Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-12-2015, 12:34   #16
tickingclock

Totally agree with wearing skinny jeans during pregnancy and for a few weeks after also!! Just buy everything in your normal size. I bought one over bump pair and hated them. I loved the new look under bump skinny jeans. They washed well and I lived in them. It amazes me that Pennys and Dunnes don't do basic pregnancy clothes even just six essential items.
I lived in skinny jeans, maternity tops and various cardigans of my own.
Best of luck with the pregnancy
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-12-2015, 07:04   #17
Novella

I bought two pairs of maternity skinny jeans from asos and they were good and reasonably priced too. I much preferred wearing my regular jeans though and just leaving them open with a bump band over the top. Did that for my entire pregnancy and found it really comfy.

Congratulations by the way, enjoy your pregnancy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthfins View Post
Skinny jeans during pregnancy ???
Are you serious ?

From what I can remember most of my female friends needed something more comfortable and slightly loose during pregnancy.
Water retention alone can be a hindrance,each to their own and all that.
I wore skinny jeans throughout my pregnancy, including the day I went into labour. I found them really comfortable. I think it's important to be able to maintain your own personal style while pregnant (if that matters to you). Putting on weight can make you feel down in yourself and it's nice to still wear things that you like and not feel like you have to wear huge, baggy clothes for months. Though it is totally fine to do that, if you want to of course!
Thanks from:
25-12-2015, 18:34   #18
rainbow kirby

I'm living in Gap full panel skinny jeans at the moment (almost 28 weeks). Love them. Under the bump jeans don't work for me at all because I'm carrying quite low.

I haven't found much in-store anywhere that I liked apart from a few tops in the large retail park branches of Mothercare.

Last edited by rainbow kirby; 25-12-2015 at 18:39.
Thanks from:
25-12-2015, 20:07   #19
Roxirose

H&m without a doubt. The softest most comfy jeans ever!
(2) thanks from:
25-12-2015, 22:19   #20
Ciarrai76

I'll have to take a trip to Dublin soon! ��
Advertisement
26-12-2015, 08:23   #21
How Strange

Definitely h&m. Their maternity jeans are so confirm but look lovely on. I was actually a bit sad after both pregnancies when I had to stop wearing them.
Thanks from:
26-12-2015, 09:49   #22
meeeeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciarrai76 View Post
I'll have to take a trip to Dublin soon! ��
If it is just to buy maternity clothes don't. You will be sick of whatever you buy at the end anyway. I like H&M and for me getting capsule wardrobe of mix and match pieces worked. No matter how good maternity clothes are they are made to last you the whole pregnancy so the fit won't be great.
26-12-2015, 16:18   #23

I don't have kids myself, but my friend was pregnant earlier on this year and I went shopping with her. She bought two pairs of skinny jeans, one in New Look and one in H&M and she found they both fairly good, comfy, lasted well for her pregnancy. I think they were somewhere between €20-€30.
I remember looking at clothes in Mothercare with her and they were all pretty expensive, but also very old fashioned. My friend bought one or two maternity tops, but she was pregnant during the summer so she just wore a lot of strappy/vest tops with a long cardi over them. She's just over 5 feet, so the tops were stretchy and long enough to still cover her bump.

Congrats on your pregnancy OP. Wishing you all the best
Thanks from:
26-12-2015, 16:24   #24
Ciarrai76

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhubarbCrumble View Post
I don't have kids myself, but my friend was pregnant earlier on this year and I went shopping with her. She bought two pairs of skinny jeans, one in New Look and one in H&M and she found they both fairly good, comfy, lasted well for her pregnancy. I think they were somewhere between €20-€30.
I remember looking at clothes in Mothercare with her and they were all pretty expensive, but also very old fashioned. My friend bought one or two maternity tops, but she was pregnant during the summer so she just wore a lot of strappy/vest tops with a long cardi over them. She's just over 5 feet, so the tops were stretchy and long enough to still cover her bump.

Congrats on your pregnancy OP. Wishing you all the best
thanks! Looks like I'll be pregnant for Winter, spring & some of the summer, so I need to invest wisely! haha!

