Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Killarney Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Masala wrote: »
    ... ya... explain it to me like I'm a 6 year old??? the question again is 'Why is it not suitable'??? Never mind a simple reply '...cos its not'. I guess it's not clear enough for me.....

You are insulting smart six year olds if you are incapable of understanding why a music festival isn't suitable for a national park.

The clue is in the name: National Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    You are insulting smart six year olds if you are incapable of understanding why a music festival isn't suitable for a national park.

The clue is in the name: National Park.

....another useless answer.

Its in a field....not spread across 33,000 acres or so. Rolling Stones could put on a Free concert in Hyde Park. The Pope came to Phoenix Park and brought 1m people with him. So... majors events in National Parks have occurred.

Are you a troll in disguise???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

I was just about to ask you the same thing!

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Some feedback the festival have received on their pay-to-play scheme

Seriously disingenuous statement by the organisers here from what I can see

https://www.facebook.com/WestportFestivalOfMusicAndPerformingArts/posts/850301158363050

This post has now been taken down due to the backlash they received. I wonder will they now bring back the stage but remove the '50 tickets or no play' requirement.

....another useless answer.

Its in a field....not spread across 33,000 acres or so. Rolling Stones could put on a Free concert in Hyde Park. The Pope came to Phoenix Park and brought 1m people with him. So... majors events in National Parks have occurred.

Neither the Phoenix Park nor Hyde Park (in London btw) are Irish National Parks.

Neither of them have the varied ecological life that Killarney National Park has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

How can you compare the popes visit to the Phoneix Park to facilitate 1m people, to a commercial event as a music and food festival in an area that is unspoilt by human intervention..
    To you it maybe just a field, to me it represent beauty and all that the name of Killarney holds true.
    I hope the dept of Heritage listen to the voices of the people and their research into this, and not the just those involved in the world of profit..

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

This post has now been taken down due to the backlash they received. I wonder will they now bring back the stage but remove the '50 tickets or no play' requirement.

I think they should to counteract the negative publicity this has received.. I think Mundy, Damien Dempsey and other now well established Irish artist should speak on this..and support these up and coming acts..
    I think the promoters did not reckon on the backlash and publicity this would bring..

Neither the Phoenix Park nor Hyde Park (in London btw) are Irish National Parks.

Neither of them have the varied ecological life that Killarney National Park has.

Well I will have to bow to your superier knowledge here... Phoenix park is not an Irish National Park?????

Well I will have to bow to your superier knowledge here... Phoenix park is not an Irish National Park?????

Just give up.

http://www.npws.ie/nationalparks/

dobman88 wrote: »

I stand corrected.. And my apologies to Axel for earlier posts

I guess I am never too old to learn!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thankful so many are as appalled as we are re the proposed festival. How good would security be for the rest of the park from that field? Did anyone really think mountain bike trails should be there?.. I read somewhere that there was to be a meeting re the impact on wild life; any chance that will stop it? Hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thankful so many are as appalled as we are re the proposed festival. How good would security be for the rest of the park from that field? Did anyone really think mountain bike trails should be there?.. I read somewhere that there was to be a meeting re the impact on wild life; any chance that will stop it? Hope so.

Mountainbike trails would have a lot less impact than tens of thousands of people walking around at a festival. They are also permanent rather than a one-off festival meaning they will be bringing extra business to the town for years. The park is riddled with mtb trails anyway if you know where to look. Why not make some money out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Had a bit of a look to see who was behind this festival and it seems the main man is a promoter called Darryl Downey at Rag Lane Entertainment.

I put his name into Google and the very first search result is for his name was a Stubbs Gazette article about people not paying for using
    One high-profile target is promoter Darryl Downey of Rag Lane Entertainment, who was slapped with a €144,000 judgment in July for failing to pay fees for concerts he organised.

Really sounds like someone who is concerned with musicians and performers as opposed to just using them to make as much cash as possible for himself.

http://www.stubbsgazette.ie/news/rights-body-cracks-down-on-unlicensed-music

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Mountainbike trails would have a lot less impact than tens of thousands of people walking around at a festival. They are also permanent rather than a one-off festival meaning they will be bringing extra business to the town for years. The park is riddled with mtb trails anyway if you know where to look. Why not make some money out of it?

