Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-10-2018, 21:26   #46
jvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookwoman View Post
I don't think the names are the issue I think it's how the forecast is read is the big problem. At least with a warning of a few days it gives people a chance to prepare, might mean rescheduling work or getting the job done quicker. It also gives parents a chance to organize that the kids may be off school. Same with jobs. Would be a hell of a lot more giving out if people where only told that morning oh a storm is due to hit in the next few hours and the schools are closed etc. It's not a perfect science so not everywhere is going to get orange level weather even if they are in an orange listed area. Better to be safe than sorry.
But there is a responsibility with the weather presenters to not hype it. Out of the presenters I think Jean Byrne and Gerry Murphy are the best, they are not into the drama and speak with level tones and sound like meteorologists. Donnelly is the worst for over hyping the storms.
I agree, the modern way of presenters/dj's reading the weather is part of the problem. 5 word weathers or forecasts with a very general countrywide description of what is due are all part of the problem.
Advertisement
13-10-2018, 00:32   #47
piuswal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzill View Post
I think they should do away with the category system of yellow, orange and red and just go back to warning us about the weather. Storm Ali did not have the hype surrounding it, two people died, it was close to a red here. Storm Callum as an orange is just a slightly windy day.

When you draw a large brush stroke over swathes of the country you will never predict the levels on a more regional level. I would prefer regional weather forecasts in more detail and less of the hype, more of the clear forecasting.
The colouring system arose out of the need to have a standardised European widesystem that could be understood by all for any particular country - the Meteoalarm system -by anyone , natives or visitors; particularly so in the age of frequent and widespread international travel.
(2) thanks from:
13-10-2018, 03:20   #48
Amprodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJohnston View Post
Nope, it wasn't. The criteria are very clear. Go read them.
Criteria was clear. They said Orange status but it was barely Yellow.As it was only was a bit of wet wind.

Last edited by Amprodude; 13-10-2018 at 03:24.
13-10-2018, 03:28   #49
gozunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amprodude View Post
Criteria was clear. They said Orange status but it was barely Yellow.As it was only was a bit of wet wind.
And the 30,000 who lost power due to same "bit of wind" etc ? . Lol ...
Thanks from:
13-10-2018, 11:00   #50
Rhineshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozunda View Post
It's the usual approach of "it was only a bit of wet wind for ME and I was ofc the person the forecasts were being aimed at so because I didn't see a major storm, the warnings were incorrect."

There seems to be a significant number of people for whom the concept of other people doesn't exist.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-10-2018, 11:09   #51

Quote:
I guess it's all relative. Ali left 186,000 people without power and many were without power for days because so many trees had fallen on the lines. I did not see one tree down yesterday on my 30 min drive to work but during Ali I saw about 12 full trees down on the same route not including heavy branches. It was carnage.
13-10-2018, 11:15   #52
Shower Doctor
Banned

Quote:
Trees should be cut down that are near lines. It’s getting stupid now at this stage.
(2) thanks from:
13-10-2018, 11:27   #53
Drumpot

A warning system does not need to be technically accurate to a scientific methodology, it just needs to be able to communicate the clearest message possible to its audience.

I think of it like the way I discuss life assurance and pensions to clients. They seldom pay attention to technical aspects or important elements that effect them. And that’s with people who have hundreds of thousands invested through my company! The most important thing is ultimately that they are aware of risks and have taken appropriate action.

So if I was involved in changing the warning system I would look at simplicity. What do people understand and is there anything I can piggyback on to make the weather warnings more relevant to the general public.

I have an ok grasp of the weather warnings and follow them. But most people don’t , particularly if it’s not a red warning they don’t know difference between yellow and orange.

So why not do something like 1-10 scale. Everybody understands a 1-10 scale in terms of danger or risk. I think the line across the country is good but I would also have a list of each county (because that’s what most people will look at), with a risk potential (5-7), probability and more spefci information on that county. If there is more technical specific information on my area I am more likely to read it. So even if you have 32 counties with the same information I believe more people will even keep an eye on that.

Of course people should make themselves familiar with these systems but the priority should always be safety and communication. That does not require technical and/or a warning system that’s scientifically accurate. (I don’t mean the information isn’t honest or accurate, I mean its not limited to scientific criteria that determines specific events like hurricanes etc). I am struggling to think of an example to explain the point but I suppose it comes from when people were arguing things like “technically that’s not a red warning” or stuff like that. A warning system that’s more simple and less open to debate.
13-10-2018, 11:28   #54
Meteorite58

At the height RTE quoted ESB saying 60,000 customers had power disruption and was down to 850 today but was hoping to be down below 500 by the end of the day.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-10-2018, 11:50   #55
Harry Palmr

Maybe that alone tells us something about the nature of the "storm". Fixed in a day.
(2) thanks from:
13-10-2018, 11:55   #56
ednwireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shower Doctor View Post
Trees should be cut down that are near lines. It’s getting stupid now at this stage.
what all of them ? This country has few enough trees
13-10-2018, 12:00   #57
dexter647

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteorite58 View Post
At the height RTE quoted ESB saying 60,000 customers had power disruption and was down to 850 today but was hoping to be down below 500 by the end of the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palmr View Post
Maybe that alone tells us something about the nature of the "storm". Fixed in a day.
Or maybe it tells us what a great service the esb and there repair crews provide..

Last edited by dexter647; 13-10-2018 at 13:56.
(2) thanks from:
13-10-2018, 12:14   #58
wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore Tree View Post
I guess it's all relative. Ali left 186,000 people without power and many were without power for days because so many trees had fallen on the lines. I did not see one tree down yesterday on my 30 min drive to work but during Ali I saw about 12 full trees down on the same route not including heavy branches. It was carnage.
Ali taking down so many trees left far fewer vulnerable trees for Callum to fell, even had they been exactly the same intensity.
(2) thanks from:
13-10-2018, 13:02   #59
Amprodude

the ESB saying thousands of homes are without power etc. If they made some bit of an effort to get off their butts and go around and clear trees that are near powerlines so many people wouldn't be without power anytime there are storms. common sense approach.
Thanks from:
13-10-2018, 13:07   #60
Amprodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhineshark View Post
It's the usual approach of "it was only a bit of wet wind for ME and I was ofc the person the forecasts were being aimed at so because I didn't see a major storm, the warnings were incorrect."

There seems to be a significant number of people for whom the concept of other people doesn't exist.
Well it was disappointing i must say.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion