Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flickr to be acquired by Smugmug

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Neutral.
    thebaz wrote: »
    are you sure about that ??

My understanding from a quick read yesterday , was anyone can become a Pro member at the discount rate for November - which is about 40 euros - didnt see anything about exPro account holders excluded. or was Flick pro - 20 euros for a year ??

Yeah I've been paying €20 a year up until now. When my 2 year sub expires next march I'll be on the new rate, which is roughly twice as much, and no 30% discount :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Actually, just to add to this ...

They WANT free users to go. That's pretty much the bottom line. The basic free user tier will be kept to onboard potentially interested newbies and persuade them that a paid account is the way to go. They're not interested in long term free users. The reason that the hybrid paid/ad model is a failure is because you're essentially doing something that doesn't make any sense, you have a bunch of users with money, but they pay for the service. Then you serve ads to the users without money or without any desire to pay for stuff. This is not a particularly valuable demographic. And Flickr was giving those users 1TB of space. It was never going to pay off.

I know that's what they want. My point is when that happens it's not going to be as great for them as they think it will be. With a large proportion of their user base vanishing the others will get bored of getting a fraction of the favourites and comments they used to get and start wondering why they're paying for a pro account.

Neutral.
    I know that's what they want. My point is when that happens it's not going to be as great for them as they think it will be. With a large proportion of their user base vanishing the others will get bored of getting a fraction of the favourites and comments they used to get and start wondering why they're paying for a pro account.

Yeah I understand where you're coming from, they're obviously looking at Smugmug, where a similar model has proven very successful, and extending that model to Flickr and hoping people will get back on board with the changes. Time will tell. I think it'll work out well for them in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Yeah I've been paying €20 a year up until now. When my 2 year sub expires next march I'll be on the new rate, which is roughly twice as much, and no 30% discount :-)

ok, got it , so the old Flickr Pro was half price of 500px - 40 euros seams the going annual rate these days - I will probably pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Unhappy.
    If you have more than 1,000 photos they'll delete the oldest ones unless you either manually delete some yourself or pay for a pro account.
    OK I have a pro account ..

But might back up anyway on amazon aws to be sure..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Unhappy.
    I also have a pro account, and (had) 6k photos/videos, a mixture of event albums for private sharing, public albums for generic browsing and private albums for archival purposes (duplicating onedrive and an offline USB drive which I both use for archiving).

I've now turn off auto-renewal and deleted 5k photos, keeping just the ones I want to host publically.

Neutral.
    rgfuller wrote: »
    I've now turn off auto-renewal and deleted 5k photos, keeping just the ones I want to host publically.

Too expensive ? Angry at how it was handled ?? Or ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭donegal_man

We just have to accept that every decent free service on the Web is going to disappear over time. There's no way any company was going to continue to provide a Tb of free storage to every user. That said I think limiting the free offer to 1,000 photos and/or videos seems a bit unfair as I can upload the same number of RAW images as the user who only posts quite small or low resolution jpegs even though I'll be using much more space.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Unhappy.
    Too expensive ? Angry at how it was handled ?? Or ?

A bit of both, but to me, it's passed my tipping point and is too expensive for what I get out of it. Also 100% cost increase is taking the proverbial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

At first I was a bit annoyed at the move, but thinking about it, the company has to make money. People getting irate because they are not getting something for free, very entitled. They are entitled to nothing. 1,000 pictures is quite a lot, for me anyway.

I won't be paying for pro as I won't benefit from it, but 40 per year is not bad even if you are not using it to it's full potential. I am more annoyed with the move from Adobe to move to subscription based packages. I am finding that incredibly expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Unhappy.
    annoying thing too is the pro price has doubled, I did pay $25 USD for 1 year, now that will be $50 ....

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

I have several thousand photos on Flickr across multiple albums, mostly family/holiday/hobbies i/e. the usual stuff.

Have rec'd the notification from Flickr that my limit will be 1K photos from nxt week unless I upgrade to subscription 'pro' version.

I don't think the price is overly high (as many have pointed out, giving every user 1TB of storage was never going to be a viable long-term business model !)

My question is, what are my alternatives if I don't want to go down this route ?? My photos used to be on Picasa, so if I don't want to stay with Flickr, what can I choose instead in order to continue to have full access to my photos ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I have over 3,300 pics and paying those prices don't suit me, this all after pix.ie went belly up and I lost years worth of photographs ( I don't back up :P )

So what options would a skinflint like me have?

I don't mind a one off payment but not regular payments and I assume it would be very difficult to get my pics transferred from flickr to a new hosting site?

Neutral.
    you can download them all, there's some option in your profile to 'Request my flickr data' which I think gets you everything in a bunch of zips. Might I suggest that this might be a good time to START backing stuff up, everything should be in at least two locations, ideally more. I have a redundant setup on my own machine, everything there backed up on another drive in a different location, and of course all the shots on flickr, but I don't really regard that as a backup, more a showcase.

Neutral.
    Google photos might be an option, I don't know how much space you get nowadays when you sign up, I've got about 20GB free storage, that would be ample space to upload those 3000 shots assuming you need JPEG only, plus you can buy more if necessary, though that of course will end up costing about the same as Flickr for less space.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I have over 3,300 pics and paying those prices don't suit me, this all after pix.ie went belly up and I lost years worth of photographs ( I don't back up :P )

So what options would a skinflint like me have?

I don't mind a one off payment but not regular payments and I assume it would be very difficult to get my pics transferred from flickr to a new hosting site?

Watch out for flickr deals - I got a yearly subscription for around 30 a year (once off) - thats not bad for unlimited storage - 2.50 cents a month - when you look at what spotify for instance charge for premium ( 10 euros a month). Think flickr is still best photo sharing web-site.

PS you should back-up , large external drives are pretty cheap and easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Unhappy.
    I have 6000 photos to sort.

Help :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I notice I still need a Yahoo address to sign up to Flickr. I wonder will this change?

Advertisement