Read the link re National Parks please ...wincing at your post...a basic total lack of understanding.. will send your post on to friends in the NP staff also...dangerous. Not about making money.. about wild life

[/B]
    Read the link re National Parks please ...wincing at your post...a basic total lack of understanding.. will send your post on to friends in the NP staff also...dangerous. Not about making money.. about wild life

For starters, I can't really follow your stream of consciousness style. It's clear you don't know much about mountainbiking - if people can walk on the trails there, there's no reason they can't cycle on them, the impact is negligible. They do anyway and the national park are well aware of it. The only section that is prohibited is on the old Kenmare road so knock yourself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭cottager83

Hi Folks, looking to hire a vintage car for a wedding in Killarney, can anybody recommend a company that does them?
    Cheers!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

cottager83 wrote: »
    Hi Folks, looking to hire a vintage car for a wedding in Killarney, can anybody recommend a company that does them?
    Cheers!!

moved to the Killarney thread.
    Anyone able to recommend anything??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭siblers

[/B]

Sending his post on to the staff of the national park? I'm pretty sure they have more important stuff to be dealing with :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

we are staying overnight in Killarney in 2 weeks and looking for a restaurant recommendation. its a group of 20 so we would need to book in advance and we want something healthy, preferably pasta/chicken as its a football team and we want to get something decent in the players for match next day.

team avg age is 14 so would need to be somewhere to accomodate us, well behaved bunch of lads

any suggestions would appreciate

thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    we are staying overnight in Killarney in 2 weeks and looking for a restaurant recommendation. its a group of 20 so we would need to book in advance and we want something healthy, preferably pasta/chicken as its a football team and we want to get something decent in the players for match next day.

team avg age is 14 so would need to be somewhere to accomodate us, well behaved bunch of lads

thanks

moved to Killarney thread, you will get plenty of recommendations there!

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote: »

thanks

Salvadors, Robertinos The Med (expensive). They're Italian and are both very good for Pasta/chicken. Could also maybe check Hannigans Bar, part of the International Hotel.

Good luck with the game.

Salvadors, Robertinos The Med (expensive). They're Italian and are both very good for Pasta/chicken. Could also maybe check Hannigans Bar, part of the International Hotel.

Good luck with the game.

Should add The Malton to that list too. They have a couple of private rooms suitable for your party and the Kerry team have their meals there after training so they are used to cooking for sports diets.

siblers wrote: »
    Sending his post on to the staff of the national park? I'm pretty sure they have more important stuff to be dealing with :confused:

Actually they welcome input and some are personal friends. This is very important especially at this time of year. People need to respect our National Park and what it means; not a sporting venue or a money maker.

Actually they welcome input and some are personal friends. This is very important especially at this time of year. People need to respect our National Park and what it means; not a sporting venue or a money maker.

I would share your concerns about hosting a festival in the park. I'm not a fan of that idea myself to be honest. However, I fail to see how mountainbiking trails in the park disrespects it. It wouldn't be for races or anything like that, it would be looped trails similar to Ballyhoura where people could go for an offroad spin around the park for the day.

Let me ask you this, do you have the same issues with the pony trekking guys using the trails above torc where the right of way through Bill Cullen's residence is?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MidlandBlowin

Hey guys,

Hope it's ok to post this here. Has anyone here experience of renting in Killarney? Moving to Killarney in a few weeks but there doesn't seem to be much at all on Daft etc the last few weeks. Is there any decent letting agent in Killarney to deal with etc?

Cheers folks :)

Hey guys,

Hope it's ok to post this here. Has anyone here experience of renting in Killarney? Moving to Killarney in a few weeks but there doesn't seem to be much at all on Daft etc the last few weeks. Is there any decent letting agent in Killarney to deal with etc?

Letting agents in town are a pack of <snip> in my experience although I've only ever dealt with 4 of them but passed on their properties each time instead going private through daft. I've just had a quick look on daft there and there's a few places just outside the town within walking distance like Aghadoe snd Loreto Road and further out then is Firies and Beaufort if you have transport.

Hey guys,

Letting agents in town are a pack of <snip> in my experience although I've only ever dealt with 4 of them but passed on their properties each time instead going private through daft. I've just had a quick look on daft there and there's a few places just outside the town within walking distance like Aghadoe snd Loreto Road and further out then is Firies and Beaufort if you have transport.

They're not all gob****es, stop generalising and tarring them all because of your bad experience(s).

Op, use golden pages and google as a lot of them have their own websites as they don't want to pay the Daft fees.

Sean Leo O'Sullivan, Its4rent and Healy are 3 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Hi, we are thinking of heading to killarney for a nosey around with the kids at the wkend, one place id like to take them to is torc waterfall but cant seem to find exactly where it is, we will be coming from west cork, oh and if there are any other nice spots to take the kids please feel free to let me know thanks

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Hi, we are thinking of heading to killarney for a nosey around with the kids at the wkend, one place id like to take them to is torc waterfall but cant seem to find exactly where it is, we will be coming from west cork, oh and if there are any other nice spots to take the kids please feel free to let me know thanks

Head out the Muckross Road down past the Gleneagle Hotel and it's sign posted from there. Only a 10min drive from town.

There's a playground in town across from the Cathedral that always looks busy whenever I'm walking the dog. Few swings, slides and things to climb on and a zip wirr type thing that looks fun. Kennedys Farm is on the Cork road aand is always popular with families.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

shamrock55 wrote: »

Take them up to Fitzgerald stadium to see Sam Maguire!

Advertisement