Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VirginMedia@360M - Compal Modem / Hub 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Rokta wrote: »
    That is somehow silly.... took them about 10 minutes to deactivate my Horizon Box but I am still on 240 instead of 360...

Was your changeover done during Mon-Fri
    It's very annoying that I have to wait 48 hours is that because it's saturday and I have to wait till Mon/Tue

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

It was on Friday but still no upgrade in speeds....

It was on Friday but still no upgrade in speeds....

Thanks for your reply
    I just had my new virgin hub become active in the last hour

I'm also waiting for the new speeds to be applied
    I'm still on 240mb download and 24mb upload

I will call them shortly to get them to change my profile to the new speed
    That should be just a few mouse clicks to change the profile

I did and I got told to wait..... Was busy so not really pushy on my side.

• Same story here. Hub arrived yesterday and still on 240. Rang this morning and was told the profile changes can only be applied by the cork office (got through to limerick) which is closed at the weekend. Disappointing seing as I ordered it on Tuesday...

• Advertisement

I have noticed the 5ghz wifi ssid from the horizon box is still broadcasting
    It dont of course have an active network connection but how do we now turn the horizon 5ghz ssid wifi off with the broadband now coming from the new virgin hub it's not possible to get access to the web page login of the router on the horizon

Reason I mention this is others in my home might still try to connect to the horizon 5ghz ssid and then be wondering why they don't have active wifi network working but are connected
    Very strange the horizon 5ghz Wifi is broadcasting yet the horizon 2.4ghz ssid is not broadcasting

paulboland wrote: »
    I have noticed the 5ghz wifi ssid from the horizon box is still broadcasting
    It dont of course have an active network connection but how do we now turn the horizon 5ghz ssid wifi off with the broadband now coming from the new virgin hub it's not possible to get access to the web page login of the router on the horizon

Reason I mention this is others in my home might still try to connect to the horizon 5ghz ssid and then be wondering why they don't have active wifi network working but are connected
    Very strange the horizon 5ghz Wifi is broadcasting yet the horizon 2.4ghz ssid is not broadcasting

You can either use the wifi connection to connect to the horizon box and access admin and turn it off or you connect your PC via cable to it and do the same. When you did this connect the horizon box to your new router via a cable, go to advanced settings on the TV for your box and setup lan modus for your box. This will turn off the DHCP server in the box and the box will be in your network at home and accessible for streaming.

You can either use the wifi connection to connect to the horizon box and access admin and turn it off or you connect your PC via cable to it and do the same. When you did this connect the horizon box to your new router via a cable, go to advanced settings on the TV for your box and setup lan modus for your box. This will turn off the DHCP server in the box and the box will be in your network at home and accessible for streaming.

I already changed the horizon setup to join network as in to connect to the new virgin media hub by Ethernet connection so streaming can be done from my media servers on my PC etc and that works fine

I managed to find out the ip4 default horizon box ip address and connected to that to turn off the horizon 5ghz wifi from my pc connected to the virgin media hub

No wifi is broadcasting from the horizon now which is what I wanted

ED E wrote: »
    ID = TM = VM = Lyca = Blueface = Postfone. They're all MVNOs on Three.

Only people not on threes network are Meteor/Emob and Vodafone.
    Not true. Tesco and Lyca are on the old O2 (272-02) network only. ID and VM are on the actual Three (272-05) network.

Aren't Postfone a Vodafone MVNO?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Karsini wrote: »
    Not true. Tesco and Lyca are on the old O2 (272-02) network only. ID and VM are on the actual Three (272-05) network.

Yup, all true, one of the reasons I'm happy to be on Tesco Mobile, even though they don't have 4G, it is on the much more reliable old o2 network for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Karsini wrote: »

Doh, my mistake. Sorry folks.

48 are presumably on 272.

Am I right in saying that three were planning to merge down to a single network?

ED E wrote: »
    Doh, my mistake. Sorry folks.

48 are presumably on 272.

Am I right in saying that three were planning to merge down to a single network?
    Yep, it's planned but could take a couple of years. 48 are also on O2 alright. Same backend infrastructure as Tesco.

Still on 240....

My speed updated this evening around 17.30
    Router automatically rebooted power off/on and after reboot the new speed was applied

I did 2 speed tests at 17.30 and got 320mb-340mb download and 37mb upload

I will test in the morning when I get home to test outside peak hours to see if I get 360mb

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

My Hub was showing 21 Downstream bonded channels and 5 Upstream bonded channels, but now it is showing only 1 Upstream bonded channels!!!
    still no upgrade in speed

Also does the green light on Wireless stays on or dose it disappear even when using the internet, mine comes on for 2 minutes after reseting Hub and disappear after that so I only have the white light and nothing else

kamin99 wrote: »
    My Hub was showing 21 Downstream bonded channels and 5 Upstream bonded channels, but now it is showing only 1 Upstream bonded channels!!!
    still no upgrade in speed

Also does the green light on Wireless stays on or dose it disappear even when using the internet, mine comes on for 2 minutes after reseting Hub and disappear after that so I only have the white light and nothing else
    Normal operation only the white light is on
    After a power reboot Wifi/Internet/Phone lights go green
    This is the router checking each service

When the router is ready for use only the White light remains on

Normal operation only the white light is on
    After a power reboot Wifi/Internet/Phone lights go green
    This is the router checking each service

When the router is ready for use only the White light remains on

cool and very reassuring that my Hub is not faulty, but why did my Upstream bonded channels changed from 5 to one only

kamin99 wrote: »
    cool and very reassuring that my Hub is not faulty, but why did my Upstream bonded channels changed from 5 to one only
    They have this router set at 16 channels downstream and 4 upstream at the moment

Power off/on the router if that don't fix do a factory reset

Wait till the router finished its reboot before using it takes about 3-5min

I have noticed one strange thing in list of connected devices

A base10/100 device sometimes shows up connected at 10mbps instead of 100mbps

The actual speed though is correct in terms of actual speed achieved by the device

This mostly happening with powerline dLan adaptors that include wifi and that are 10/100 base-tx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

The actual speed though is correct in terms of actual speed achieved by the device

This mostly happening with powerline dLan adaptors that include wifi and that are 10/100 base-tx

I have the same with several Sonos Play devices that are more than 30 meters away from the Sonos Boost Device. However I have no issue playing even High Definition Sound on it.

