Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it bad form to take an assignment to develop someone else's photos?

• 26-10-2018 4:57am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a client who I did a shoot with before. She got some photos done with another photographer (at a hefty price, I'm led to believe) but wasn't happy with the developing. Now she's sending me the RAW files and wants me to develop them a different way for her, for cash.
    Is this frowned upon in the photography world?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Your doing her a service. She's got the RAW files, she's paid for them, the photographer that took them was willing to give her the RAW files so I'd see nothing wrong with it.

See what she's asking for, see if you can give her what she wants. The RAW files may be terrible or she is asking for something unrealistic from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I would be sure that she has a copyright release from the original photographer.
    Having a copy of the raw files doesn't make it legal to modify them or use them in other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Heebie wrote: »
    I would be sure that she has a copyright release from the original photographer.
    Having a copy of the raw files doesn't make it legal to modify them or use them in other ways.

I don't know why the photographer would hand them over if not for processing/developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I don't know why the photographer would hand them over if not for processing/developing.

That's not relevant if the photographer decides to sue. The photographer has the only rights to using the images, unless they give it away in writing.
    No copyright release means no copies allowed.
    Even if the photographer doesn't sue, the photographer's family can if he/she dies.
    It's always best to have the paperwork.

Advertisement