Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

are you looking forward to christmas this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

retalivity wrote: »
    No trying to rub it in but I'm doing exactly that...away to se Asia for a month on the 10th dec. I feckin hate Xmas so this is the first one in ages I'm actually looking forward to

Lucky fecker! I might hit thailand for a few days over the christmas as I'm working some of it. I work for an airline so I can get cheap flights standby which is handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Christmas means going home and seeing family and old friends so I love it. I love the whole celebration though and makes the cold, dark months that more bearable. Love it and always have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

oldyouth wrote: »
    Hate it with a vengeance. I had great Christmases as a kid, so that is not the reason, I just think everyone is expected to act falsely or be considered killjoys. I do like the fact that my 2 sons make a concerted effort to spend time with my wife and I, but recently they have taken to enjoying foreign holidays at that time of year.

Personally, I enjoy spur of the moment festivities, not this never ending build up to the "big day"

I agree, christmas is big business for a lot of outlets and companies. Hence we are strategically controlled by media to embrace the holiday season..

I love Christmas and everything pertaining to it, and the whole run up from Hallowe'en onwards, but I found out yesterday that I won't be able to get home for it. It's heartbreaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

What I do enjoy is the Winter Solace on Dec 21 where I convince myself that every day after that is getting brighter and Spring is underway. You can shove your Yule Log up your.............etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I absolutely love Christmas now.
    Christmas was horrible when I was a child living at home. My dad is an alcoholic. My mum stopped putting up Christmas decorations and buying us presents when I was 12 or 13. We never really got to watch the Toy Show when we were younger because he'd be drunk on friday night and he'd be hungover on sunday afternoon. They basically spent the 2 weeks or so of the school holidays fighting and wrecking the house. I just grew to dread Christmas.

I didn't really enjoy Christmas much after I moved out on my own initially but now I live with my husband and all our dogs, I love it. Christmas is my favourite time of year.
    Eventhough it's just the 2 of us (and the dogs of course) the whole house gets decorated, indoor and outdoor, we watch the Toy Show, all the cheesy Christmas movies, loads of food, loads of drink, have all our friends over as many times as they want, the dogs wear Christmas costumes. A lot of the Christmas stuff I do might seem a little childish to my husband but he understands why I do it.
    I love going to Dublin and Cork to see all the lights.
    All the Christmassy stuff!
    I love it :D

I know there are unhappy people and unhappy families out there, I was one of them at one time, but I just want to enjoy the time I have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Once every four years would be enough for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I absolutely love Christmas now.
    Christmas was horrible when I was a child living at home. My dad is an alcoholic. My mum stopped putting up Christmas decorations and buying us presents when I was 12 or 13. We never really got to watch the Toy Show when we were younger because he'd be drunk on friday night and he'd be hungover on sunday afternoon. They basically spent the 2 weeks or so of the school holidays fighting and wrecking the house. I just grew to dread Christmas.

I didn't really enjoy Christmas much after I moved out on my own initially but now I live with my husband and all our dogs, I love it. Christmas is my favourite time of year.
    Eventhough it's just the 2 of us the whole house gets decorated, indoor and outdoor, we watch the Toy Show, all the cheesy Christmas movies, loads of food, loads of drink, have all our friends over as many times as they want, the dogs wear Christmas costumes. A lot of the Christmas stuff I do might seem a little childish to my husband but he understands why I do it.
    I love going to Dublin and Cork to see all the lights.
    All the Christmassy stuff!
    I love it :D

I know there are unhappy people and unhappy families out there, I was one of them at one time, but I just want to enjoy the time I have now.

Nice. Hope it's a good one for you this year.

Sincerely, 26sdrawkcab, I hope you have a truly fab Christmas :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

AND this Christmas is the first Christmas since 2007 that my husband has a job and the first year in 5 years that he won't be studying as he finished college in June :D

• Advertisement

Ah Jaysus, what right have you to stop me being miserable about Christmas ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

oldyouth wrote: »
    Hate it with a vengeance. I had great Christmases as a kid, so that is not the reason, I just think everyone is expected to act falsely or be considered killjoys. I do like the fact that my 2 sons make a concerted effort to spend time with my wife and I, but recently they have taken to enjoying foreign holidays at that time of year.

Personally, I enjoy spur of the moment festivities, not this never ending build up to the "big day"

Yep. Its built up so much, and shopped for, and baked for and then feckin paid for - it just has to be a let down.

- The only bit I really like is that anyone about the house during the week before gets a glass of whiskey (whether they want one or not :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I bought a Christmas jumper in debenhams today .
    Too soon ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I used to dread it for many a year, then my niece was born on Christmas Eve three years ago and she's just put all the fun back into. I'm really looking forward to it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

First Christmas as a father so I cant bloody wait. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Dreading it. Absolutely dreading it. Lost two very important people this year, and I don't want to celebrate Christmas without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Love Christmas but losing interest in last few years. Need a good snow to get in the mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

Yes Snow really helps, because the country goes into melt down when theres snow (Literally.)

I'll nearly forget when my mom told me santa and all that. I lost my faith in humanity that Christmas tbh.

I really like Christmas when we have relatives over and its not just our family! It makes it more special in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Not really, hate the whole organisation of it for one bloody day. The other half and I are seriously considering trying to feck off somewhere hot for a week with the kids... If we do then I'll avoid any organising like the plague!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Corvo

My birthday is St Stephens Day (I'll be 26) and I cannot stand Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Really looking forward to the break from college (woo hoo! for exams before the holidays) but that's about it. I don't mind Christmas but I'll be very busy with work and then there's just so much to be sorted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My first nephew is due at the end of November, so I'm especially looking forward to my first Christmas as an aunt (I always love Christmas though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I've always gone home for the sake of other people, mostly grandparents but now my grandmother is in a nursing home, wont even know it's christmas or be able to come out for it, so there's really no point to put myself through so much stress

I visited my Grandfather in a nursing home the Christmas before he passed away. He was in a permanent vegetative state so never even knew we were there. It's a Wonderful Life was playing on the TV and as I looked around at the men, all sat up in chairs around the edge of the room, completely unaware of the fact that some bastard had come in and put party hats on their heads I thought No, it ****ing isn't a wonderful life.

What I'm getting at is you're probably making the right choice, I regret going there more that day than I would have regretted not being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I am, hitting the big 40 on the 23 Dec so will be having a few schoops that night and always go out Christmas Eve as well, it's the one time of the year when the pubs are lively and people I grew up with are home for the festive season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

The only bit I really like is that anyone about the house during the week before gets a glass of whiskey (whether they want one or not :D)

It's great, isn't it?
    Sherry in our case..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭ Londyn Inexpensive Ignoramus

I'm sure it'll be a mixed bag for me. Exactly 7 days before Christmas 2013, my fantastic dad passed away. I don't think it had fully sunk in last Christmas but I am sure it'll hit me like a ton of bricks this one.

I know the sounds of Christmas songs send me into a panic at the minute, and I'm not sure how ill ever feel about Christmas again, as my dad was the love of my life and Christmas is supposed to be the time you spend with your family and loved ones.

However, this year the OH and I have something pretty special planned. And in the new year, we are going to travel the west coast of the US (las Vegas woot!)
    So - there'll be happy things this year even if I am emotional

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

I love the whole Christmas period but always find the day itself is a massive anticlimax.

Not this year though, determined this year is gonna be great. Our little one was born in 19 December last year and had to be readmitted to the hospital on 22 December. My wife and her were the only two there on Christmas Eve, everyone else got let out for the night, it was heart breaking leaving them there. The nurses were great, and Santa came round on Christmas morning with presents for everyone as all the others had now returned. Throw into it all our eldest who had just turned 2 and who was having her first real Christmas understanding the whole Santa thing, it broke our hearts to have to postpone Christmas for a few days until the baby was discharged, although at 2 she didn't realise, I think it was more disappointing for us.

Not this year though, we are going to have a great Christmas. Went to the Smyths toy sale a few weeks back and spent a fortune, gonna make up for last years terrible time.

BTW, hospitals take donations of toys to give to sick children on Christmas morning, I couldn't describe the smiles on the children's faces last year as Santa came to see them, a very worthy cause indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

Absolutely dreading it,will be the 2nd anniversary on Dec 22th of my 6 year old boy passing away,so hate the Xmas time of year now,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

manutd83 wrote: »
    Absolutely dreading it,will be the 2nd anniversary on Dec 22th of my 6 year old boy passing away,so hate the Xmas time of year now,

I'm so very sorry to hear this. I just can't imagine the pain of losing a child. My heart actually hurts when I hear stories like this. I really hope the pain eases for you over time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

I love Christmas so much. I think it's great to take time out from a busy schedule and appreciate family and all they do throughout the year and mark the day with a big feast. For the past few years family made a rule 'no gifts' but I always broke it with something small and didn't want anything or expect anything in return.

This year, I'm dreading Christmas. Much of my family are gone abroad now so it will be very quite.

I also have some money worries. I have a limited income and I have people not within my family to buy for and I have no idea how I'm going to do things with a budget of about 20 euro to spend per person.

Also I remember last Janaury's ESB bill. It was high one and the only thing I can think of that added to that was the Christmas lights on the tree even tough they weren't even on all the time. So we will be very mindful this year of the Christmas lights and maybe even only have them on for the evening time of Xmas eve, Xmas day and St Stephens day.

I have two concert tickets for new years eve too which I'm sorry now I bought. I think I would prefer staying in and keeping my mam company instead, so I would like to give my tickets up, maybe to a charity for raffling. I bought them online with hard copies due to be posted to me. I wonder even though I paid for them with my visa card, would it be OK to give them up in such a way?

Advertisement