Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mature medicine 2016

Options
  • 27-02-2016 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi folks,

Hope everything went well in the HPAT today. Just starting this in the hope it can help the 2016 mature medicine applicants when is comes to interview & offers. I've applied to RCSI, TCD, UCD and NUIG.
    With regard to the HPAT, I did all the acer mock papers ( hit in the the range of 160-183) but really can't say how well/or bad I've done in the actual exam😑
    How did the rest of you find the HPAT today?
    What university (s) are people looking at?
    Best of luck to you all!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Forum Requests

• Registered Users Posts: 16 blahbaba

Following! I will be applying next year, sitting leaving cert biology in June after just finishing the NUIG access course there, have my place on medical science level 8 in gmit for Sept 2016 so then hope to apply for medicine 2017 but since I've got first year science I'd most probably get into 5 year they said. However it seems highly unlikely to get it first year from reading previous threads. I will however try for a second year too. Will only be applying to NUIG though as I've 3 kids and family here so it's my only option realistically. If you don't try you will never know!
    Have been looking at HPAT and can't wait to test myself but have one last chemistry exam to study for from the access course this year on Tuesday so after that.
    I'm a bit worried about all the expierene people have for personal statement as I'm not really in a position to do much....

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Enda62

Hi blahbaba

Just to say best of luck.
    Sounds like you have a good plan, preparing yourself for the 5 year course and are realistic with yourself about studying medicine.
    A few tips/my experience going through the process this year:
    -Start collecting the relevant documents that will be required for your application early. It takes the pressure off when it comes to focusing on the actual HPAT
    - Invest in the past HPAT papers from acer. Practice under exam conditions at 1st. This will show your strong section and the section where you may need to focus on. Plan to increase your weakest section 1st.
    - Read problem/quiz books. Not necessarily HPAT specific but this will start to get you in that mind set.
    - I didn't invest in any course as felt it's a bit of a money racket. But have heard of others that found them helpful. I managed to get a steady improvement myself by just repeat practice over time.
    - Go to the mature entry open day in NUIG. Some very useful advise and info, also give some good advice on how to prepare your statement.
    - start thinking of your financial plan (always a sensitive subject but it is something to consider and plan for early)

Yep, you're right. If you don't try the answer is always no:-)

The 2016 HPAT results should be out by the end of April. I'll keep in touch and let you know how it goes.

Best of luck to all mature applicants this year and indeed next.

Best of luck with the results and hopefully your interviews! I've just been advised by nuig that you don't need a personal statement it's only on HPAT scores and interview.

I've got one accer paper already but haven't had much time to go over. Did section 2 in 25 mins 80% right though. Section 1 will be my weak point I think!

What did you think of real paper compared to the accer ones?

Defiantly let me know how you did compared to your practice ones so I know what to expect!

If I get into 5 year medicine im pretty sure my grant continues on since its into the second year but need to make sure but I'm not holding my breath on getting in first time round but wouldn't be able to afford to try more than 2 years unfortunately.

Cheers!!

Yep the acer papers were very helpful. Only thing is the limited amount available. As in, the risk that your score improves due to remembering that paper as opposed to actually problem solving.
    Other papers from ******** were good to start off but more to help with technique versus content. I tended to score very high in those papers....but not realistic score. However, I found the greatest help was with section 3 improvement for that particular paper set.
    The acer sample papers were very good. I was hitting the 160 -180 range however did feel that the real exam was tough.
    section 1 contained a lot of visual problem solving questions, ended with having two answers that were really close in a lot of questions so just picked one of them instead of wasting time. This may have backed fired,only time will tell.
    For section 2, mature entry applicants tend to score well as we have a little more live experience I think. On the day I was happy up until question 30, then had to speed read the last few questions due to time.
    Section 3 was as expected, again some questions you end up with two similar options so I just picked one, again timing is your enemy with the HPAT.

Not sure how any of the other mature applicants felt about it???

That's interesting about NUIG and the personal statement. I'm not sure if you will still need to add a personal statement during the CAO application?
    Is the interview format still the same in NUIG?

This is my 1st time applying also, so just have to wait and see how things go, what, if any interview offers I get. I am hopeful but also realise that this is a very competitive process. But it's something that I've been thinking of doing for awhile... Now I've done it I just have to see where it finishes:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BeansandToast

Hi,

Hope everyone was happy with their hpat. Has anyone heard anything from rcsi? My score isn't as strong as last year, so I'm afraid I won't even get invited to submit documents :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Princess Blondie

Hi BeansandToast. I got an email from RCSI at 11:15 asking to submit documents. Its my first time applying so Im new to the programme! Do they only invite certain scores and above to submit documents? Hopefully you'll have received your email by now...

Hi BeansandToast. I got an email from RCSI at 11:15 asking to submit documents. Its my first time applying so Im new to the programme! Do they only invite certain scores and above to submit documents? Hopefully you'll have received your email by now...

Hi blondie,

Yeah I got an email there at 11.11. My phone didn't show me the email for some reason.

At the mature evening, they said it wouldn't matter much. However I have a friend in rcsi doing mature and they were specifically told that hpat is a shortlist for potential interview applicants.

Countering this, another friend of mine is applying via mature and he did poorly this year, yet got the email too. So I imagine they'll review everyone's documents. Regardless of the outcome, you'll know by may 12th by the latest from what the email says.

Are you applying to just rcsi or the others as well? If you don't mind me asking

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Princess Blondie

Hi blondie,

Yeah I got an email there at 11.11. My phone didn't show me the email for some reason.

At the mature evening, they said it wouldn't matter much. However I have a friend in rcsi doing mature and they were specifically told that hpat is a shortlist for potential interview applicants.

Countering this, another friend of mine is applying via mature and he did poorly this year, yet got the email too. So I imagine they'll review everyone's documents. Regardless of the outcome, you'll know by may 9th by the latest from what the email says.

Are you applying to just rcsi or the others as well? If you don't mind me asking

Im applying to all. I would have done the GAMSAT but it seemed so daunting and I didn't have the time to prepare. Im a mature applicant too so hoping to get the 5 year course. Its a big step, a life changer!

Im applying to all. I would have done the GAMSAT but it seemed so daunting and I didn't have the time to prepare. Im a mature applicant too so hoping to get the 5 year course. Its a big step, a life changer!

Yeah it's a whopper of an exam alright. If you're not successful this year I'd advise sitting it in the UK in sept, then again in Ireland next March.

Yeah it really is, massive, especially if you have family and such.

At least we have this thread to vent our anxiety on with the upcoming weeks.

• Advertisement

Hi folks,

Hope everyone is happy with the results. Got e-mail from RCSI requesting submission of supporting documentation. So overall very happy with that.
    So can I ask, does anyone have any advice for the personal statement?

Best of luck to everyone this year.

Would be interested to know how well people scored in the HPAT compared to what they expected from doing ACER sample papers? Even if you just wanted to share how much lower/higher rather than your scores.

Congrats to everyone and wishing you the best of luck with this next part of the process.

I'm in NUIG at the moment(not medicine) and have been told by someone in there that last year's lowest HPAT to get interview was 167 if that's useful information to anyone :)

blahbaba wrote: »
    Would be interested to know how well people scored in the HPAT compared to what they expected from doing ACER sample papers? Even if you just wanted to share how much lower/higher rather than your scores.

Congrats to everyone and wishing you the best of luck with this next part of the process.

I'm in NUIG at the moment(not medicine) and have been told by someone in there that last year's lowest HPAT to get interview was 167 if that's useful information to anyone :)

As far as I'm aware, NUIG are the only ones who heavily emphasise the HPAT. you have to be in top ten % of mature applicants to get invited to interview. Seeing as on average 140 - 150 students apply for mature medicine every where, this roughly equals out to the amount NUIG interview - 15.

My score dropped from last year, but I was much busier regarding work, so it was expected. Regarding how I did in ACER practice compared to the HPAT? I would reduce my score by 15 - 20 %. Not much to go off other than this is reflective of my scores both years.

