Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apartment survey, gas turned off

Options
  • 29-05-2019 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I am sale agreed on an apartment. It has gas-fired central heating.
    I got a survey done today and the surveyor said the heating did not come on - probably because the gas was disconnected (pilot light on the boiler was off).

The apartment was previously a rental and is now vacant, the vendor lives abroad, so I understand they probably never reconnected gas after the tenant left to save money.
    However I need to know there is no problem with the heating before I buy the apartment.

The sticker on the boiler indicates it was last serviced in 2014.

I haven’t spoken to the estate agent or my solicitor yet ( just got the call from the surveyor this evening)but was wondering if anyone had been in similar situation or had some advice on what to do about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Price in a refit.
    Depends on when it was last let, but if it was a rental and the same agent was doing the rental and sale, plus the last service being in 2014, suggests an issue is very possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Yup, knock off 3k from your offer unless they can provide an up to date RGI cert.

They might not accept it but worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Holly13

Askthe EA wrote: »
    Yup, knock off 3k from your offer unless they can provide an up to date RGI cert.

They might not accept it but worth a try.

I emailed the agent today. He sent me a scan of the RGI cert dated April 2018.
    He confirmed the gas was disconnected - which he only realized on the day of the survey when he checked the mailbox.....what a coincidence 🀔
    He said tenant left in the new year and must have notified the company, so gas was disconnected.

I know I should have asked about gas being connected before survey, but he must have known it was and I am annoyed now.
    Don’t know what to do now, if I should ask them to reconnect so I can check there is no problem.
    Called my solicitor today, but no answer 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Holly13 wrote: »

He said tenant left in the new year and must have notified the company, so gas was disconnected.

Well that sounds like a lie, if the gas was in the tenants name they are going to close out their account and not have someone running up a bill in their name. The usual pratice would be to transfer it back to the LL or agent.

There is no harm in asking for it to be reconnected, if nothing else the reaction may give a indication of any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

You're going to have to deal with this sort of stuff buying a property, especially if you're in a high demand area. Honestly I would have no expectation of any works being done for you. Have to ask yourself if say you need a new boiler, is it going to put you off the property?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

That’s why surveys are done. Either reduce your offer or accept as is. No deal is done until contract is signed.

You're going to have to deal with this sort of stuff buying a property, especially if you're in a high demand area. Honestly I would have no expectation of any works being done for you. Have to ask yourself if say you need a new boiler, is it going to put you off the property?

No, having to replace the boiler is not what is putting me off.
    I am worried that there is something else more serious wrong, that would come to light if the gas was connected.
    Please excuse my ignorance on heating systems etc, but could there be something wrong with the pipes etc?
    It is an early 80s apartment. The apartment underneath is also vacant, sale fell through -apparently because the vendors lost the deeds.

Do you think it is unreasonable to ask them to reconnect the gas? The vendor lives abroad and the same agent who managed the letting is also managing the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Holly13 wrote: »
    No, having to replace the boiler is not what is putting me off.
    I am worried that there is something else more serious wrong, that would come to light if the gas was connected.
    Please excuse my ignorance on heating systems etc, but could there be something wrong with the pipes etc?
    It is an early 80s apartment. The apartment underneath is also vacant, sale fell through -apparently because the vendors lost the deeds.

Do you think it is unreasonable to ask them to reconnect the gas? The vendor lives abroad and the same agent who managed the letting is also managing the sale.

Definitely not unreasonable to get them to connect the gas no. You could ask if you can get a service done on the boiler, will cost you 70 quid or so but it will surface any problems that exist.

It is also possible that the management company has turned the gas and water supply off to the apartment as it is long term unoccupied.

Some management companies are very proactive on this, have you asked the EA is this the case?

If it is, thats an easy fix, just need to arrange access with the mgmt company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

It is also possible that the management company has turned the gas and water supply off to the apartment as it is long term unoccupied.

Some management companies are very proactive on this, have you asked the EA is this the case?

And make sure the management fee's are paid for the previous years as well.

• Advertisement

I spoke to the agent today and asked for the gas to be reconnected. He was unenthusiastic about this, but explained I that if I can’t test the boiler, I will have to assume it needs replacement, so would reduce my offer.
    He is going to speak to the vendor, so hopefully it will all work out.
    The water supply is on and no problem with plumbing/pressure reported in survey.

Ya, it was a long shot but possible. Far more likely that Gas Networks disconnected it because nobody signed up to take the account over.

Advertisement