Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Has anyone here had a Mirena that moved out of where it should be?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Had my smear done at the start of December last year and just got the letter today saying all is ok. I’m glad (obviously) but it’s ridiculous that it took 6 months.

That's mad that mine came significantly quicker than yours. Perhaps medical history comes into it and mine was prioritised. :confused: Thought it was odd mine came so quick as there was so much talk on here and radio about it at the time re: how long it was taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dmcguq10

Got a period on 28th July so began taking ovreena pill same day. After 9 days I began to feel shortness of breath & was spotting,I was instructed by GP to stop taking pill (Tuesday gone) I am now bleeding ( don’t think it’s a period)

Is this normal as I shouldn’t be due period for another few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I can’t comment on what’s normal, but I think a break through bleed is to be expected when you stop taking/take a break from the pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GingerNut93

Hi guys. Recently got smear test results that took 10 MONTHS to be sent to my GP!

It came back as CIN3 and HPV present. I’m waiting to hear back about an appointment with colposcopy. Anyone been in the situation? Obviously very anxious as it was my first smear at 25 and have never experienced anything like this before.

I was wondering of the likelihood of LLETZ procedure happening, is it highly possible? My GP wasn’t great and kept apologising and making me more anxious!

Any information from anyone who has experienced this would be hugely appreciated as I’m quite concerned.

Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi all, not looking for medical advice, just experiences others have had.
    Has anyone ever had bleeding occur during a smear test but still get a normal result?
    I ask because I had a smear test 1 year ago which came back abnormal, with low grade changes & HPV positive. I bled during that smear test.
    Subsequently had a colposcopy which looked normal so I didnt get any treatment.
    1 year later, I just had another smear test. However, once again I bled during this. Like it actually felt like I could feel blood gush out during it, sorry if tmi. No idea how much I actually bled as the Dr cleaned it up pretty quickly, still bleeding a bit a few hours later but it's just a bit of spotting. The Dr said to the nurse "ah yes it's bleeding quite a bit ", which to me sort of sounded like she was saying "yeah something is up here".
    I stupidly didn't ask is that normal at the time.
    So do some people just bleed from smears even though nothing is actually wrong? Anyone experience this? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Wondering if anyone had a similar experience. I started the pill (microlite) in July. It was a week into my period. I reacted badly to the pill in the past but my GP said this "new generation" one had little or no side effects. One week in, my mood had been affected so badly that I thought I was losing my mind! I spoke to my OH and we agreed that I should stop taking it. Having only had 7 days pills, I wasn't sure what, if any, effect it would have on my cycle.

I am now on day 40 of my cycle and AF still has not shown. I have taken several pregnancy tests (the latest two days ago) which are all negative. I know that the pill can interfere with your cycle but I am surprised that only taking it for 7 days could impact it so much. Has anyone else experienced this, and do you know how long it takes to regulate again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

Antares35 wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone had a similar experience. I started the pill (microlite) in July. It was a week into my period. I reacted badly to the pill in the past but my GP said this "new generation" one had little or no side effects. One week in, my mood had been affected so badly that I thought I was losing my mind! I spoke to my OH and we agreed that I should stop taking it. Having only had 7 days pills, I wasn't sure what, if any, effect it would have on my cycle.

I am now on day 40 of my cycle and AF still has not shown. I have taken several pregnancy tests (the latest two days ago) which are all negative. I know that the pill can interfere with your cycle but I am surprised that only taking it for 7 days could impact it so much. Has anyone else experienced this, and do you know how long it takes to regulate again?

I came off microlite and my period took 38 days to return, which was long for me as my cycle is around 27/28 days. I was on for 3 months though, which probably makes a difference. But in my anxiety I read somewhere that a period isn't considered "missed" until 6 weeks after your last one so it might be a good idea to go to your GP or women's clinic at that point.

GRACKEA wrote: »
    I came off microlite and my period took 38 days to return, which was long for me as my cycle is around 27/28 days. I was on for 3 months though, which probably makes a difference. But in my anxiety I read somewhere that a period isn't considered "missed" until 6 weeks after your last one so it might be a good idea to go to your GP or women's clinic at that point.

Thanks! I will book an appointment for about a week from now and see if something happens in between! I am normally 26 days so this is super late for me. What's worrying me is that I think I did ovulate a couple of days after I stopped taking it. I've also had PMS type symptoms for about two weeks - mood swings, cramps etc. so have been convince that AF is just around the corner for a while now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

Antares35 wrote: »
    Thanks! I will book an appointment for about a week from now and see if something happens in between! I am normally 26 days so this is super late for me. What's worrying me is that I think I did ovulate a couple of days after I stopped taking it. I've also had PMS type symptoms for about two weeks - mood swings, cramps etc. so have been convince that AF is just around the corner for a while now!

Oh god there's nothing worse than that wait. Hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement

GRACKEA wrote: »
    Oh god there's nothing worse than that wait. Hope it works out for you.

I know! I've also had heartburn non-stop for the last two weeks and am driving myself mad searching online for "early pregnancy symptoms". However the tests were clear blue so I am fairly confident they are accurate. We aren't actively trying but also if it does happen, it won't be the end of the world, so I am nervous but also know that it will be ok no matter the outcome. Just so impatient and would like either AF or a positive - it is such a limbo! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I overheard something at the gym the other day that I haven't verified in any way, but it was a girl saying she was told by someone (a personal trainer maybe?) that contraception makes women carry more weight in their lower abdomen, and even very slim women who are on contraception will have a little pooch. I certainly carry more weight below my bellybutton than above. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this too? Or if anyone has noticed a change between going on and coming off contraception?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Faith wrote: »
    I overheard something at the gym the other day that I haven't verified in any way, but it was a girl saying she was told by someone (a personal trainer maybe?) that contraception makes women carry more weight in their lower abdomen, and even very slim women who are on contraception will have a little pooch. I certainly carry more weight below my bellybutton than above. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this too? Or if anyone has noticed a change between going on and coming off contraception?

I would be the same. Been on hormonal contraception for years now so cant compare to without. But i do know i had a flat stomach when i wasnt on it, i put it down to age as opposed to the contraception-but you may be on to something!

neonsofa wrote: »
    I would be the same. Been on hormonal contraception for years now so cant compare to without. But i do know i had a flat stomach when i wasnt on it, i put it down to age as opposed to the contraception-but you may be on to something!

Me too, I have always carried my weight on my tummy so I never noticed (and I never had a flat tummy to compare to :D) but I’ve been really conscious about my pooch over the last couple of years. I was on the pill from about 17 - 28, then I’ve had a Mirena for 4 years. I’ve been thinking of coming off hormonal contraception for a while when my IUD needs replacing next year, so I’m curious about whether there’ll be any changes in fat distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

I’ve been taking the pill for years and I also have a little pooch. But I found a few years ago I went on a very restrictive diet and a rigorous exercise programme. I was still taking the pill but I had a very flat stomach with no pooch. So I think it depends.
    I’m back on the pill now just under a year and I’ve lost about two stone since this time last year but still have a bit of a pooch. I wonder if I started focusing on core workouts would it make a difference.

Just wondering if anyone can report on experiences with getting the Mirena removed, and whether you noticed any effects afterwards? I’ve read about the Mirena “crash”, and I guess it’s normal that your hormones would be a bit all over the place. But I always like to hear the experiences of boardsies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Melania Frump

Faith wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone can report on experiences with getting the Mirena removed, and whether you noticed any effects afterwards? I’ve read about the Mirena “crash”, and I guess it’s normal that your hormones would be a bit all over the place. But I always like to hear the experiences of boardsies :)

Had it removed no crash that I have noticed anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Morby

Further to some issues I posted about having here previously, it turns out I have some uterine polyps and I'm booked in to have surgery to have them removed.

My consultation with the gynaecologist was super quick, I only saw him for less than 5 minutes.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has had something similar done and if they know it would be possible to have an IUD inserted during the same time as the surgery? I see it's common in the US but I'm not sure about over here.

I'll be a public patient.

I don't have any contact details for the gynaecologist who'll be doing the surgery, so not sure how to get in touch with him to ask, or if I could even just ring up the hospital to ask as I'll only get through to a secretary or receptionist and I'm not sure if it will be appropriate to ask them about that as it may be outside of their remit.

I'm hopelessly new to all of this, hence the silly question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Morby wrote: »
    Further to some issues I posted about having here previously, it turns out I have some uterine polyps and I'm booked in to have surgery to have them removed.

My consultation with the gynaecologist was super quick, I only saw him for less than 5 minutes.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has had something similar done and if they know it would be possible to have an IUD inserted during the same time as the surgery? I see it's common in the US but I'm not sure about over here.

I'll be a public patient.

I don't have any contact details for the gynaecologist who'll be doing the surgery, so not sure how to get in touch with him to ask, or if I could even just ring up the hospital to ask as I'll only get through to a secretary or receptionist and I'm not sure if it will be appropriate to ask them about that as it may be outside of their remit.

I'm hopelessly new to all of this, hence the silly question.

I had to have a LLETZ procedure last year and asked to have it in surgery under GA. I had an appointment a few weeks before the surgery in the pre-assessment clinic. There I met someone from the gyne team and asked her to remove my IUD during the procedure. I think pre-assessment is standard in most hospitals so maybe that would be your opportunity to ask?

Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I received the results of my smear test this morning, stating that I have an abnormal cell count with a referral to the Rotunda for a colposcopy. I'm sure with the public system and with the COVID 19 crisis this will be a number of weeks/months away. I'd consider going private but can't seem to find any info online. Does anyone have any ideas about going the private route? i.e. contacting GP or just contacting one of the private hospitals. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

user.name wrote: »
    I received the results of my smear test this morning, stating that I have an abnormal cell count with a referral to the Rotunda for a colposcopy. I'm sure with the public system and with the COVID 19 crisis this will be a number of weeks/months away. I'd consider going private but can't seem to find any info online. Does anyone have any ideas about going the private route? i.e. contacting GP or just contacting one of the private hospitals. Thanks!

Private hospitals have cancelled all day procedures and have done a deal with the Government for the duration of the current crisis. Unfortunately it's a matter of waiting to be called at the moment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

user.name wrote: »

I would contact the Rotunda first and foremost. They will be best positioned to advise... howeverI don't see the rotunda being too badly impacted by covid19 as babies are still being born so gynaecologists still go to work... It is also unlikely that gynaecologists will be redeployed to covid19 work as baby delivery cannot be postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I've had the Mirena in a couple of years, I've had no issues with it ... the only thing is, I've never worn a tampon since getting it in, as I heard the tampon can get caught up in the strings and pull it out. :eek: Does anyone know if there's any truth to this ... I'd really like to start wearing tampons again (I still get regular periods). Thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I've had the Mirena in a couple of years, I've had no issues with it ... the only thing is, I've never worn a tampon since getting it in, as I heard the tampon can get caught up in the strings and pull it out. :eek: Does anyone know if there's any truth to this ... I'd really like to start wearing tampons again (I still get regular periods). Thanks!

AFAIK tampons are grand. Mooncups are a no no though.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

sullivlo wrote: »
    AFAIK tampons are grand. Mooncups are a no no though.

Yep. My Mooncup ate my copper IUD just under 2 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Just had a colposcopy. Nurse Thought it best to go for a biopsy so fingers crossed that comes back ok!
    Went through it fine but just as she was finished i got ridiculously dizzy.
    Nurse was saying the masks really dont help with them being able to judge if someone is going to keel over on them or not :pac:

Does anyone here know when smear tests can be done at GP's again?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Morby wrote: »
    Does anyone here know when smear tests can be done at GP's again?

July but I think you have to wait for a letter to give you the go ahead.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cervical-cancer-screening-to-resume-from-july-1007183.html

That's very helpful, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Do our faces get hairier the older we get, or is it just mine?
    My hair isn’t dark, but I’ve a couple of moles on my face with hairs growing out of them that really irk me.
    But definitely my whole face is fuzzier/hairier than it used to be.

Advertisement