Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Washing up/ Cleaning dishes with COLD water

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

c_man wrote: »
    Plastic knives and forks. Sometimes I just eat over the bin.

Out of the sauce pan...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

My father insists that you should steep a pan or pot with cold water however. I think this is counter-intuitive. Anybody an expert on this?

My Mum thinks the same. I think she's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I think you need hot water to loosen the dirt, on certain things anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

What about scrambled egg pots?
    Cold water works better but they still need far too much of a scrubbing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Sauve wrote: »

The trick there is not to burn the scrambled eggs. ;)

• Advertisement

Sauve wrote: »

I do mine in a non stick pan and they do not stick!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

dee_mc wrote: »
    WilyCoyote wrote: »
    All plates get put on the floor for Sammy to give the once over before being put in the dishwasher. Why they end in the dishwasher is beyond me as Sammy leaves them spotless.

Puked in my mouth a little bit

I trust you didn't waste it and hopefully you left it on the floor for Sammy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

I microwave 3 beaten eggs in a coffee mug most mornings. Have to soak the mug once I eat them so the mug is easier to wash later that day.

I microwave 3 beaten eggs in a coffee mug most mornings. Have to soak the mug once I eat them so the mug is easier to wash later that day.

Oh I no like microwaved eggs :/

I do like egg in a cup though. Mushed up boiled egg with a bit of butter.

Or guggy egg as it's known in my family :P

Oh I no like microwaved eggs :/

I do like egg in a cup though. Mushed up boiled egg with a bit of butter.

Or guggy egg as it's known in my family :P

Microwaved eggs are not too bad with some butter in them once they've been nuked.

Mushed up boiled eggs with butter are OMG SO DARN GOOOOOD!

Best when they are still warm from the boiling.

I'm making myself hungry. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Don't you hate scraping small bits of soggy food from the bottom of the sink after washing the dishes?
    It's all squidgy and nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Like washing your face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

As I said, hot water will clean the dishes quicker.

On the other stuff, grand but warmish hot water and detergent can indeed kill bacteria. The water doesn't need to be boiling. Detergents destabilise bacterial cell walls and membranes, they do this much better in warm water.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

You know me well enough by now to know that the idea of me owning and minding a non-stick pan is absolutely hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/health/13real.html?_r=0

Scientific paper from 2005 linked in that article showing no difference for bacterial reduction between hot and cold water for hand washing.

There's no reason to assume it's any different for washing dishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

As I said, hot water will clean the dishes quicker. ...................................................................................................................................................................................................
    Debatable! But I'm more eco friendly.
    Just nipped in here while Masta is dozing (pre and post prandial snifters take their toll)! As a Southern Belle (rescued from Katrina) I know a thing or two about earning my keep, being economical and, above all, not damaging our micro-eco system here in the Northern Appalachian foothills. Consider the amount of times I've had the hairs of my nose singed by smelling the back wheels of cars owned by OCD types that squirt these nauseating anti-bacterial thingies ........ just for the sake of it.
    I'm an expert on cleaning porridge pots :P
    .......................................................................................................................................
    Well ..... coincidence! So am I. Masta takes the easy way ........ empties sachets into bowl ....... adds small jug of 2% Milk, Maple Syrup, Raisins and Cranberries ........ microwave for 2 MINS ....... stir and pour in Half&Half to suit and he's off - while I lick said jug. Then as he scrapes the sides of the bowl I begin to salivate as I know his next move - the sink. He pours in a little water and then some milk ....... scrapes the crusty bits off the top inside ...... lets me lick the spoon before putting the bowl down. Exactly 27 seconds later and it's looking like Kerry Katona's teeth. Bless!
    I trust you didn't waste it and hopefully you left it on the floor for Sammy.
    If Dee's acid reflux is a problem then she should see a Vet pdq! Hopefully she is awake whilst doing this. Remember Mama Cass, Jimmy Hendrix, Kevin Loyd etc.
    Sad story but I love my humans.:)

Must get back to sitting by the porch as he's stirring.
    Love,
    Sammy

PS. If you've got 9 minutes to see where I've come from. Have the tissues out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-GB&v=csNEjnfGsTM&gl=GB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

Wha is it the 50s? Dishwasher!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Think about what's happening at the molecular level, it should become clearer. When you heat water, the molecules vibrate much more energetically, and that's how they help shift dirt. They get inside, vibrate the dirt off the dishes, with help from chemicals in soap. The soap then coats the dirt (and bacteria) to stop it from sticking to anything else.

In my opinion, anti-bacterials are unnecessary and are no substitute for soap. You don't need to kill the bacteria, you just need to get them off whatever it is you're trying to clean.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Just watch , next we'll have a thread for '' washing up/cleaning dishes with NO water ''

Well next January when the first bills for water charges arrive .

Advertisement