Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vintage Camera Collectors

Options
  • 14-11-2018 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys is there vintage film camera collectors in Ireland us I'm self collectors and interested is there many who is in to it??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

There are people who collect old cameras, and some who actually use them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I have a few. I wouldn't call myself a collector.

I have a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye, a Super Ricohflex 6x6 medium formatTLR, and a Canon Pellix QL 35mm SLR.
    I also have a 35mm point and shoot from Ansco, and a 35mm Pentax SLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

CabanSail wrote:
    There are people who collect old cameras, and some who actually use them too.

I use mine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

I've been getting together a fairly decent FD setup around an old F-1 - with a collection of random ebay purchases to add to the mix. It gets a lot of work and I'm sort of trying to turn it into a setup for the ages. There's a T-70 in the mix to act as a lazy-man's backup

It's something that I want to take holidaying and the like. It's lasted 50 years. It can go another 50.

It was something that began as a form of almost performance art - taking old film camera to anime conventions and the like and making them work as opposed to just snapshotting - doing the sort of things most people were doing with iPhones and the like. But it's also led me to realise that some of the only permanent images of many familymembers fro mthe last 15 years or so are ones taken on that F-1.

Everything else has just sort of vanished into Instagram or Facebook, or the SD card hole.

They aren't too difficult to use, are mostly robust, and will keep ticking even when the household DSLR noped out in the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GypsyBiker

I have several old film cameras. I just bought a Kodak Autograph 2 from 1917 on Ebay which I can't wait to use. I have 3 box cameras all late 1920's and a Agfa Isolette from 1954. I also have a few more modern ones from '70's & 80's, but I really love using the older cameras. The prices that people are asking on Adverts.ie are crazy....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Ging and I

Dartz, I have my F1n with all the interchangeable heads and 250 film back. Its sitting along side my Nikonos 5 with 15mm lens.
    I have these from new. My favourite was a T90
    I got rid of all my FD lenses 800mm -17mm a long time ago.
    ironically I find all the digital cameras and lenses a lot heavier. I used to carry 4x T90s with a pile off lenses - now I just take what I need. Of course my tripod got heavier to cope with all the extra weight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

define 'vintage'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

define 'vintage'.

30 years is vintage tax for cars.

But that then becomes an interesting thought when you consider the EOS 650 came out in May 1987 - and that it was effectively as close to the original fully manual F-1 as it was to the 1D - with the 1D being closer to the EOS650 than it was to the current EOS-R

And yet still feels like it's an age more modern than the F-1 that came before. It feels new. Everything is automatic and simple. And One may still purchase - or in my case probably rent - the latest EF lens from Canon and it'll work perfectly happily on it. And the basic controls are very similar.

20 years old is 1998 with digital cameras starting to crop up.

ironically I find all the digital cameras and lenses a lot heavier.

The only DSLR I've ever used is the family 100D. Which is a bad metric since it's designed to be lightweight- and I've never even handled modern professional grade equipment. I'm surprised that modern hardware is heavier - the F-1, with a heavier lens, is nearly a kilo and a half. But that's with everything hewn from solid metal with the internals being clockwork with maybe two cables, one light sensor and a potentiometer.

I don't know how they managed to make a 5D weight the exact same by somehow they did.

Advertisement