Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthropology books?

• 30-11-2012 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi Im looking to do a part time anthropology course but cant seem to find any, is there books on anthropology I could read to help give me an insight to what anthropology entails and maybe just study it myself? Any help would be great. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

What area of anthropology are you interested in? Cultural? Biological/Physical? Etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Trisha XxX

Cultural anthropology.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

OK, unfortunately not my area. Hopefully, someone can help you though.

Lol, ok well thanks anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Trisha XxX wrote: »
    Lol, ok well thanks anyway. :)

Erikson's 'Small places, large issues' is probably the best cultural anthropology introductory text. Taking a look at some of the classics of ethnography should give you some insight into research practice - anything from Levi-Strauss' study of the Azande, to Venkatesh's 'Gang leader for a day' (the latter is a sociologist but his methodology is quite common amongst social anthropologists).

• Advertisement

efla wrote: »
    Erikson's 'Small places, large issues' is probably the best cultural anthropology introductory text. Taking a look at some of the classics of ethnography should give you some insight into research practice - anything from Levi-Strauss' study of the Azande, to Venkatesh's 'Gang leader for a day' (the latter is a sociologist but his methodology is quite common amongst social anthropologists).

Ok brilliant, thank you so much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gobble Funker

Have you read The Fierce People by Chagnon?

Have you read The Fierce People by Chagnon?

I havent read anything yet Im going to wait till after christmas to get myself some books, so I will put that one on my list, thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Clifford Geertz's 'The Interpretation of Culture' will give you an interesting and thorough introduction. Its academic reading but essential for understanding important concepts in cultural Anthropology. Read some Levi Strauss too.

Pair it with ethnographies then on what you're interested in;

http://architectonictokyo.com/100_of_the_Most_Influential_Ethnographies_and_Anthropology_Texts.html

Two I'd recommend are 'Cows, Pigs, Wars, and Witches: The Riddles of Culture'
    by Marvin Harris, and 'Life and Words' Veena Das.

Clifford Geertz's 'The Interpretation of Culture' will give you an interesting and thorough introduction. Its academic reading but essential for understanding important concepts in cultural Anthropology. Read some Levi Strauss too.

Pair it with ethnographies then on what you're interested in;

http://architectonictokyo.com/100_of_the_Most_Influential_Ethnographies_and_Anthropology_Texts.html

Two I'd recommend are 'Cows, Pigs, Wars, and Witches: The Riddles of Culture'
    by Marvin Harris, and 'Life and Words' Veena Das.

Thanks a million hope to get some books next week and start, :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

Currently reading "Debt - The First 5000 Years" by David Graeber. It's fantastic!

nesthead wrote: »
    Currently reading "Debt - The First 5000 Years" by David Graeber. It's fantastic!
    Brilliant I'll pick up a copy so, :) Happy reading.

Advertisement