Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Changes to Improve City Center Journeys

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Well, Sierra Oscar, Prime Time can go Foxtrot Oscar for themselves if that's the level their coverage of the city centre issues is at the Wacky Races level. Blockade the pubs in Donnybrook and then maybe they'll think there is a problem to be solved then.

I'm hoping there's a decent discussion based on the report. Still, better than not being discussed at all I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hugh Jampton

I'm hoping there's a decent discussion based on the report. Still, better than not being discussed at all I guess!

Yup, though going on past form it won't rise above some handwringing about the cost of the Luas project, as if that was going to solve everything by itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Obviously the rules of the road are different to the rules of the track.
    Where's the garda to give the tram driver a ticket for stopping in the yellow box??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

More coverage of the traffic chaos in Dublin City Center.

Gridlocked Taoiseach takes 75 minutes to get to work
    Traffic in Dublin was so bad on Tuesday it took Taoiseach Leo Varadkar 75 minutes to get to work, the Dáil heard.

Mr Varadkar who lives in the Castleknock area of west Dublin said he agreed with his constituency colleague Labour TD Joan Burton, who described the Dublin city centre traffic situation as “just chaos”.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

He should have taken the Luas from Broombridge to Dawson. Right beside the Dail.:D

Like I said, unless you have experienced PT in central Dublin forget about complaining!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

These extremely well paid tools are not living in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Like how he's blaming the sudden congestion on the roaring economy, surprised it wasn't announced in the news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

wacky races

har har!
    cue Muttley in back of an RTE expenses taxi sniggering away at all the fools in the big yellow peasant wagons stuck in traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hugh Jampton

Weird handicap for Luas on the RTE Prime Time section - it never occurred in one bit of Official Ireland that another part needed a permit to film on board, so a ten minute penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

You'd think if you were presenting on Prime Time, you'd lay off driving whilst on the phone?

• Advertisement

Looks like it's all one big laugh judging by that RTÉ report.

It was hardly scientific considering the unnecessary Luas delay due to the camera, but it's still pretty shocking that a car can make it across the city a fair bit quicker than the bus.

Weird handicap for Luas on the RTE Prime Time section - it never occurred in one bit of Official Ireland that another part needed a permit to film on board, so a ten minute penalty.

I missed it but will try get on catch up.

I haven't looked up their bye laws but must be similar to dB where one must give at least 3 weeks notice of intention to film on a vehicle and it can't be done on any in service vehicle....

So basically has to be hired specifically for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Phil.x

The guy from DCC was whipped.

How much was the E-voting disaster 80/100million? for a few boxes of electronics.
    The luas is a bargain on the disaster scale €380 million for 4years of roadworks and disruption, x amount of tracks and trams and the main cause of city wide congestion and it only cost €380million...........rip em up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Looks like it's all one big laugh judging by that RTÉ report.

It was hardly scientific considering the unnecessary Luas delay due to the camera, but it's still pretty shocking that a car can make it across the city a fair bit quicker than the bus.

Not shocking to me at all, sadly. Bus dwell time is unreal, I posted before that it would often take more than one song on my player for the passengers to embark at a bus stop. Several minutes per stop just to load/unload. Single door operation in practice.

strandroad wrote: »
    Not shocking to me at all, sadly. Bus dwell time is unreal, I posted before that it would often take more than one song on my player for the passengers to embark at a bus stop. Several minutes per stop just to load/unload. Single door operation in practice.

Even when there are the middle doors half the bus still uses the front door!
    Drivers need to start telling passengers "back the way you came"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

fritzelly wrote: »

Some drivers won't open the middle door. As a passenger if you miss your stop a few times, you start using the front door again to avoid it.

strandroad wrote: »
    Some drivers won't open the middle door. As a passenger if you miss your stop a few times, you start using the front door again to avoid it.

Only seen that on quiet stops more outside the city or maybe they need more education that when someone presses the bell they want to get off, but they have become complacent that unless they see someone at the front they wont stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

The drivers don't open the middle doors half the time.

Not like its a novelty

726031.jpg

Big thing needs changing is bus stops which can safely accommodate buses to allow for dual door use.

I'm sick of complaining to the nta, dB about it.

Look at rathmines for example. Buses can only get the front nose in with the arse out in traffic as cars can park up to bus stop bays either side and most of the time in bus stops also.

The bus stop bays are not long enough throughout the Dublin region.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I think it's ridiculous that every bus has to use College Green when there are plenty more streets in the city that a bus can use for example Cuffe Street or SSG South is a perfectly wide suitable street for bus running but is not currently used by any DB route. It should be balanced that every street in the CC has an equal number of bus routes running along it rather than a disproportionate number operating on certain streets such The Quays, College Green, Nassau Street, Westmoreland Street and O'Connell Street.

Why not send some cross city around these areas for example a bus travelling westbound from St.Stephens Green towards the Quays could travel SSG South, Cuffe Street, Kevin Street right onto Patrick Street left onto High Street right onto Bridge Street Lwr. and onto the South Quays with Southbound buses turning right from the North Quays onto Fr. Matthew Bridge or a bus travelling Northbound from Leeson could turn right onto Fitzwilliam Street, Merrion Sq. East left onto Merrion Sq. North right onto Lincoln Place, Westland Row, Lombard Street left onto City Quay and right onto Butt Bridge and Northbound from Beresford Place onto Amiens Street.

If those streets were car free or had decent bus lanes it would be possible. It seems the transport planners think bus commuters are incabible of walking and only go into the CC to shop and must be dropped as near as possible to the main shopping streets when that is clearly not the case. Bus users can get off and walk to wherever in The CC they are going.

No matter how bus priority given on College its not going to solve any traffic issues. Even if you got rid of every private bus, every taxi and The Luas it would only ease but not solve any problems as DB buses would still be clogging up the area obstructing one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Well, it was not a decent discussion as it turned out.
    Somebody representing Dublin City Council called Paddy Smith (Party affiliation not given on lazy RTE captioning) and Conor Faughnan (AA) talking about buses and trams and taxis and cars competing for road space. Not a single mention in the discussion of the DART or the proposed Dart Underground as if the only place public transport can go is on the street.

Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

This is not 'very Irish'. Trams are run like this all over Europe. Public transport takes priority over any other form of transport bar emergency services.

Pedestrian and cyclelane lights should flash orange (tram symbol) or go red as a tram approaches / is x amount of seconds away. You have to ensure a reliable and safe service.
    Blame the trams all you want but this isn't a new problem in Dublin cc. 2 issues...far too many taxis and no underground relief roads/underpasses you'd see in cities of various sizes all around the world. Its all just converges into 1 blob of s**t

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Any driver telling passengers that leaves themselves liable to a meeting with their Manager.

Currently,passengers may disembark via either door.

Whilst there are directions regarding boarding at the front door only,no such directions (or signage) exist to compel passengers to exit via the centre doors.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/About-Us/Dublin-Bus-Bye-Laws/Boarding-and-Alighting/
    8. Where notices are exhibited on a vehicle indicating that a door shall be used for entrance and another door for exit (except in the case of an accident or other emergency or with the consent of an authorised person) a person shall not board or attempt to board the vehicle by the door indicated for exit or alight from or attempt to alight from the vehicle by the door indicated for entrance.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Arely Melodic Taco

Drove into dolier st this week. It's worse with the recent changes.
    Taking me 10-15 minutes to get the length of dolier st to the Townsend st turnoff.

I'll be back on the bike this week.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Any driver telling passengers that leaves themselves liable to a meeting with their Manager.

Currently,passengers may disembark via either door.

Whilst there are directions regarding boarding at the front door only,no such directions (or signage) exist to compel passengers to exit via the centre doors.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/About-Us/Dublin-Bus-Bye-Laws/Boarding-and-Alighting/

Can't say I've seen any notices so maybe it's time they started putting notices up else what was the point of buying these buses (guess the constant announcement is not good enough)

Drove into dolier st this week. It's worse with the recent changes.
    Taking me 10-15 minutes to get the length of dolier st to the Townsend st turnoff.

I'll be back on the bike this week.

Was never gonna happen, diverting buses just left more room for vans, taxis, cars to fill up the gap
    Going to work today northbound from dame st, was 6 taxis in a row behind a bus, 3 empty, 2 had 1 passenger and 1 had 2 passengers - none of them let the bus in.
    Leaving that taxi rank there is just encouraging taxis to keep going that way

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The least efficient road users should be the ones to lose out and they are cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I wouldnt mind but Leo lives less than a 60 second walk from Coolmine train station from where he could get into Pearse station in about 25 minutes and then a 5 minute walk to work in Merrion St. Door to door it could be done in 30-35 minutes so if he spent 75 minutes in his chauffeur driven car then thats tough cookie when he has a perfectly acceptable alternative right on his doorstep.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I wouldnt mind but Leo lives less than a 60 second walk from Coolmine train station from where he could get into Pearse station in about 25 minutes and then a 5 minute walk to work in Merrion St. Door to door it could be done in 30-35 minutes so if he spent 75 minutes in his chauffeur driven car then thats tough cookie when he has a perfectly acceptable alternative right on his doorstep.

But...but...but...he doesn't want to be on a train where there isn't even standing room.

Advertisement