Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anthropology and Sociology job prospects?

• 12-01-2014 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,
    A good friend of mine has a degree in anthropology and sociology, she also has a years experience working with disadvantage children abroad.

Now that she is home she seems to be under the opinion that there are no jobs for her unless she completes a masters. Is she correct? What type of jobs should she apply for? Surely the experience stands for something?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Not the same, but I got an arts degree and then a masters in development studies so that I could develop a career in international development.

10 years later, I'm leaving the sector. While I have a certain kind of professional experience, neither degrees gave me 'technical experience', which I now find is not enough and I have decided to leave the sector entirely in order to focus on something in the private sector with, hopefully, more prospects.

My point is this: my experience is people will hire you on the basis of what you can do to them (make money or spend money) using a specific set of concrete skills. Knowledge of the world, an academic track record, interest in certain areas, passion and commitment all count for something, but essentially it comes down to having practical skills that you can sell.

I went into development because I thought I could apply my academic interests in a practical way. But after a long, economically difficult road, I learned that nobody really cares about that, even in an area like research and policy that I was trying to break into, unless you can 'do the business'.

In anthropology/sociology, that means getting practical training (hard or soft skills) to do things like do economic analysis or design and implement quantitative sociological research and analyse them and write well about them. For others, they learned a 'profession' (engineering, accountancy, medicine, PR/communications, IT, etc.) and then applied it to development.

Along the way, one might hone one's interpersonal skills, political nous, etc., but you don't get the chance if you can't DO something.

You can get experience after a degree getting lucky and getting good practical experience in a job. Or you can do some kind of post-grad course (not necessarily a masters) that trains you in something practical.

I'm the biggest idealist of them all, not remotely interested in reality, but after ten years of a failed career, I have to get real, and I wish somebody had given this advice, and that I had listened, long, long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭arsenal1991

my_self wrote: »
    Hi,
    A good friend of mine has a degree in anthropology and sociology, she also has a years experience working with disadvantage children abroad.

Now that she is home she seems to be under the opinion that there are no jobs for her unless she completes a masters. Is she correct? What type of jobs should she apply for? Surely the experience stands for something?
    Thanks.
    Prison officer jobs/Probation jobs , youth worker might be a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Suitable methods training is a necessary transferable skill for anyone looking to the private sector. Different degree programmes will offer differing levels of quantitative training, but unfortunately not to the same extent as the US or UK. Writing research tenders, designing surveys, evaluating programmes and interventions, working with secondary data - these abilities are all relevant to NGO, charity, community organisations, HR consultancies, public sector etc, and the more you can demonstrate, the better your prospects.

Advertisement