Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Church records to go online for free

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Hermy wrote: »
    Just curious Pinky - was it invite only or were all welcome?

Invites - names on a list and all. Probably cos of the Taoiseach's presence.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Figures that the baptism I most need is not readable. Adjusting the image is a lost cause, it might as well be blank.

Love the site though.

I found a page in a Cork register that has subtraction problems written all over, like

It's certainly from looking up birth records to determine someone's age.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mac222

Why is the North Cathedral not there ? , in Cork City there are only 4 Parishes

Mac222 wrote: »
    Why is the North Cathedral not there ? , in Cork City there are only 4 Parishes

Not all the modern parishes are as old as the records. Isn't North Cathedral St. Mary's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Cork, North Cathedral parish is under St. Mary's on the NLI site

edit - added the maps of chapels for Cork city I have and the NLI map for comparison
    354673.jpg
    354674.jpg

in case it helps with alternate parish names or chapel names, you can also try the search here, which can search by the parish name, alternate names including NLI name, chapel names or civil parishes - e.g. searches for North, Brickfields, Clogheen, Mary (along with quite few others..), or Shandon would also include the same parish in the results. The NLI name for the parish, along with film details, is shown on the details screen for each parish.
    354675.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭clashburke

shanew wrote: »
    Cork, North Cathedral parish is under St. Mary's on the NLI site

edit - added the maps of chapels for Cork city I have and the NLI map for comparison
    354673.jpg
    354674.jpg

Is there an app you can use to add the churches/places to another map or is it just time and patience?

Would be handy for me to be able to add towns/villages as im on the boundary of 4/5 parishes for alot of my family and its a pain to search 4 books for one specific date

clashburke wrote: »
    Is there an app you can use to add the churches/places to another map or is it just time and patience?

Would be handy for me to be able to add towns/villages as im on the boundary of 4/5 parishes for alot of my family and its a pain to search 4 books for one specific date

you can drop the search marker anywhere on the map and then search for the nearest chapels, and parishes see Parish and Chapel Map Search e.g. (the yellow marker is the search point selected)
    354692.jpg

The default search distance is 20km, but you can also select 10km for more populated areas etc. There's a link with each parish on the right to show further details.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

The site keeps freezing - I cant get passed where you select your parish
    boooooooooooooo

• Advertisement

John Mason wrote: »
    The site keeps freezing - I cant get passed where you select your parish
    boooooooooooooo

Seems like an issue on your end. I haven't had any problems.

fine for me too... only time I had any issues was last night when the image refresh slowed down for a while, otherwise the system seems to have handled the load perfectly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I restarted the computer and go in, found a marriage I was looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Practical genealogy - I can now confirm that in my male line there has been a pair of twins in every generation going back 200 years. I'm at the younger end of my generation and no twins yet so the statistics suggest to tread carefully if having more sprogs lest I get a value pack! :)

This is an amazing project and beautifully executed. Those involved should be very proud.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The set of records for Denn parish in Cavan is described as being a modern transcript with many large gaps.

Is there a complete set somewhere else or does the NLI microfilm represent all that's left of it?

Genealogy Forum Mod

The set of records for Denn parish in Cavan is described as being a modern transcript with many large gaps.

Is there a complete set somewhere else or does the NLI microfilm represent all that's left of it?

According to Grenham the full set is with CGHC which is the local Irish Federation for the Deliberate Obfuscation of Research branch. Perhaps the originals are in local church custody then?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

So at least there's the possibility of filling in the gaps if needs be.

Genealogy Forum Mod

So at least there's the possibility of filling in the gaps if needs be.

I am a reluctant account holder with said group if you want me to check something on the website just drop me a message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I also came across a message saying a parish's records were still in local parish hands. Can't remember which parish it was now though. Why would a parish hang onto such old records for so long....I hope they are safe.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I also came across a message saying a parish's records were still in local parish hands. Can't remember which parish it was now though. Why would a parish hang onto such old records for so long....I hope they are safe.

AFAIK most RC records are still in the local parishes with the NLI having just the microfilms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

clashburke wrote: »
    AFAIK most RC records are still in the local parishes with the NLI having just the microfilms.

Does anyone know why they only microfilmed up to th 1880's? Does this mean that all records since that date are still with the parishes - with no copies anywhere?

Are there any plans to copy the later records and make them available? Maybe now that the civil indices are available on line this is enough for us? My main concern would be to ensure that the church records are somehow protected and preserved.

This is a great resourse and I have found a few interesting facts -including that my gggrandparents got married one month after the birth of their first child(!) but it would be great to have access to the records after 1880's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

They did the microfilming in the 1950s/60s, so from a data protection point of view, people born in the 1880s would likely have been still alive then, so it was adopted as a cutoff point.

Genealogy Forum Mod

from the NLI docment on Parish Records ..

"...The year 1880 was taken as the cut-off date for the
    microfilming of parish registers. By that date, civil or State
    registration was well under way and post-1880 genealogical
    information should be available from the General Register
    Office...."

I dont have a link to hand but the full filename is : NLI_FamilyHistory_ParishRegisters.pdf

I'd say that and the privacy considerations were both considered when deciding a date to cut off at

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Is it possible to download more than one image at a time?

the download option seems to be of the current page - if you are borderline between two pages it picks one. I didn't see any option to bulk downland images

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Catsmeow

I'm so delighted with the way this site is laid out, particularly the map showing neighbouring parishes. What a great resource. I envisage spending quite a lot of time on it over the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 theloniusplonk

I have logged on to the Parish Registers for the first time today. And what a disappointment! Most entries were illegible and some may as well have been totally blank. It seems to have been a total waste of money to me - unless someone knows some trick that I don't. Maybe they are written in secret ink.

Its seems great to me. I've found numerous ancestors, even a great great great grandparents marriage.

Yes its tough to read and tedious work in a big parish, but I've found I can read almost everything given enough time fiddling with the brightness/contrast and inverse image buttons.

Money well spent; better to have it online than to rely on roots Ireland transcripts!!(which I have found several mistakes with since the register where put up)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

@theloniusplonk
    I get your frustration , but the legibility of the records (or lack their of) is part & parcel of geneaology I think , some times you strike gold sometimes not.
    I've been blessed so far that the records I was searching for were very legible and also had Birth Dates but there are records which I know won't be legible or just not available.

If you've ever sat and tried to scroll through the Registers @ the NLI then trust me this resource is a Godsend.These registers are going to open up both a revived interest in geneaology but also Tourism and that's fact.
    Money very well spent if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 theloniusplonk

Thank you for replying So promptly. I have taken heart from both of your very positive responses and will endeavour to have more patience and struggle on.
    I have since copied pages and endeavoured to enhance them in Photoshop and also fed them into a large TV screen. Both have helped but only a very little. I suppose we have become spoilt by the ease of using search engines.

Advertisement