Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Areas in South Dublin can you recommend to buy in?

• 14-08-2014 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi there,

We’ve been looking at a few areas in south Dublin to buy and I was looking for some advice on areas. We moved to Dublin a couple of years ago and are living in the walkinstown area but there’s not much coming on the market in this area and anything that does is quite old and pricey. Our budget is circa €250k.

So we’ve also been looking around crumlin/drimnagh/Kimmage- where prices are a bit better but still a lot of older/smaller houses. So we looked a bit further into clondalkin, Lucan and Palmerstown.

What i’m wondering is there parts of these areas anyone can recommend as nice parts or parts better avoided??

We’ve seen on daft a few places in Clondalkin; monskfield, woodford, kilcarbery close, cherrywood, st johns, hazelwood, monastery gate and a few others in that big estate.

In lucan there aren’t as many in our price range but saw few in foxborough, castle riada, old orchard, abbey avenue, earlsfort.

In Palmerstown ; palmerstown manor and palmerstown avenue.

We’re trying to weigh up location, value for money and distance to work. We work in the Dublin 12 & 8 areas.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Tallaght, it's f*cking fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Are you definitely 100% interested in South Dublin?

We bought in Bray at the end of 2013 and there was great value for money to be had. Definitely in your price range. 145 brings you right into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭jillyb

Ya we're open enough to south/west dublin area but wanted to stay a communtable distance to work, friends for nights out etc. Our friends mainly live in d12 & clondalkin.

I had a quick look at places in bray on daft but unfortuately they aren't any cheaper now that the other areas we were looking at :( Prices are defo rising!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭jillyb

so...anyone have any input in the areas i mentioned above please??? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 misterwoods

Just bought in Drimnagh myself for under 200k. Have lived all over Dublin previously (Ballsbridge, Walkinstown, Kimmage, Glasnevin, Stoneybatter) and done a good bit of research into the area as I wouldn't have known a lot about it. Spoke to the provisional neighbours, a colleague who lives there, and a couple who used to rent there - basically it's fine with a couple of bad eggs. As long as you're keeping yourself to yourself you'll be fine!

Our neighbours are fairly sound, it's a pretty settled area with a lot of 'older' residents, which in a way is lending itself to properties coming onto the market and available for younger professionals looking for somewhere cheap and close to town. I wouldn't say it's exactly gentrifying, but there are a lot of other people like ourselves in the area - not quite 'yuppies' but definitely not the type that are looking for trouble.

It's pretty quiet at night, lots of teenagers hanging around in the evenings, but once it gets dark they're gone. Only thing is that there tends to be more litter on the streets than other areas, and not everyone cleans up after their dog!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭ShiftStorm

Misterwoods, which areas of Drimnagh would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 misterwoods

It's all the one really... The town side is probably the one with the bad rep, but it's well settled with lots of nice friendly people around. There's a little area called Lissadel Green that's not great, but apart from that it's pretty samey.

We live beside Brickfield Park which is great as we have dogs, there's football going on there most evenings and weekends that brings plenty of life around. Beside the shops can be lively in the evenings with lots of kids hanging about, but unless you're looking for trouble it's grand.

My advice is to come and walk around, get a feel for it. You'll soon know whether it's for you or not.

Advertisement