Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-12-2015, 00:44   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardinn View Post
Will spend the day watching my aul fella to see how pissed he gets and throw him dirty looks, he will start an argument at some point that may or may not end up in a huge row which would end up with my ma balling and christmas dinner either not made or had in bedrooms.
That resonates with me. Except on my case it's my mother. Every Christmas she gets obliterated drunk and makes life a misery for us. She bullied the **** out of my dad who was too meek to say anything back. Now he's 6ft under because of her. Christmas will be especially different this year. First Christmas without him cutting the Turkey. She's a witch and I think this will be the Christmas I keep away from her.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-12-2015, 00:54   #32
bubblypop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardinn View Post
i live at home -
I think I would volunteer somewhere else for Christmas day
14-12-2015, 02:50   #33
Wompa1

I try to go home every second X-mas...this year is not one of the going home years, so, I'll just hang out. I've volunteered a couple of times when over in the US. While it's good to do, it's pretty demanding. Starting the day at 4am, feeling wrecked for the rest of the day. X-mas also happens to fall on a Friday this year, which means 3 days off in a row.

Time off in the US is like gold dust. I might take the chance to drive to California and maybe up to Utah for New Years.
(2) thanks from:
14-12-2015, 05:36   #34
Novella

This will be my daughter's first Christmas. I have bought way too many presents for her which was silly because she is only two months old and doesn't have a clue, but I'm so excited. I will make dinner, eat too much and spend the day on the couch watching movies.

I hope to make it back to Ireland at some stage too, maybe on Stephen's Day.
(3) thanks from:
14-12-2015, 05:45   #35
hairyslug

It will be my first Christmas without my parents so it will be a little odd.
Takeaway on Christmas eve and then of to the in-laws
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-12-2015, 05:55   #36
Witchie

Christmas in my parents house. They get home next Wednesday from Florida, my sister arrives from Scotland on the 21st, my aunt and uncle from France the same day. So then its Christmas when they are all home.

Christmas eve we prep the veg, I boil the ham, I go to hairdressers and late afternoon we all head into town for a wander and grab any forgotten bits before repairing to a local restaurant for our dinner. Home to drink mulled wine with cookies and mince pies while watching a Christmas movie (usually Elf these days) and early enough to bed.

Up reasonably early now the kids are adults it's less fun, open presents, I cook a big fry for the meat eaters and quesadilla and eggs for the veggies (my sister is now vegan so not sure what she wants this year) and then chill for an hour or so before starting dinner.

Dinner is at 5ish followed by board games, charades, animal families etc and enjoying each others company. We used to have usually about 20 to 25 of us on Christmas day (biggest was 27 but included 4 month old twins) but my cousins and their kids aren't coming this year. So it's only my immediate family, 2 aunts and 1 uncle making 12 in total.

The tv is never on in the living room but my son and I slink away and watch Doctor Who.

It's my most favourite bestest day of the year and I am shaking with excitement typing this. Eeek!!!

Last edited by Witchie; 14-12-2015 at 06:04.
14-12-2015, 08:53   #37
Shenshen

I'll be working from home on Christmas eve, so after I finish (around 3pm, I hope) I'll be putting up the tree and decorate it. While trying the keep the cats from chewing through the cables for the lights.

I'll have a nice selection of cheeses, crackers and chutneys and pickles, so dinner will be lots of nibbles, followed by lots of home-made christmas biscuits for dessert nibbles. Haven't decided yet if I should buy a bottle of wine, or just craft beers, but leaning towards the beers right now.
I expect my mom will call us at some point from Germany, and I'll have to nag the OH into ringing his own parents, too. Then it's just relaxing in front of the fire arguing about what to watch on telly.

Christmas day will be a long lie-in, followed by brunch and pressies. If the weather is ok, a long walk on a beach somewhere. I'll spend the afternoon making dinner (lentil and nut loaf with cranberries, stuffing, roasties, spiced red cabbage, honey-roasted carrots, fried sprouts with orange, lebkuchen gravy). And then we'll spend most of the evening digesting...
(4) thanks from:
14-12-2015, 08:56   #38
Shenshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchie View Post
...my sister is now vegan so not sure what she wants this year...
Grilled flat mushrooms topped with stuffing and chopped nuts?
14-12-2015, 09:08   #39
Witchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenshen View Post
Grilled flat mushrooms topped with stuffing and chopped nuts?
She hates mushrooms and I have a nut allergy so can't be near them but thanks!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-12-2015, 09:12   #40
Shenshen

Quote:
She hates mushrooms and I have a nut allergy so can't be near them but thanks!
Oops, didn't know that.
But there's loads of websites with vegan recipe ideas. I'd suggest trying http://www.thugkitchen.com/. Bit rude, but fantastic recipes.
(2) thanks from:
14-12-2015, 09:15   #41
Witchie

Thank you that site looks great!
Thanks from:
14-12-2015, 09:17   #42
Shenshen

Quote:
Thank you that site looks great!
If you're still looking for a present for her, they do have 2 books out, too. I've asked my hubby to give me the 2nd one, already have the first.
Thanks from:
14-12-2015, 10:33   #43
eviltwin

Spending it with my husband and kids. Lots of eating, drinking and long walks.
(3) thanks from:
14-12-2015, 10:49   #44
LCD

Is this really an After Hours thread?? Everyone is being really nice & civil. Someone even mentioned an odd Christmas Dinner & no one saw fit to hurl abuse at them. Christmas really does bring out the best in everyone
(3) thanks from:
14-12-2015, 22:22   #45
P_1

Half tempted to go for a day of Netflix and junkfood but certainly it isn't worth the fallout for not showing up.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion