Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

joe199 wrote: »
    Heading to Manchester friday morning lads till Sunday eve how's the likelyhood of seeing some of the white stuff?
    Pangea wrote: »
    Just looked out side, not the wintry scenes I was hoping for, no showers or even hail. I wonder what barnesmore gap is like at the moment.

The gap isn't that bad by all accounts. There's a good bit of the white stuff mixed with hail on the ground but I'd say we'll see even more come the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

NMB wrote: »
    Ah Stewie - thems the breaks.... there's always next week xx

But I'm waiting, I've been waiting all day. My gloves and hat are all wet now, and it's very dark, but I'm staying in this garden until the snow comes.

And then I'm going to make a snowman!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

First nice shower in a while in Tullamore now, the rainfall radar is not showing anything major heading this way though.. But I live in hope

Came to nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Couple of cms lying here near Shercock Co.Cavan but it's stopped snowing now.... Probably enough to frighten off the school bus driver in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Bit of a let down so far wud be surprised to see anything change overnight. Still ya never know still a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looking at the Met Eireann 5day forecast, I would watch Monday.

Temperture hit 4.1c a minute ago! Falling again but no hope of snow at that temp, especially with the light showers we are getting.

Where can i find my DP online?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

so wasting my time staying up lamp post watching? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Looking at the Met Eireann 5day forecast, I would watch Monday.

Temperture hit 4.1c a minute ago! Falling again but no hope of snow at that temp, especially with the light showers we are getting.

Where can i find my DP online?

If your weather station gives a humidity reading use this calculator to find DP.

http://www.decatur.de/javascript/dew/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

sky news being the attention seeking whores as usual, trying to big up a wee snow shower in Lurgan. Its not exactly stomageddon

edit-might have been BBC , seemed like the usual ott Sky approach

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Rougies wrote: »
    If your weather station gives a humidity reading use this calculator to find DP.

http://www.decatur.de/javascript/dew/

Brilliant! I will keep this in my bookmarks! Very handy:P

• Advertisement

Temperture in west clare atm 3.4c with a Dp of -2.2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Snowing heavily in Monaghan now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

A few showers this evening and probably a few more overnight. I wish I took tomorrow off!

002.jpg

Radar map looks very interesting for Glasgow for the next few hours. A lot of precipitation heading in this way from the north-west. About 2 to 3 inches on the ground around the house here at the moment but there could be a decent accumulation here, and across the city, by morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

Finally got it uploaded nothing to see up there at 08.20pm approx. just a skim at the viewing point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

If I'm getting snow, you can be sure that the "showery precip" in Ballyhaise in Cavan is falling as snow. Who knows if it's sticking, the temp is hovering around 1 to 1.5 degrees here and it's only sticking when the snow is very heavy.

Just for the record I was in Ballyhaise this afternoon around 4 at the college about 200m away from the weather station. There was a moderate snow shower checked Met Eireann latest reports said rain shower even looked for the hourly update said the same.:confused:Anyway we have had some nice showers in the last 3 to 4 hours a couple cms on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I'm just getting my stove ready and about to head up to the hills in Carlingford in the next 5 minutes, hopefully there will be a fair bit of snow. I will en-devour not to topple over the edge on the way back down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

silverharp wrote: »
    sky news being the attention seeking whores as usual, trying to big up a wee snow shower in Lurgan. Its not exactly stomageddon

edit-might have been BBC , seemed like the usual ott Sky approach

A lot of people here doing the same. A lot of threads and we have had no big freeze, no travel bans.
    Are the weather alerts worth any value? All I've seen so far is a wheelie bin blown over in Dublin, and a pic of some snow earlier on this thread. I travel quite a bit around the country and have had no inconvenience yet. Hype over nothing. If they are going to issue an alert at least get it right.

Are we being wound up by the media?
    Two degrees here, sleet there for an hour. Hardly worth issuing an alert.of
    By the way, this is aimed at the met, not users here

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Light sleety snow in Enniskerry now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Just for the record I was in Ballyhaise this afternoon around 4 at the college about 200m away from the weather station. There was a moderate snow shower checked Met Eireann latest reports said rain shower even looked for the hourly update said the same.:confused:Anyway we have had some nice showers in the last 3 to 4 hours a couple cms on the roads.
    There ya go. Someone claimed the only Met station recording sleet was Casement but that's cause most of them are automated and can't tell if the temperature isn't quite zero.

How high up is your location??

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Met eireaan just updated their yellow snow ice warning valid from midnight for Connaught Ulster dublin included too

• Advertisement

Lenny5 wrote: »
    Met eireaan just updated their yellow snow ice warning valid from midnight for Connaught Ulster dublin included too

I dont understand if you were trying to say the places added or what, and you missed a fair few counties too.

" Snow-ice Warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Laois, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath and Meath
    Update on earlier warning: Wintry showers will continue overnight and at times during Thursday morning. Snow accumulations up to 3 cm are likely. Showers will be most frequent over Connacht, Ulster and north Leinster. Higher accumulations are possible over hills and mountains."

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Snow lying on the ground here in Cavan. Roads should be fun in the morning!!
    Sorry pic a bit dark!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Got an inch of snow earlier on before it got dark. I was in Kilkenny city earlier and no snow there, but it was very scenic with the snow on the hills all around.
    It was sticking to the roads at about 200 asl mark give or take.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

their is 3cm of lying snow on ground here in Virginia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Temp now 5C (according to car), it's near calm, dry and cloudless. Very sheltered from NW winds here.

But I'm south of Kinsale! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

A lot of rain showers on met reports. Why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

First shower of the day with no hail in it. Miracle. All snow. Grass has been white all day, the pavements were Slushy but now a slight covering

• Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The reason the showers are sleety at low levels in the south is because the temperature is higher at various layers than was anticipated. This won't change until early tomorrow morning.

9-7UK.GIF?28-18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Not a sign of any snow down here,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There will be heavy snow showers tomorrow from daylight in the east and southeast throughout the day. Showers elsewhere will turn more rain/sleet by early afternoon. Some are in for a surprise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement