Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-10-2015, 10:21   #31
eviltwin

I won a voucher a few years back for a high end store and bought a handbag. I would never have spent my own money but in hindsight it's probably paid for itself. I've had it ten years and never bought another bag and it still looks as good as new. I used to buy two or three bags a year before. I see a good bag as an investment piece, look after it and it will last a lifetime.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
30-10-2015, 18:28   #32
rosie16

This thread just made me realise, I've never bought a handbag. Two from my aunt and one from my brother.
30-10-2015, 20:48   #33
Emme

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaalice View Post
Assuming you are not a millionaire, what is the most you would spend on a hand bag?

I want to buy this bag in M & S, it is 160 euro which I think is a lot of money so I am humming and hawing a bit on the other had I know I would have it for years its a leather satchel backpack bag the sort of bag I love.
The problem with M&S is the sterling:euro exchange rate. Check out the price of the bag in Sterling, put the price into XE.COM and see how the sterling price translates into euro. If it is significantly more I'd advise you to wait for the sales.

I'm all for paying for quality - a bag that will last well through daily use and abuse and won't fall to bits in a few months. I don't agree with buying a bag for the designer label or for the bit of metal hanging out of it letting everyone know where you've bought it.
30-10-2015, 23:03   #34
Nemecis

If it a classic bag and never goes out of style, buy it !
Thanks from:
30-10-2015, 23:30   #35

I have my eye on a lovely bag at the moment that's €80. It's leather, a classic style, good quality for the proce and very much "my bag" (geddit? ;-)) but not sure if I can bring myself to spend that much on it...
Advertisement
31-10-2015, 08:20   #36
Teafor two12345
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
I won a voucher a few years back for a high end store and bought a handbag. I would never have spent my own money but in hindsight it's probably paid for itself. I've had it ten years and never bought another bag and it still looks as good as new. I used to buy two or three bags a year before. I see a good bag as an investment piece, look after it and it will last a lifetime.
I never win nothin :-( I enter all those online things i see!
01-11-2015, 22:27   #37

Paid about E400 for a Guess bag a few years ago, that's probably the highest I'd go.

I'm one of these everything-but-the-kitchen-sink-ers when it comes to handbags so tend to go for storage rather than stylish and dainty. "It's not a real bag if ya can't fit into it"
03-11-2015, 13:26   #38
kylith

Not a handbag, but I did once spend £300 on a suede coat back in my college days. I was worried about the expense at first but by the time it was unwearable I'd had it about 5 years and it was In constant use between October and March.

Quality definitely pays for itself.
03-11-2015, 15:48   #39
pwurple

I guess it's down to how much you use it. If you use something a lot, I think it makes sense to get a quality one. What value you put on that is down to your own disposable income.

For me, I couldn't justify it, because I barely use then. I have a laptop case most of the time for work, and at the weekend if we are out on the beach or in the woods it's a backpack. If I'm out with the kids I stuff everything into the pouches on the buggy. I get very little use from a regular handbag, maybe a few hours a week. For evenings I use a sparkly clutch from pennies or similar.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-11-2015, 17:51   #40
mariaalice

I think I might be getting it for Christmas after I 'accidentally' showed it to my husband.

I cant link it, but it is a Berkley leather backpack if any one wants to have look and I prefer the tan rather than the black although the black is nice as well.

Last edited by mariaalice; 03-11-2015 at 17:59.
Thanks from:
03-11-2015, 18:35   #41
Teafor two12345
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaalice View Post
I think I might be getting it for Christmas after I 'accidentally' showed it to my husband.

I cant link it, but it is a Berkley leather backpack if any one wants to have look and I prefer the tan rather than the black although the black is nice as well.
Awh that's sweet. Enjoy.
08-11-2015, 00:32   #42
Novella

I really like bags so I would spend more on them than on anything else. The most expensive bag that I own now is a Mulberry Bayswater which was about €1,600. I take really good care of it and it just looks better the longer I own it. I would like to buy a Chanel bag and that will probably be my biggest bag purchase.

I know some people will think I'm mad but I save and then treat myself. The resale value is pretty good on certain designers so I keep that in mind and I like the idea of having something special to pass on to my daughter (if she is into bags too, of course). I'm not a big spender on clothes or shoes so I guess it evens out.
08-11-2015, 04:44   #43
Teafor two12345
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novella View Post
I really like bags so I would spend more on them than on anything else. The most expensive bag that I own now is a Mulberry Bayswater which was about €1,600. I take really good care of it and it just looks better the longer I own it. I would like to buy a Chanel bag and that will probably be my biggest bag purchase.

I know some people will think I'm mad but I save and then treat myself. The resale value is pretty good on certain designers so I keep that in mind and I like the idea of having something special to pass on to my daughter (if she is into bags too, of course). I'm not a big spender on clothes or shoes so I guess it evens out.
How dare you have nicer bags than me I hate you! Lucky daughter though!
09-11-2015, 21:12   #44
Deise_vixen

I have to admit that I am a handbag and shoe nut, so I've spent a lot on them over the years. The most I've spent on one bag is €850 on a Chloe Marcie Saddle bag but I've used it nearly every day since so it's more than earned its keep!

I'm not a bag snob though and have plenty from New Look, Penneys, River Island etc., for me its more about the right bag for the outfit rather than the label.

I have a couple of dirt cheap designer copies that I picked up in Asia too and no-one can tell the difference from real thing, so I'm happy to let people think that they're real :-)
09-11-2015, 21:24   #45
Spanish Eyes

Im going to be a bah humbug here but I'm sure it's allowed lol.

Bags are functional or for dressing up.

If functional, they are going to be ruined in the rain, snow, on the train etc. If they are dressy they can be bought very inexpensively and changed to suit the outfit.

I cannot understand the obsession with paying loadsa dough for a bag that NO ONE notices at all (well maybe you do but that's all!).

I'd rather go on a weekend break somewhere nice here, or abroad for the money some want to spend on a flippin BAG, omg.

But each to their own I guess, and we all spend our money the way we want, that gives us pleasure.

Enjoy.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion