Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-05-2019, 23:46   #1171
tatranska

Quote:
Originally Posted by John mac View Post
that photo looks like two different places . certinaly both photos not taken from the same spot .
They are different shapes
Advertisement
02-05-2019, 17:31   #1172
sryanbruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaoth Laidir View Post
What height is the anemometer at Moneypoint? Just curious as it seems way out of whack of other readings (e.g. Cliffs of Moher and the two buoys).
To answer your question GL, Kilkenny Weather posted the following over on UKWeatherworld:

Quote:
According to this info sheet, the client uses large tower cranes on rails to unload coal from visiting vessels and RPR have installed the anemometer to monitor the wind for these cranes.

So I expect the anemo is mounted high up on the crane and will be considerably higher than a standard met station 10m mast.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.6030...656?shorturl=1

This might be the ultrasonic anemo arrowed ?
Original post in the link below plus photos.

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/foru...9/page__st__15
(2) thanks from:
04-05-2019, 06:10   #1173
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryanbruen View Post
To answer your question GL, Kilkenny Weather posted the following over on UKWeatherworld:

Original post in the link below plus photos.

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/foru...9/page__st__15
Thanks Sryan. That's what I was thinking. No way such high speeds could have been measured at a standard anemometer that night, whetever its location. People still want to quote it as valid, though. Sounds more impressive and will no doubt be used as evidence in the climate debate some time down the road.
Thanks from:
06-05-2019, 20:43   #1174
SlowBlowin

I spoke too soon about the damage in Kerry from Storm Hannah.

It has become apparent that about 50% of the deciduous trees around the Sneem area are in a very poor state. All the leaves have shrivel, and look burnt, some trees are black. There are lots of people in the area just starting to realise.

Has this been reported ?

What caused this ? All the trees have shrivelled, burnt leaves, some have lost all the leaves, even the larches are effected. I will start another thread and post images, wheres the best place for it ?
06-05-2019, 21:12   #1175
Meteorite58

Quote:
What caused this ? All the trees have shrivelled, burnt leaves, some have lost all the leaves, even the larches are effected. I will start another thread and post images, wheres the best place for it ?
The same here in North Kerry Slowblowin . A lot of the young leaves coming out got burnt here and have just shrivelled up. Been checking to see if any new growth but no great signs of any. The Elder seems to be some of the worst affected. Looks like small bats hanging upside down on the branches ! Lucky that the Ashes was just starting to peep out. Birch and Beech also badly affected as was the willow.

I think the combination of wind burnt, the cold and excessive salt spray caused the damage. Our windows needed some cleaning after to get the salty grime off.

Only a few Km's from my house to the coast as the crow flies.

Post your pics here if you like.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-05-2019, 22:26   #1176
SlowBlowin

A near neighbour of mine shared these images of the leaves in her garden:

storm1.jpg

storm2.jpg
07-05-2019, 12:04   #1177
Graces7

a real problem with late seasonal gales. Nothing much was in leaf out here. I am on a UK gardening forum and they record the same damage. Wind burn.

Some of an expanse of nettles here got badly burned and a gunnera all but destroyed and withered on the land facing due north

Last edited by Graces7; 07-05-2019 at 12:23.
07-05-2019, 17:04   #1178
endainoz

I'd say it could actually be a combination of wind burn and some frost too. The nights have been colder lately. Had some sycamore saplings that were damaged also.
18-05-2019, 10:52   #1179
sryanbruen

It's that time again.

Here's the maximum 10-minute mean wind speeds for selected Irish stations during Storm Hannah in comparison to other named storms.

Added Newport to the table due to request.

In terms of the false readings, the historical database gives the same max wind gust for Cork Airport of 63 knots (117 kph) that was reported in synops and yesterday's weather on met.ie a few weeks ago when we initially had the event and I did my storm comparison table. So I'm not sure about this.

Data from Met Éireann.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion