Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Elephone p7000 $159 on preorder

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

MrStuffins wrote: »
    If I decided to take a punt on this phone, which of the stores would be the most trusted to get it shipped from?

A thread from Android forum. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056851139

All about Chinese phones. Sure someone there can point you in the right direction..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Not exactly true, Oneplus is a sister company of Oppo who'd been making decent phones. We know zero about this one, what they've made before or how much support it will get. A smartphone is only as good as the ongoing support it's given.

I bought 2x ZTEs for the kids before, terrible decision, no support, no updates and they didn't work for very long

Funnily, the one thing I knew about oppo before the 1+ was announced was that they absolutely did not support their products, they release and then drop it like a hot potato as soon as a replacement is released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Funnily, the one thing I knew about oppo before the 1+ was announced was that they absolutely did not support their products, they release and then drop it like a hot potato as soon as a replacement is released.

Which is why Cyanogen and a vibrant community is a major selling point for the OnePlus over any other Chinese brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel

stanley1 wrote: »
    will customs come into play here.

The phone costs less than €150 shipped which means no import duty is owed on it :)

VAT is payable though @23% plus there might be an admin charge (I was charged €6 iirc the one and only time I got stung importing a tablet from china)

So worst case scenario this phone costs €187 landed. Less than half of what the oneplus one costs landed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Which is why Cyanogen and a vibrant community is a major selling point for the OnePlus over any other Chinese brand.

Great news!

http://www.gizchina.com/2015/04/21/elephone-port-cyanogenmod-12-1-to-mediatek-phone/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I doubt thus will work with Irish LTE bands or am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,168 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

edit: Nevermind, someone else replied to the thread spoiler already..

I hate when people in this forum jump in and claim something is a scam/con without knowing that they are talking about. He probably turned a good few off this great deal with his stupid posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Mezcita wrote: »

Yes, great news. Your not helping the argument that this is a good phone to buy right now. Yes it may be a great phone in future, if after it's been reviewed it is seen as being solid build quality, flawless and working well. Yes there is the possibility of Cyanogen working properly on it some time in the future. I didn't buy a OnePlus for months for the very same reason I argue it would be foolish to rush out and buy a zero day one of these, there were lots of problems with the OnePlus for the first few months as they ironed out the kinks in their production and fixed the bugs in the software.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Their promo video suggests that there will be a choice of 2 android variants,... ;-)

(Not going to post link because it comes from one of their retailers, someone might accuse me of affiliation...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I think that people may be assuming that they will actually get one at that price once they reserve one, but according to the website, you 'qualify for the rush to purchase'.

From the website: MAY11: First round of Pioneer purchase
    "Customers who made reservations qualify for the rush to purchase Pioneer event on May 11th."

I don't think everyone will get one at that price.

• Advertisement

Agree, there are already over 46,000 signups. Chances of being successful I this limited release are getting very slim. These sites are just going to crash I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Yes, great news. Your not helping the argument that this is a good phone to buy right now. Yes it may be a great phone in future, if after it's been reviewed it is seen as being solid build quality, flawless and working well. Yes there is the possibility of Cyanogen working properly on it some time in the future. I didn't buy a OnePlus for months for the very same reason I argue it would be foolish to rush out and buy a zero day one of these, there were lots of problems with the OnePlus for the first few months as they ironed out the kinks in their production and fixed the bugs in the software.

Jesus though, you could apply the same logic to literally any phone which is about to be released. Apple's next IPhone could be a piece of tat, liable to explode after a day's use. But based on their previous phones I'd make a guess that it will be ok.

You've never heard of the company so therefore assume that the phone is rubbish. That the operating system will be pants even though it's running stock Android initially. The OnePlus was their first phone but you seem happy to ignore the fact that these guys have been making phones for a while now.

Equally your buying behaviour is to wait and see what the reviews are like and to see if there any problems with the phone. Nothing wrong with that in my book. What is wrong though is the assumption that the phone will be useless just because you've never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Tinie wrote: »
    I doubt thus will work with Irish LTE bands or am I wrong?

You are wrong. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

T-Bird wrote: »
    Agree, there are already over 460,000 signups. Chances of being successful I this limited release are getting very slim. These sites are just going to crash I think.

It says 48,151 when I load it up.

How many could they afford to sell at this price? Do you only get charged when shipped?

PS: they've another phone supposedly shipping in May with a version B possibly with a dual OS of Android and Windows 10. Specs are a little better than this one but the front of the phone is not as nice looking as this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The presale will only have a certain amount available. AFAIK you buy at the $229 and if you're lucky you get the presale price, if not you pay the higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

anyone know what happens if you route one of these via ParcelMotel? Will they pay customs and then bill you or just send it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

Muahahaha wrote: »
    anyone know what happens if you route one of these via ParcelMotel? Will they pay customs and then bill you or just send it back?

Well that's a game of Russian Roulette as they say that will refuse anything that there is duty owed. I specifically e-mailed them and they told me that they'd refuse to sign for it and let me know about the duty and i could sort it out with royal mail and then they would accept it second time once duty is paid.

It is very risky but i played the game twice and they both got through without duty so i was delighted. Not that it matters but i ordered from gearb***.

Keith186 wrote: »
    It says 48,151 when I load it up.

How many could they afford to sell at this price? Do you only get charged when shipped?

PS: they've another phone supposedly shipping in May with a version B possibly with a dual OS of Android and Windows 10. Specs are a little better than this one but the front of the phone is not as nice looking as this one.

D'oh yeah it's 50,000 now. I'm dyslexic but that shouldn't be an excuse..

The dual OS is the one to get. Android for everyday and Windows for the stuff it's good at. It's meant to be have 4gb ram as well.

T-Bird wrote: »
    D'oh yeah it's 50,000 now. I'm dyslexic but that shouldn't be an excuse..

The dual OS is the one to get. Android for everyday and Windows for the stuff it's good at. It's meant to be have 4gb ram as well.

Think I will pass on this phone but see if it lives up to expectations, and I'd it does, then get the dual OS one.
    Seen a comment on a site about them making up specs about previous phones then being caught lying after release.

Dual OS isn't definitely confirmed for that, still mention of it being one or the other OS but not both.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Well that's a game of Russian Roulette as they say that will refuse anything that there is duty owed. I specifically e-mailed them and they told me that they'd refuse to sign for it and let me know about the duty and i could sort it out with royal mail and then they would accept it second time once duty is paid.

It is very risky but i played the game twice and they both got through without duty so i was delighted. Not that it matters but i ordered from gearb***.

thanks for that. When you spoke to them did they say the item would be sent back to China or only back to Royal Mail? If it gets stuck with Royal Mail is there a way to pay Royal Mail the duty online?

• Advertisement

Think I will pass on this phone but see if it lives up to expectations, and I'd it does, then get the dual OS one.
    Seen a comment on a site about them making up specs about previous phones then being caught lying after release.

Dual OS isn't definitely confirmed for that, still mention of it being one or the other OS but not both.

Yup, they "might" be able to make the phone well. But their marketing etc is a bit "new - armature".

THIS is about their as yet unnamed dual OS phone. Surely that should be their flagship model (if it comes out this year that is)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

GBX wrote: »
    The presale will only have a certain amount available. AFAIK you buy at the $229 and if you're lucky you get the presale price, if not you pay the higher price.

Where did you see that ? I'll buy this at 159 but not 229 on the hope I'll only get billed 159...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭GBX

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Where did you see that ? I'll buy this at 159 but not 229 on the hope I'll only get billed 159...

From the p7000 site and http://www.gizchina.com/2015/04/24/elephone-p7000-159-99-flash-sale-reservation-starts-tomorrow/

Could be wrong but I doubt they would sell loads at $159 straight off the bat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

GBX wrote: »
    From the p7000 site and http://www.gizchina.com/2015/04/24/elephone-p7000-159-99-flash-sale-reservation-starts-tomorrow/

Could be wrong but I doubt they would sell loads at $159 straight off the bat.
    It seems to me that selling below cost could be a way of establishing yourself in the smartphone market without the budget of Apple / Samsung / LG etc. for marketing. Wait until we see the cost of the One Plus Two...

I'm still trying to decide whether to take the risk of ordering at the hope of getting it for 146 EUR or so (cheaper price without customs) or 250 EUR (if you get the higher cost and get hit with customs). For 146 it should be a bargain, for 250 not so much.

I gave my email and chose pandawill earlier. Didn't have to order or pay etc.

Just got this in an email. Looks like you then get into the pot to be in the flash sale where I think it will be first come first serve, not entirely sure though.

"Dear customer:
    You have successfully reserved for the “P7000 $159.99 flash sale event” on Elephone official website, the event starts at 17:00(UTC+08:00) on May11, 2015. Then you can participate in the limited flash sale with your email ???????@gmail.com. Thanks for your support."

I gave my email and chose pandawill earlier. Didn't have to order or pay etc.

Just got this in an email. Looks like you then get into the pot to be in the flash sale where I think it will be first come first serve, not entirely sure though.

"Dear customer:
    You have successfully reserved for the “P7000 $159.99 flash sale event” on Elephone official website, the event starts at 17:00(UTC+08:00) on May11, 2015. Then you can participate in the limited flash sale with your email ???????@gmail.com. Thanks for your support."

Do you have to pay to reserve?

Do you have to pay to reserve?

No didn't have to pay. Accidently closed the browser window so not sure what was loading! Got the email anyway. Tried it again with a made up email for pandawill when it loaded their page it says sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

No didn't have to pay. Accidently closed the browser window so not sure what was loading! Got the email anyway. Tried it again with a made up email for pandawill when it loaded their page it says sold out.

From what I can tell, in order to get the 159 price upfront, you need to have en "elecode" emailed to you...I didn't get one , did you ?

• Advertisement

cojomo2 wrote: »
    From what I can tell, in order to get the 159 price upfront, you need to have en "elecode" emailed to you...I didn't get one , did you ?
    No code in email. Just says you can participate with your email address.

Advertisement