Personally I'd love NUIG, but I know this year my HPAT is too weak. Last year was v. strong.

Here's hoping it all works out for us anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mostlycircles

Hi guys! So sat the HPAT this year. Was scoring 160-180 in practice tests in the lead up but only ended up with 140 yesterday (i got between 150 and 160 in previous attempts). Very disappointing. I rang rcsi and they said the everyone who got over 100 was sent an email to submit documents. Based on those, candidates will then be further shortlisted for interviews.

Spoke to Ucd and this year cut off was 160 give or take. So that's out for me. Galway and cork haven't determined a cut off yet and regarding trinity, I didn't ask. Hope this helps.

Good luck to everyone, I know this is a rough time. This is my third attempt... Fingers crossed something comes of it this time!

Hi guys! So sat the HPAT this year. Was scoring 160-180 in practice tests in the lead up but only ended up with 140 yesterday (i got between 150 and 160 in previous attempts). Very disappointing. I rang rcsi and they said the everyone who got over 100 was sent an email to submit documents. Based on those, candidates will then be further shortlisted for interviews.

Spoke to Ucd and this year cut off was 160 give or take. So that's out for me. Galway and cork haven't determined a cut off yet and regarding trinity, I didn't ask. Hope this helps.

Good luck to everyone, I know this is a rough time. This is my third attempt... Fingers crossed something comes of it this time!

Hi cycles. Nice to see another person doing another round. I've never really counted UCD because of how "reluctant", for lack of a better word, they are to take on mature students because of the GEM.

Also this year's HPAT was horrible. I scored a good bit weaker than last year, so even if I get RCSI interview, I know that'll go against me, as I've heard they look at HPAT differences if you've applied consecutively. Just hearsay anyway.

Hi guys, has anyone had any further contact with the colleges?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sjr80

Enda62 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Hope everyone is happy with the results. Got e-mail from RCSI requesting submission of supporting documentation. So overall very happy with that.
    So can I ask, does anyone have any advice for the personal statement?

Best of luck to everyone this year.

No, my hpat was poor so wasn't expecting anything. I wonder if NUIG has been in touch with anyone yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sjr80

Hi guys, has anyone had any further contact with the colleges?

No my hpat was poor so presume I won't be hearing from them!! I wonder what the cut off for NUIG was?

sjr80 wrote: »
    No my hpat was poor so presume I won't be hearing from them!! I wonder what the cut off for NUIG was?

I'm pretty sure NUIG rank the hpat high enough for the shortlist anyway. I got an offer for trinity interview there recently. Just under 2 weeks notice.

Think cork usually give feedback mid June

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ahorseortwo

Hey All ... first time poster going through this process this year also .

HPAT was weak compared wth other attempts but did get an invite to interview from Trinity for two weeks time.
    Was also asked to submit documents to RCSI.

Interested to know if anyone has hear anything from UCC . I was hoping to hear from them too but nothing yet ... Anyone else get word on when interviews might be in Cork ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mostlycircles

Interested to know if anyone has hear anything from UCC . I was hoping to hear from them too but nothing yet ... Anyone else get word on when interviews might be in Cork ?

Hey! I rang UCC and they said interviews will be late May to early June. She said they give good notice, usually about two weeks. She wasn't able to give me any information on cut offs but she asked me what i got (140) and she said that I shouldn't worry just yet. They look at supporting documents and life experience etc. too. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Hey! I rang UCC and they said interviews will be late May to early June.

That is helpful, thanks. I had called them myself but got nowhere with whomever I spoke with... Here's hoping for May anyways. The process has been drawn out long enough at this stage.

My understanding is that UCC have the least focus on HPAT scores, with their spots reserved only for those who cannot apply via LC or GAMSAT routes. I spoke to a student at their open evening before Christmas who entered last year who's score was around a 120.

Hopefully we'll know one way or the other by the end of the month!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jamesmcsweeney

Hi I'm also a first time applicant waiting for UCC!!! I was at the open night too!!! Just wondering do you have a degree? Also what's your prep for applying? hospital placements? volunteer work? etc. seeing as it's only my frst attempt i'm trying to keep a level head but of course I'm secretly hoping i'll make it ths year - like everyone else!!!

Hi @ahorseortwo I'm also a first time applicant waiting for UCC!!! I was at the open night too!!! Just wondering do you have a degree? Also what's your prep for applying? hospital placements? volunteer work? etc. seeing as it's only my frst attempt i'm trying to keep a level head but of course I'm secretly hoping i'll make it ths year - like everyone else!!!

Hi James .. I don't already have a degree. I didn't complete my first degree , which was Science. I work in hospitals as a HCA and have strong voluntary experience going back a few years which varies from medical to non medical. I did manage to get a placement with a GP but thats really all the additional prep I have done for the application.
    What's your own background ? Have you applied to other colleges too ? Heard anything back from anywhere?

What's everyone's preferred college if you don't mind me asking? I know we'd all happily take anywhere, but does anyone have a particular preference? Trinity is my preferred one!

Hi beansandtoast

Best of luck with Trinity. It is also my 1st choice.However, still waiting for that e-mailðŸ˜
    I live in Dublin and so would prefer to get an offer from any of the Dublin universities. More to save on the cost of having to move......But like the rest of us I would take any offer for medicine.

My choices are, so far, TCD ( followed closely by the remaining Dublin universities) Cork then Galway.
    Have you sat any interviews for medicine before? If so any advice?

Hi @ahorseortwo Thanks for your reply. I've a science degree and have worked for the last few years but have no direct patient contact. I think that will be a HUGH advantage for you. My prep was stop and go! I found it really difficult to get a GP placement in cork so I got a week with a GP in Dublin. I have volunteered since secondary school but again judging from the posts I think everyone has a fair bit of volunteer work. So Far, I have had a reuest for documentation from RCSI and an interview offer from Trinity but nothing from NUIG, UCD or UCC but Cork is my number one choice so thats what I'm hoping for. What about yurself are you hoping to stay in Cork? Do you know anyone else applying? PM me if you can.

Enda62 wrote: »
    Hi beansandtoast

Best of luck with Trinity. It is also my 1st choice.However, still waiting for that e-mailðŸ˜
    I live in Dublin and so would prefer to get an offer from any of the Dublin universities. More to save on the cost of having to move......But like the rest of us I would take any offer for medicine.

My choices are, so far, TCD ( followed closely by the remaining Dublin universities) Cork then Galway.
    Have you sat any interviews for medicine before? If so any advice?

Same as myself. I'm a Dublin local, so the financial move is Dublin unis first, plus I like the structure of the course. We'll make a deal that if we both get a Dublin college we should have a drink to celebrate our return to college as the oldies lol :)

I haven't. I applied solely to RCSI last year and never made it to interview stage. I don't think we'll hear anything from UCC and NUIG till mid May. UCD is always up in the air if they even take on one mature.

I work with a few consultants, and I asked one who knows I'm applying. She said that if they are bringing you to interview, they want you to get it. Just have to assure them that you're the best fit.

I'm currently going over LC biology as I have to sit that this year. Such a nightmare with the RCSI docs, TCD interview and work is pretty stressful at the minute too. Hopefully it pans out for all of us!!

If you don't mind me asking, what date is your interview? I'm on Tuesday the 3rd

• Advertisement

Ive an afternoon slot.

Fair play to you. Not an easy thing to do, but does show how much you want medicine. And yep it's a bit mental getting all of the prep work, docs and studying while also working. But it will be worth it when it pays off for you.

Great to see you have a health care background, I'm sure that will help hugely. Plus I'm sure you will have a few excellent references!!

I'm in the civil service myself so do lack on the clinical exposure side of things, but this is my 1st year applying so really just using it as a trial run. Taking any advice I can get and trying to bring up my patient contact as best I can. ( I do have a strong volunteering background so hoping to tap into that where I can)

Best of luck with the LC biology. I take it you will be looking forward to a good summer of relaxation.

Advertisement