Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

SPRING WEATHER 2015 - GENERAL DISCUSSION

• 04-03-2015 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Dickie10

well with the final grip of winter 14/15 being shrugged off today with tempretures to start rising to 14 celcius saturday, what do we think of how spring willl pan out? hopefully plenty of growth, mild with a small bit of rain in april would be great. please god thats the last of the frosty nights. id say when we get to paddys day were in the clear as clocks go forward 12 days later

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Saturday looks to be up to 15c. Thats warm for early march.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I hope it's not unseasonably warm, it never seems to lead to a good summer when that happens. :) I'd rather the warmth happened in the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I hope it's not unseasonably warm, it never seems to lead to a good summer when that happens. :) I'd rather the warmth happened in the summer months.

It also seems that springs with a cold snap in them give better summers, whereas the warm ones give washout summers.
    Think of all those warm springs in the late 00's and terrible summers.

Though I don't remember a cold snap last spring and we still had a decent summer.

Though I don't remember a cold snap last spring and we still had a decent summer.

We had some terrible terrible storms though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Carnacalla wrote: »
    We had some terrible terrible storms though.

True, and those storms probably had a bit of polar maritime air in them which might count as cold air!

The scottish mountains had their snowiest winter for years last year so the maritime air mass we had last year was cool but just not as cold as this years maritime air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just bring on the warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Have to say it was really nice going for a walk under a clear blue sky today. Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭typhoony

after the last 2 years we are due a good one. the jet stream profile is weak for the next couple of weeks. if the atlantic dies completely then a window opens for cold air to flood south, I would'nt be suprised if winter came back for a short few days with a NE influence later in the month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I'm well fed up with the cold weather at this stage, have had to scrape the windscreen in the morning probably 3-4 times nearly every week this winter. Bring on some warmth, long evenings and great skycapes with convection and thunderstorms. Models at the moment are showing a south westerly dominated first half to the month so mild but damp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Today was the first day that the car was "hot" when I got into it at lunchtime. Snow after the end of February should be banned as it's nothing more than sloppy mess. Roll on some nice warmth like we got in March 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

FWVT wrote: »
    Today was the first day that the car was "hot" when I got into it at lunchtime. Snow after the end of February should be banned as it's nothing more than sloppy mess. Roll on some nice warmth like we got in March 2012.
    Got sunburnt doing the first hedge cut that March.

Pity the rest of the year had terrible weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭kingshankly

FWVT wrote: »

I recall a Paddys day parade about 15 years ago where it was roasting or am I imagining that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Driving. South bound today sun beating in the window had to put on the air conditioning

I recall a Paddys day parade about 15 years ago where it was roasting or am I imagining that

Yep, there was one in the early 2000's IIRC. Family shop near our Parade route and I remember a high proportion of the crowd in t-shirts and even shorts in a few cases, selling lots of ice cream and people asking if we sold sun cream etc

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Calibos wrote: »
    Yep, there was one in the early 2000's IIRC. Family shop near our Parade route and I remember a high proportion of the crowd in t-shirts and even shorts in a few cases, selling lots of ice cream and people asking if we sold sun cream etc

It was 1999. I remember it because a load of us from work went on a pub crawl around Dublin and it was very warm for that time of year.

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-1999-Mar.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 20,322 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

There was definitely one circa 2003 as well, as myself, the sister and a few friends went on the beer and we were drinking outside in a bar garden overlooking the Shannon getting nice tans for ourselves!

-edit to add -

What a good memory I have! :)

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2003-Mar.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Tazio

Rikand wrote: »
    There was definitely one circa 2003 as well, as myself, the sister and a few friends went on the beer and we were drinking outside in a bar garden overlooking the Shannon getting nice tans for ourselves!

