Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-05-2019, 21:52   #16
BlackandGreen

Saw this this morning but couldn't post until home from work.

Orange forest fire warning issued by Dept. of Agriculture.

Condition: Orange - high fire risk

Warning Effective From 1200hrs 13/05/201

Effective Period Expires 1200hrs 17/05/2019

(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-05-2019, 10:25   #17
highdef

Do we have a noticeboard system as operated in many other countries whereby if you are entering a public park/forest/etc, you encounter a suitably placed board that informs anyone entering the area of the fire risk on that day?

15-05-2019, 13:35   #18
Rougies

No, I've never seen a sign like that. Coillte did put up "red warning - fire ban" notices at their Dublin mountain forests last year.
15-05-2019, 13:40   #19
highdef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rougies View Post
No, I've never seen a sign like that. Coillte did put up "red warning - fire ban" notices at their Dublin mountain forests last year.
Could be a decent system to have so that visiting public to forests/parks can have an indication what level we are at, not just when it's at a danger level. Most people don't actively check online or wherever to see what the current status is so if everyone has to pass one of these signs entering a forest/park (most likely controlled or owned by Coillte or the government), the public would most likely take more heed. Maybe I'm being too optimistic as to how I think humans will perceive the signage and act accordingly
15-05-2019, 19:19   #20
BlackandGreen

In comparison to other countries our national weather warnings are fairly lacking and awareness about things such as fire is pretty much non existent bar just a few people who happen to follow the dept of agriculture on twitter.

I was surprised to find that Met Éireann don't even have fire condition warnings on their website.

A system like that would be great, it could just be an attachment notice to the typical coillte information board found at the start of nearly all walking/biking trails.
Advertisement
16-05-2019, 16:15   #21
Graces7

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/201...6-gorse-fires/

No real rain in sight either.
16-05-2019, 21:54   #22
BlackandGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post

There was also a large gorse fire near Belmullet appearing on the fire map tuesday evening. Appears to be gone now.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion