Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Back to education allowance 2013/2014

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

how does the change over in payment actually work? i'll be starting classes on Monday the 9th and usually get paid on a Wednesday, will i get paid the wednesday before and get weds-friday payment in the post like they do when you sign off or will btea kick in on the same day as I'd normally get paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Wexford92

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone has had a problem with their Back To Education Allowance for 2013/2014 who has been working part time ? Basically I have been deducted nearly €100 per week from my BTEA because I was doing x's and o's before I started my course. When i found this out, after checking my bank balance and rang my local office to find out what was going on, I was told this is a new rule that had been brought in to means test BTEA and that I was only entitled to what they had been giving me on average for the 8 weeks previous to my course starting. Also, the place I work is closing in two weeks which I told them I could get a letter from my employer stating but the woman said id didn't make a difference that I have no job for the remainder of the year and there was nobody I could appeal it to. I know of at least two other people that were working before they started their course and they are receiving the full payment. I just don't understand this, apart from the fact I will have no job next week, how can they expect people to earn the same money they had previously when you're in college five days a week? And they are also penalising people for working where they can ?I also can't see anything about it in the budget so just do not understand this at all. If anyone else has experienced this or knows what this is about I'd be grateful to hear from you thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

Wexford92 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm wondering if anyone has had a problem with their Back To Education Allowance for 2013/2014 who has been working part time ? Basically I have been deducted nearly €100 per week from my BTEA because I was doing x's and o's before I started my course. When i found this out, after checking my bank balance and rang my local office to find out what was going on, I was told this is a new rule that had been brought in to means test BTEA and that I was only entitled to what they had been giving me on average for the 8 weeks previous to my course starting. Also, the place I work is closing in two weeks which I told them I could get a letter from my employer stating but the woman said id didn't make a difference that I have no job for the remainder of the year and there was nobody I could appeal it to. I know of at least two other people that were working before they started their course and they are receiving the full payment. I just don't understand this, apart from the fact I will have no job next week, how can they expect people to earn the same money they had previously when you're in college five days a week? And they are also penalising people for working where they can ?I also can't see anything about it in the budget so just do not understand this at all. If anyone else has experienced this or knows what this is about I'd be grateful to hear from you thanks.

Could nearly say I am in the same boat as you. I am being means tested on my BTEA when I was told that I wouldn't be. My partner is working a full time job and I moved from JA to this. Their website is conflicting though..On it, it states that it will not be means tested but you will get what you previously got before on what ever scheme you were on.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Education-Allowance-Scheme.aspx

Section 1.16.2 of the operational guidelines

'For new BTEA entrants where a person has been signing casually immediately prior to the commencement of a course , the rate of BTEA should be calculated by averaging SW payment from the last eight weeks payment. If there is a change in means circumstances, other than part-time work undertaken by the BTEA participant, during the academic year, then a revised decision may be applied.'

This applies only to new BTEA applicants. It would also appear that if a person has to give up their part-time work because of College commitments, they will not be re-assessed.

BTEA is an administrative scheme and cannot be appealed. However, a decision may be reviewed and if necessary be sent to the BTEA section for further review.

BTEA Section
    Department of Social Protection
    Social Welfare Services Office
    Government Buildings
    Shannon Lodge
    Carrick-on-Shannon
    Leitrim
    Ireland
    Tel:(071) 967 2616
    Locall:1890 927 999

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭chopper666

If I get course related work experience can I stay on the BTEA during the summer or will I have to sign on the dole again ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

chopper666 wrote: »
    If I get course related work experience can I stay on the BTEA during the summer or will I have to sign on the dole again ?

A friend of mine had the same issue as part of his course he had to undertake work experience and he did in fact get the BTEA. Also got paid by the employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭IanLAD

how much is the btea?

IanLAD wrote: »
    how much is the btea?

[/QUOTE]Since 1 January 2013, if you are a new BTEA participant aged over 25 your weekly BTEA rate will be equal to your previous social protection payment

If you are a new participant aged under 25 and you were getting a reduced age-related Jobseeker's Allowance payment, you will get a new personal maximum BTEA rate of €160[/QUOTE]

Source: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html#l62fd2

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭IanLAD

ifeelill wrote: »
    Since 1 January 2013, if you are a new BTEA participant aged over 25 your weekly BTEA rate will be equal to your previous social protection payment

If you are a new participant aged under 25 and you were getting a reduced age-related Jobseeker's Allowance payment, you will get a new personal maximum BTEA rate of €160[/QUOTE]

Source: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html#l62fd2[/QUOTE]
    thanks, i just looked on there myself
    now, time to get the finger out and see what damn course i want to do
    TICK TOCK!

IanLAD wrote: »
    Since 1 January 2013, if you are a new BTEA participant aged over 25 your weekly BTEA rate will be equal to your previous social protection payment

If you are a new participant aged under 25 and you were getting a reduced age-related Jobseeker's Allowance payment, you will get a new personal maximum BTEA rate of €160

Source: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html#l62fd2[/QUOTE]
    thanks, i just looked on there myself
    now, time to get the finger out and see what damn course i want to do
    TICK TOCK![/quote]

The CAO have a list of vacant places if you don't get the course in the college you want it might be listed on there

• Advertisement
Advertisement