bits in the museum)?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

ohhh can't wait to get the album, Gimme, Gimme ,Gimme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Peace in Korea (after countless years, thanks to Donald & Co), and now this, sure not a bad week.
    Now if BoneyM can knock out a new studio album there is real hope for man(person)kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

spurious wrote: »
    Frida also has a new recording of a Spanish version of 'Andante, Andante' with Arturo Sandoval.

So pleased the break was only a break. With two tracks down, we might get a CD, there are plenty of unrecorded songs. They might even get the Christmas number one that eluded them. :)

Any other boardsies going to Stockholm next weekend for the International Fan Club weekend ( and sneak preview of the new bits in the museum)?

I would really love the Christmas No. 1, I would fear however that streaming will/would be their stumbling block in the modern era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Peace in Korea (after countless years, thanks to Donald & Co), and now this, sure not a bad week.
    Now if BoneyM can knock out a new studio album there is real hope for man(person)kind.

ah Boney M , nothing like a bit of 'brown Girl in the ring':D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 noodleshack

'...thanks to Donald & Co..' - You are well wide of the mark. Trump has done nothing but rattle sabres at NK. The recent developments have been inaugurated by NK and SK themselves. It has Sweet FA to with meddling Yanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭EdEd

An avatar tour? And they will probably charge €100 for a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bessboroughboy

EdEd wrote: »
    An avatar tour? And they will probably charge €100 for a ticket.

Bargain! it will be live music played by a real band, with synced pre-recorded vocals of Abba themselves. The women still sound as they did back then - no appreciable loss of range or tone. As the credits used to say, "All songs written, arranged and produced by Benny Anderson & Bjorn Ulvaeus. Yes, Stig helped out with the vocals on some of the big early hits and they had a genius engineer in Michael B. Tretow.

Hints of a live performance in the last paragraph of the following article - I know, it's the Sun.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/6176649/abba-i-still-have-faith-in-you-release-date-latest/

• Registered Users Posts: 33 buser2x

they, meaning Benny & Bjorn have said there are two new songs, and I believe they have been recorded, they keep pushing the release date back , maybe they are recording more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bessboroughboy

buser2x wrote: »
    they, meaning Benny & Bjorn have said there are two new songs, and I believe they have been recorded, they keep pushing the release date back , maybe they are recording more?

Could there be an album on the way?

(note big grin when asked if they've been in the studio recently)

https://youtu.be/0TRGbjobv0Y

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

As you may have read elsewhere, a major and long-awaited ABBA announcement is expected on this coming Thursday - 2nd September. I can't wait!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Beyond excited.

I wish my pal from school who I went to the RDS concert with back in 1979 was still around to see this. She would have loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Watching the live stream of Abba Voyage. It needs to get better than this. 😑

It like one of those "in-between music" links in the Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Here is the big live news. They are digitizing themselves to be 43 years younger for a world tour. (And new album)

Jesus, I don't know about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

On first listening, I prefer 'Don't shut me down' but on multiple hearings Frida's lovely tones are winning me over too.

CD ordered. I feel 16 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

It's great to have new material from them. Watched some of the live stream and the concert idea is interesting, looks pretty good but as much as I like abba I don't think it's something I'd go to

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I Still have Faith in You is a lovely song, excellent video too.

I'm not sure about the Digital Concert though, will be interesting to see how realistic it is.

• Advertisement

Amazing in this age of instant leaks, that hundreds of people worked on this project and only loose lips Janne let slip the news of a new album (and then made a hasty retraction).

NDAs or maybe old fashioned loyalty?

Saw the ABBA Voyage show on the weekend.....terrific!

Was there Thursday myself. Fantastic. I think I will go back again with a few friends. I never saw anything like it.

Advertisement