• Advertisement

They have this router set at 16 channels downstream and 4 upstream at the moment

Power off/on the router if that don't fix do a factory reset

Wait till the router finished its reboot before using it takes about 3-5min

perfect sorted thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JAOC

What has happened to the devices that previously used the powerline adapt ore. Did speed increase or decrease or fit they bypass the adapter and get higher speed directly from the new hub?

JAOC wrote: »
    What has happened to the devices that previously used the powerline adapt ore. Did speed increase or decrease or fit they bypass the adapter and get higher speed directly from the new hub?
    The link speeds on devolo dLan cockpit increased since the speed upgrade was average 190/230 now it's 320/315

I only tested the wifi from the devolo powerline dLan adaptor and that was fine 48mb download same as before and the upload speed updated to 37mb

The wifi speed test was not in the same room as the devolo powerline wifi adaptor

It must be an error in the firmware of the router as I also have a 100 base -tx device connected to a switch also show up as 10mbps connected but was running fine

The info shown in connected devices for speed connected at is only accurate for the router wifi connections and a PC connected to gigabyte port

Powerline all devices running from the powerline be it wired or wireless is listed as 10mbps even though actual speed is more than that

A switch I also have connected some 100 base tx devices have listed as 10mbps while other show correct 100mbps and some times gets listed as 1000 which is impossible as the switch is only a 10/100 base tx switch

I have a tp link gigabyte switch arriving tomorrow and will test to see what all devices get listed as when connected to the gigabyte switch

• Registered Users Posts: 5 JAOC

The link speeds on devolo dLan cockpit increased since the speed upgrade was average 190/230 now it's 320/315

I only tested the wifi from the devolo powerline dLan adaptor and that was fine 48mb download same as before and the upload speed updated to 37mb

The wifi speed test was not in the same room as the wifi adaptor

It must be an error in the firmware of the router as I also had a 100 base -tx device connected to a switch also show up as 10mbps connected but was running fine

The info shown in connected devices for speed connected at is only accurate for the router wifi connections and a PC connected to gigabyte port

Powerline all devices running from the powerline be it wired or wireless is listed as 10mbps even though actual speed is more than that

A switch I also have connected some 100 base tx devices have listed as 10mbps while other show correct 100mbps and some times gets listed as 1000 which is impossible as the switch is only a 10/100 base tx switch

I have a to link gigabyte switch arriving tomorrow and will test to see what the all devices get listed as when connected to the switch

Thank you. I was hoping that contention on the 2.4Ghz band channels reduce as more devices moved to the 5Ghz band. Interesting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

It must be an error in the firmware of the router as I also have a 100 base -tx device connected to a switch also show up as 10mbps connected but was running fine

I agree with you, when I run network diagnostics or speed tests on the devices that Virgin Media Hub says has a 10 Mbps connection I am getting results that I would expect from the units.

I also observed that the Mbps value changes over time, for Wifi I would expect but for LAN it something goes from 10 to 100 to 1000 and back.

The DHCP server is a bit funny on that one.... Submitted constantly the wrong gateway to all devices, in my case the IP of my horizon box that was set into LAN mode with its DHCP server off (I double checked). Factory reset solved it for now...

Speed wise.... well, peek time was around 280, off peak however nearly 370.

• My advice if you use torrent protocols or even downloading at the full speed available for sustained periods then you should put the compal into bridge mode straight away.

After periods of heavy use the router slows to a crawl. Wifi sessions become unusably slow and the router can't be accessed via GUI without restarting it.

Very disappointing that my aging ASUS N56U router outperforms the Compal in every way.

Even after a reboot the Compal is still considerably slower to load websites than the old ASUS on LAN pc's and on devices on both 2.4 and 5GHz.

Into modem mode and the problems disappear.

edit: The hardware NAT offload on the ASUS may be differance on large downloads maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Speed wise.... well, peek time was around 280, off peak however nearly 370.

When you were on 240 did you ever see the effects of contention?

edit: The hardware NAT offload on the ASUS may be differance on large downloads maybe?

Its not the size/speed that matters, its the number of connections. HTTP downloads use 1 connection, a large well seeded torrent could use 100. Thats what topples crappy routers.

• ED E wrote: »
    Its not the size/speed that matters, its the number of connections. HTTP downloads use 1 connection, a large well seeded torrent could use 100. Thats what topples crappy routers.

Sorry wasn't clear, These large files were torrents. Maybe only 60/70 seeders connected and downloading at full speed. I guess companies like Virgin still only spend just enough on the internals of these to cater to basic browsing and HTTP/FTP downloading. Anything more strenuous is probably seen as only used by a tiny fraction of customers and therefore not worth the extra cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

So has anyone use the Compal on its own as it's primary modem/router?

I hear mixed reviews, that it cant handle high usage over a sustained period, wifi dropping and such.

Is the only way to maximise the benefit is buy an extra Wireless AC router with better specs?

Advertisement