Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Router F1000 parental control profile (PCP) slowing down browsing / download.

Options
  • 04-06-2015 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,

I have noticed that internet browsing (i.e. some pages takes up to  a minute to load) & downloads would slow down to time to time and it is down to the Parental Control Profile (PCP) that I have setup to block some website / words.
    Once I disable the PCP and then re-enable it again it will work perfectly for a while until is clogs up browsing in several hours or it might not happen for the rest of the day.

Checked router firmware and it is reported as "1.00(AAHA.4)D0_20150310".

Is there a workaround or any firmware update that would address this problem?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭andy73

Dear Eircom,

WIFI settings seems that were gone as well so I have uploaded a configuration backup that I have created a month ago and now it does not work to login to the modem, I have tried Admin with the password I had for ages (so it would have been at the time of config backup) and also the one on the back of the modem.

I do not really want to reset it, I have some settings in there that I do not want to loose.

Any idea?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

andy73 wrote: »
    Dear Eircom,

WIFI settings seems that were gone as well so I have uploaded a configuration backup that I have created a month ago and now it does not work to login to the modem, I have tried Admin with the password I had for ages (so it would have been at the time of config backup) and also the one on the back of the modem.

I do not really want to reset it, I have some settings in there that I do not want to loose.

Any idea?

Thanks.
    Hi andy73

I'm sorry I didn't pick up on your previous post. The best advice I can offer you is to contact eircoms technical support team via instant WebChat at www.eircom.ie/chatnow or on free phone 1901

Thanks
    Al

Dear Eircom,

Any idea?

Thanks.
    Hi andy73

I'm sorry I didn't pick up on your previous post. The best advice I can offer you is to contact eircoms technical support team via instant WebChat at www.eircom.ie/chatnow or on free phone 1901

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Al, I have contacted the support as suggested. Based on the discussions with Paul my conclusion is that the latest firmware updates have now some incompatibilities with configuration that was exported with previous firmware...
    I will reset the modem and re-do my settings. Maybe this was the problem with the PCP profile as well...

Dear Eircom,

Any idea?

Thanks.
    Hi andy73

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Al, I have contacted the support as suggested. Based on the discussions with Paul my conclusion is that the latest firmware updates have now some incompatibilities with configuration that was exported with previous firmware...
    I will reset the modem and re-do my settings. Maybe this was the problem with the PCP profile as well...
    Cheers andy73

Hope it doesn't take too long to reconfigure your own settings - I'm sorry I can't offer an alternative

Al

thanks, I have re-done my settings, looking in the backup.

• Advertisement

thanks, I have re-done my settings, looking in the backup.
    Thanks for thread update Andy

Al

Hi Al,

Slowdown occurs again after factory reset and re-adding the PCP profile. Basically the PCP profile had some restriction on hours and filtering maybe 6 words / websites. Once the PCP is disabled / enabled the internet goes ok for a while.
    Can you pass this info please maybe is addressed in a future firmware.

Thanks!

Hi Al,

Slowdown occurs again after factory reset and re-adding the PCP profile. Basically the PCP profile had some restriction on hours and filtering maybe 6 words / websites. Once the PCP is disabled / enabled the internet goes ok for a while.
    Can you pass this info please maybe is addressed in a future firmware.

Thanks!
    That's very valuable information Andy - thanks very much.

I'll certainly pass this on to operations.

Cheers
    Al

Hi Alan,

I have moved house and now I have a new F2000 modem. Unfortunately the Parental control / URL filter does not work at all.

Can you please review and let me know.

Many thanks!

Hi Alan,

I have moved house and now I have a new F2000 modem. Unfortunately the Parental control / URL filter does not work at all.

Can you please review and let me know.

Many thanks!
    Hi andy73

The best advice i can offer is to get in touch with technical support, it sounds like the firmware may be out of date although I could be wrong. You can reach support on free phone 1901 or via WebChat at www.eircom.net/chatnow

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

Hi Al,

I am on the last firmware but maybe the feature just does not work. Paul on Webchat advised that he will pass the feedback to the vendor for the next firmware release.

Can you advise please when next firmware upgrade will take place and when the url filter is fixes?

Many thanks.

Hi Al,

the URL filter not working in the new firmware is a serious issue with Parental Control.

Can you please advise when this will be fixed?
    Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do DNS filtering with OpenDNS, its far more effective than keyword filtering and has no load on the router.

Time of day rules should work fine without slowing the device.

yes, OpenDNS is an option but url filtering suppose to work out of the box. Al, any new firmware update coming soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭eir: Tony

yes, OpenDNS is an option but url filtering suppose to work out of the box. Al, any new firmware update coming soon?
    Hi andy73
    I have asked for any information around this and will be back to you soon. It may take 24 hours or so for response.
    Tony

Advertisement