As long as I've a few pairs of jeans to keep me going I'll be fine as I've loads of nice baggy/loose tops that I wear anyway. I know not to buy too much stuff while pregnant, but I don't want to get fed up with wearing the same things over & over either!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-12-2015, 16:25   #25
Ciarrai76

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeeeh View Post
If it is just to buy maternity clothes don't. You will be sick of whatever you buy at the end anyway. I like H&M and for me getting capsule wardrobe of mix and match pieces worked. No matter how good maternity clothes are they are made to last you the whole pregnancy so the fit won't be great.
I'll have to go to Dublin or Cork regardless as there's no H&M or anything like that in Kerry! I need a trip to IKEA anyway and I love going to Dublin, so any excuse!
26-12-2015, 16:37   #26

Quote:
I was told those under the bump ones were annoying, so not to bother with them!
I wouldn't rule out the under-bump ones. I got a Red Herring pair of skinny jeans in Debenhams that I practically lived in during the pregnancy, and they were great for the couple of weeks after the birth also. They were extremely comfortable. Just make sure to wear a long vest top underneath whatever else you're wearing, just in case!

My other main pair of jeans were black over-the-bump skinnies from H&M. Also very comfortable! The over-the-bump were probably comfier than the under-bump ones in later pregnancy alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthfins View Post
Skinny jeans during pregnancy ???
Are you serious ?

From what I can remember most of my female friends needed something more comfortable and slightly loose during pregnancy.
Water retention alone can be a hindrance,each to their own and all that.
Why on earth would you not wear them during pregnancy? So long as they're well-fitting, no reason they can't be comfortable.

You do realise that they aren't "skinny" around the bump? And not everyone is affected by water retention.

Most maternity tops will obviously be quite loose/baggy, so it's nice to have fitted jeans or trousers so that you don't feel like a total blimp!
(2) thanks from:
26-12-2015, 16:48   #27
Ciarrai76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Doll View Post
I wouldn't rule out the under-bump ones. I got a Red Herring pair of skinny jeans in Debenhams that I practically lived in during the pregnancy, and they were great for the couple of weeks after the birth also. They were extremely comfortable. Just make sure to wear a long vest top underneath whatever else you're wearing, just in case!

My other main pair of jeans were black over-the-bump skinnies from H&M. Also very comfortable! The over-the-bump were probably comfier than the under-bump ones in later pregnancy alright.
I haven't even tried on the under the bump ones yet so not going to rule them out yet. They seem a better option for the early days.

My husband very thoughtfully bought me some of those clips you can put on the buttons of my normal jeans so I can leave the button open, but still be secure! He's so sweet to have thought to get a pack for me
I haven't put on weight yet, nor have I much of a bump, so for now I'm managing to keep wearing my normal jeans! Not sure for how much longer! I wore a dress yesterday for Christmas, and my tummy was quite noticeable...especially after dinner! lol
26-12-2015, 16:55   #28

Quote:
And what basics should I get? especially for the first few months?
Oh as for what else to wear! The majority of my "maternity clothes" were regular clothes, but in different styles and sizes than what I'd usually wear. I went to my work Christmas party at over 8 months pregnant in a regular wrap-around dress from Wallis, just one size up from what I'd usually wear, and it was perfect for my mum afterwards. Similarly my winter coat was from Next and just one size up but not a style I'd usually wear, again my mum was delighted to get it afterwards! It's worth going around your usual shops, but with a really open mind about what non-maternity stuff might work with the bump.

Jeans/trousers, I did find it necessary to get the maternity versions, however I never tried the bump bands that everyone raves about!

Non-maternity long loose vest tops from Penneys, with a cardi over, are great. Very cheap and will do you to the very end! The cardi will probably be fine in your usual size.

It's worth getting your bra refitted a couple of times throughout the pregnancy, and after the birth.

Dresses and skirts are difficult, it's hard to find them in a flattering fit. That was my experience anyways! Although maxi-dresses can work well in summer.

Maternity tights are soooo comfy, I think I got mine in Dunnes. I was in agony the days they were in the wash and I had to wear regular ones!

