Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-12-2015, 17:42   #46
byhookorbycrook

Yup, we had a Setanta horse too. Magnificent animal. I'm from Cork so am used to Setanta as a child's name, but don't know if I'd name a child it.
Advertisement
07-12-2015, 18:17   #47
afkasurfjunkie

Amanda Brunker has a Setanta. That was enough to put me off.
(2) thanks from:
07-12-2015, 21:38   #48
tinkerbell

No no and no. It's an awful name.
Thanks from:
08-12-2015, 07:01   #49
Novella

I think it's a beautiful name.
(2) thanks from:
08-12-2015, 07:12   #50

I like it. Would you pronounce it with a sh or an s sound - I've heard both?

As for it being "unusual", I've worked in one single office with an Éibhear, an Eimear, a couple of Endas (male and female), a Macdara, a Séadhna…
Advertisement
08-12-2015, 08:18   #51
lazygal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
No no and no. It's an awful name.
Ah come on. There's people reading this who might have the name. I personally don't like Irish names (even though I have one myself) and would never pick one for my children. But its more of a concern that one of the parents doesn't like it than a stranger not liking it.

As an aside, I never heard of the name until someone I know called one of their children Setanta, even though I remember doing the myths and legends stuff in school.
(2) thanks from:
08-12-2015, 09:00   #52
Penny Dreadful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink One View Post
I actually love it and I would associate it with the mythical legend and not the TV station. I used to teach a little boy called Setanta and it suited him so much but there were four brothers in his family and they all had strong Irish names. I do love it and associate it with strength and courage! I did love that little boy so maybe I'm bias too
This is where my thinking was at too. I like the name, don't associate it with the TV channel at all (in fact have never watched it).
08-12-2015, 14:10   #53
Moonbeam

There is of course Setanta Ó hAilpín too. That is the name that springs to my mind.
08-12-2015, 16:53   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
There is of course Setanta Ó hAilpín too. That is the name that springs to my mind.
A man who famously had a mother from Fiji, a father from Fermanagh, neither one a place with a strong hurling tradition.
Advertisement
08-12-2015, 17:00   #55
tinkerbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygal View Post
Ah come on. There's people reading this who might have the name. I personally don't like Irish names (even though I have one myself) and would never pick one for my children. But its more of a concern that one of the parents doesn't like it than a stranger not liking it.

As an aside, I never heard of the name until someone I know called one of their children Setanta, even though I remember doing the myths and legends stuff in school.
OP asked for opinions on the name - I just don't like it. Nobody is going to like every name there is. If there's going to be a name discussion, some will like it while others will not.

And yes I agree that it is more of an issue that one parent dislikes the name.
09-12-2015, 11:20   #56
skallywag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualitymark View Post
A man who famously had a mother from Fiji, a father from Fermanagh, neither one a place with a strong hurling tradition.
At the risk of being ridiculously pedantic I would have to point out that that particular comment was made about his brother Sean Og, although we can probably safely assume that they have the same parents
Thanks from:
09-12-2015, 15:37   #57

I think it's irrelevant what we think of the name, once one of you in the couple don't like the name, then it should be out. I don't think you should choose any name that both of you don't like.

Last edited by IvyTheTerrible; 09-12-2015 at 15:58.
10-12-2015, 05:01   #58
Toots
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyTheTerrible View Post
I think it's irrelevant what we think of the name, once one of you in the couple don't like the name, then it should be out. I don't think you should choose any name that both of you don't like.
Completely agree. When I was pregnant there were a couple of names that I LOVED but my husband didn't like them, so they were instantly off the table. There are millions of names out there, it's not fair for your hubby to be trying to push one that you obviously dislike.
10-12-2015, 05:07   #59
NIMAN

Pretty awful tbh.
02-01-2016, 06:31   #60
mayway
Banned

Is your surname "Sports"? Setanta, I'm afraid, is a terrible name for a person. It's ok for a dog maybe.
Have you considered the following?

TNaG
RTE
BBC
Channel4
E
Dave (this one is unusual, I grant you)
Gold
E+1
Men & Motors
Playboy
etc