-edit to add -

What a good memory I have! :)

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2003-Mar.pdf

....and 2003 went on to be a very hot / warm long summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

LFCFan wrote: »
    It was 1999. I remember it because a load of us from work went on a pub crawl around Dublin and it was very warm for that time of year.

http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-1999-Mar.pdf

Lived in Dublin at the time and drank tinnies in the sun in Stephens Green all afternoon (cringe) before watching Man United v Inter Milan that night feeling very sun burnt! Classy times.

Does anyone remember April 2007? RIDICULOUS month - basically a whole month of summer temps and conditions. Followed by one of the worse summers I can remember.

• Advertisement

Lived in Dublin at the time and drank tinnies in the sun in Stephens Green all afternoon (cringe) before watching Man United v Inter Milan that night feeling very sun burnt! Classy times.

:pac: Love it, esp the 'tinnies' part.

Does anyone remember April 2007? RIDICULOUS month - basically a whole month of summer temps and conditions. Followed by one of the worse summers I can remember.

Remember it well as we dug up part of our garden to lay a gravel parking spot, Picked April to do it as a not too hot not too cold kind of month. Ended up filling a skip with soil and moving a couple of tonnes of hardcore and gravel etc in temps in the high 70's and 80's fahrenheit and getting burnt to a crisp in the process. Even at the time though, we knew we'd pay for it that Summer :D

Tazio wrote: »
    ....and 2003 went on to be a very hot / warm long summer.

It was an utterly crap summer in Ireland. Mid to high 20s temperatures with almost constant cloud cover. A humid, sticky, dreary nightmare. Nothing worse than hot cloudiness. Meanwhile across the pond and on mainland Europe, they got their high temperatures with a side of sunshine.

And it was only August that had the high temperatures. If it had been sunny, that would have been great. But no, it pulled off the impressive trick of still remaining overcast to hazy at the very best whilst being scorchio.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,322 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

It was an utterly crap summer in Ireland. Mid to high 20s temperatures with almost constant cloud cover. A humid, sticky, dreary nightmare. Nothing worse than hot cloudiness. Meanwhile across the pond and on mainland Europe, they got their high temperatures with a side of sunshine.

And it was only August that had the high temperatures. If it had been sunny, that would have been great. But no, it pulled off the impressive trick of still remaining overcast to hazy at the very best whilst being scorchio.

As long as its dry. You can do things when its warm and dry....

Rikand wrote: »
    As long as its dry. You can do things when its warm and dry....

I personally found it oppressive. Hated it. Made me want to lie around all day and little else. I have no energy when it's humid.

Dry is definitely good, but if it's going to be cloudy, I'd rather it was cool and not humid to go with it.

I remember getting a terribly sticky heatwave early in the year a few years ago. I think it was may/june and temps reached 27c. It was unbelievable humid. I remember walking out in a t-shirt to get it stuck to me by the time I crossed the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

A deep Easterly is on the way it seems delaying spring
    I said a few weeks ago I thought this would happen and sure enough
    It will be a cold feed,eventually cold enough for snow showers along the East coast
    An absolute nuisance at this time of the year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A deep Easterly is on the way it seems delaying spring
    I said a few weeks ago I thought this would happen and sure enough
    It will be a cold feed,eventually cold enough for snow showers along the East coast
    An absolute nuisance at this time of the year

if this is gonna happen that will be really annoying, It would need to be one hell of an easterly to deliver snow on the east coast at this time of the year. Easterly's at this time of the year ususally result in rain/sleet showers within 5km-10km of the coastline and snow further inland with lying snow confined mainly to high ground. An easterly in mid March is like having a spanish plume late october.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Gonzo wrote: »
    if this is gonna happen that will be really annoying, It would need to be one hell of an easterly to deliver snow on the east coast at this time of the year. Easterly's at this time of the year ususally result in rain/sleet showers within 5km-10km of the coastline and snow further inland with lying snow confined mainly to high ground. An easterly in mid March is like having a spanish plume late october.

https://twitter.com/matthugo81/status/573930695803994112

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Glorious Spring day in London today, 16C with cloudless skies and the first real warm day of the year, long may it continue :cool:

Advertisement