Invest in good, comfy shoes. But don't spend too much at the same time ... your shoe size might change!

I never got jeans in New Look, but found them good for maternity tops, especially on the sale rails!

Oh and if you're travelling to stock up anyways, and are anywhere near Heatons, it's a good place to find large baggy button-down nighties for the hospital. Something that I found difficult to find.

Another thing I actually found very difficult to find was cheap flip-flops, you'll need them for the hospital showers, in fairness though I was due in January, which is probably why they were so hard to find, I left it to last minute! I know you've a while left yet, but keep an eye out for them.
Thanks from:
26-12-2015, 17:04   #29
Ciarrai76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Doll View Post
Oh as for what else to wear! The majority of my "maternity clothes" were regular clothes, but in different styles and sizes than what I'd usually wear. I went to my work Christmas party at over 8 months pregnant in a regular wrap-around dress from Wallis, just one size up from what I'd usually wear, and it was perfect for my mum afterwards. Similarly my winter coat was from Next and just one size up but not a style I'd usually wear, again my mum was delighted to get it afterwards! It's worth going around your usual shops, but with a really open mind about what non-maternity stuff might work with the bump.

Jeans/trousers, I did find it necessary to get the maternity versions, however I never tried the bump bands that everyone raves about!

Non-maternity long loose vest tops from Penneys, with a cardi over, are great. Very cheap and will do you to the very end! The cardi will probably be fine in your usual size.

It's worth getting your bra refitted a couple of times throughout the pregnancy, and after the birth.

Dresses and skirts are difficult, it's hard to find them in a flattering fit. That was my experience anyways! Although maxi-dresses can work well in summer.

Maternity tights are soooo comfy, I think I got mine in Dunnes. I was in agony the days they were in the wash and I had to wear regular ones!

Invest in good, comfy shoes. But don't spend too much at the same time ... your shoe size might change!

I never got jeans in New Look, but found them good for maternity tops, especially on the sale rails!

Oh and if you're travelling to stock up anyways, and are anywhere near Heatons, it's a good place to find large baggy button-down nighties for the hospital. Something that I found difficult to find.

Another thing I actually found very difficult to find was cheap flip-flops, you'll need them for the hospital showers, in fairness though I was due in January, which is probably why they were so hard to find, I left it to last minute! I know you've a while left yet, but keep an eye out for them.
thanks for the advice! I am already keeping an eye out for things I might wear. I am very fussy with clothes, so need to get an idea of what's out there (which isn't much in Kerry!). I have been thrawling through ASOS, but hard to know unless you try them on. I wear my tops quite loose anyway as I don't like fitted tops, so I've plenty to keep me going for now. I am wearing most of my regular clothes still, as I'm only 12 weeks and barely showing. Penney's is great for the loose tops & basics.

As for bras, I had actually shrunk in the boob department, I was actually going to get refitted before I got pregnant, as I was sure I needed a cup down, but now I'm fitting into my bras again! I don't know if I'll get much bigger as I'm only a 34B, unless I start spilling out of them I will just wear what I have for now, but obviously I'll need to get nursing bras eventually.
26-12-2015, 17:11   #30

Quote:
As for bras, I had actually shrunk in the boob department, I was actually going to get refitted before I got pregnant, as I was sure I needed a cup down, but now I'm fitting into my bras again! I don't know if I'll get much bigger as I'm only a 34B, unless I start spilling out of them I will just wear what I have for now, but obviously I'll need to get nursing bras eventually.
Actually most breastfeeding mothers I know didn't use nursing bras, found them more of a hindrance than anything! I spent a fortune on two of them in M&S, never used them. But I did give up on breastfeeding a couple of weeks in!

There's a breastfeeding thread in either the Parenting forum or the Newborn & Toddlers forum, ask there for advice! I think most mums go for layered tops, so that they can pull one up and the other down, rather than messing around with nursing bras.

I'd a great top from Debenhams, a Red Herring one, that was perfect for both pregnancy and breastfeeding. Very good quality, it washed perfectly all the way through. I'd be more inclined to invest in tops designed for both pregnancy and breastfeeding, rather than nursing bras.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion