Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Support for those quitting smoking

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 orlamcnevin

I haven't tried the electronic cigs but find Champix excellent.

It's medication that you take over 3 months. It's only available on perscription.
    Not sure of all the details but it basically inhibits the receptors in your brain that crave nicotine.
    They really work too.
    You continue to smoke when you start them and then quit between day 10 -14.
    I picked day 14 which was yesterday and still going strong!

Here's a link with more info:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/smoking-cessation/medicines/champix.html

There are some side-effects that affect people differently.
    For me it's that I'm more tired and emotional...literally!! :)
    They also can make you feel really nauseous but if you take them with food it's ok.

Would highly recommend!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Thanks for all of that and I guess the instructions do advise that you take them on a full stomach yes?

They sound like a great option and as for the tired and emotional symptoms, I am sure that they will pass and hey, maybe you could do with some badly needed sleep and at least you avoid any pangs that might otherwise occur.

Were you able to avail of the prescription for these in Ireland or UK?

Well to be honest I got my mam to get them over the counter when she was in Spain last month.
    I was on them in Australia two years ago so was fairly comfortable taking them without a perscription this time.

I think they're fairly expensive here but way cheaper than smoking in the long run!!!

I'm pretty sure any GP will perscribe them.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Thanks and do hope that you too will be able to get them without issue when you run out.

When you mentioned that you were on them two years ago, I am prompted to ask if they are in any way addictive, or how long does one need to be on them before nicotine cravings subside?

Sorry about the questions, but am interested to know if perhaps you gave up taking them and have just recommenced, as two years does seem a long time.

No worries about questions!

I was on them while I was a student in Austrailia. I ran out of the first 6 week supply and couldn't afford to get more...(they were $250 over there!) So I ended up smoking again after a few weeks off Champix.

I don't think they're addictive and have not seen anything online it so I think it's safe enough.
    It's strange how they work, they just take away that physical compulsion to smoke. It doesn't make it easy as there's still all the mental and habitual stuff to battle but it's a massive help.

Day 3 today!!!

I'm 28, smoked 20 - 25 per day and started 14 years ago!! So if I found that it helped most people should!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 salientsix

I started smoking when I was 15 (45 now ).....off them one year ago today:cool:

I looked at my daughter, thought about her when she'll be in her 20's & realised I may not be there to see it.....went cold turkey & haven't looked back since. Cravings don't really exist anymore but there is the odd occassion when the smell of a cig is so tempting but that is all, I think about my daughter....I reckon if you can focus on losing something greater in your life than your addiction for cigarettes, it'll really help to pull you through the worst of it. I drank water only for the first week, steered clear of juices, caffine & booze....probably one of the hardest things I've ever done but I genuinely feel great now, loads of energy & of course I've hopefully given myself a chance to see & do all the things that I'm meant to with my daughter...best of luck to anybody who's trying to quit but be reassured you can do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

smoking and inhaling around 15 cafe creme tip cigars a day, my throath and chest is in ribbons, i really need to stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Nothing i cant seem to give up i never last when i try i am 23 and smoking 40 a day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Off them over 1 1/2 years.
    Best thing I ever did but only realising the damage done now.
    I have always wished I never started, pity I didnt give up earlier, glad I'm off them.

Only one person can make you quit... do it and keep doing it until your off them. With every attempt you get closer to being off them for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

A week off today using the lozenges. I smoked about 15 to 20 a day and am using the low dose lozenges.
    Only time I've been bothered is going back after lunch in work and going to walk outside for a smoke and then remembering I'm off them, other than that it's been extremely easy. I'd recommend to anyone to give them a try.

Have a bit of a silly question to ask though, can anyone think of any small, chalky mints to mix in with the lozenges? I reckon that'll make it easier to stop taking the lozenges when the time is right, I'm used to being constantly minty at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 FATTARSE

Went cold turkey 2nd Feb and not one since. This is my third serious attempt and I am determined this time.

Still smoke free!! 18 days 9 hours and 42 mins.

Still going strong since 2nd Feb. I had my first smoking dream last night and that was scary but awoke delighted realising I am still off them :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    Never posted here but been a long time lurker.

Just wanted to say I've completed 7 days without a cig now (I'm using patches).

I know it's barely anything compared to those who have done months and years not smoking but the best I ever did previously was a mere 6 days. Yes, I'm hugely embarrassed about that I admit but there you go. The last few quits barely got into the 24 hour mark :(

There's been a few times where I felt like wandering off to the shop for ciggies - as I normally do after a day or so - but nope, I haven't weakened this time and I don't intend to.

I hope to post here again next week saying I've passed a fortnight :)

5 years passed today (5th March) - so I'm pretty pleased with myself :D

Best thing I ever did was to stop smoking :)

I will be 5 weeks smoke free this Saturday. Getting easier by the day but have to be strong at times. Feel Great!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

I'm 2.5 months today, used 4mg lozenges at first been on the 2mg since week 2. Really cut down on the lozenges this week as well! 7
    You can do it, really had the will power this time round:D

I will be smoke free 3 months on 2nd May 2013. Best thing I have ever done. I feel fantastic. I played golf last night in bright sunshine and ate an apple on the back 9, it tasted like heaven and the smell of the freshly cut grass nearly knocked me out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tommy Target

On day 10 ..Have smoked since I was about 14 yo I am now 46 ..Have been off them for 7yrs & 4 1/2 yrs ..So here I go again ..They say each time you stop smoking it gets worse ..I agree in that the cravings occur at different times ..But the benefits of being off the cigs so outweigh them ..I just say to people thinking bout quitting just give it a go ..Drink plenty of water ..And enjoy the fresh smelling house and car and clothes you wear..And the money in your pocket ..And last but not least The longer life u will live

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

Started vaping last october and I have not smoked since and I have no desire to ever smoke again. Tried all the other crap but always ended up back smoking again.
    Vaping works for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Glenvw

Will be off them a year this month. Best thing I have ever done. There is times though when it's still difficult. If you can keep yourself occupied for that five mins of craving you will beat them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

10 weeks off them on Thursday! It gets a little easier everyday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭dball

electronic cigs

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

So I haven't had a fag in 5 days. Gone cold turkey. Just locked myself in the house for the first three days. Better today. Gonna keep the faith and kick the habit!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sarwal

Nico lozenges been 6 days and already cut down on them

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭FueledbyCoffee

I'm on day 6 of Champix - going through a very hard time at the moment and usually I would be smoking like a chimney to get through it, haven't smoked as much as I normally would and each smoke is starting to taste weirder and weirder

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sarwal

Getting there been 10 days and am feeling better last 2 days , only downside I've about 5 mouth ulcers I was expecting some just wondering how long I have to put up with them :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Sarwal wrote: »
    Getting there been 10 days and am feeling better last 2 days , only downside I've about 5 mouth ulcers I was expecting some just wondering how long I have to put up with them :-(

I had to deal with that too... they went away after a little under a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I was sitting there, I had one fag left. I was wondering where the nearest tobacconist was, how much fags would cost here and if they'd have my brand. Then I wondered what time the shop would close. In a brief moment of clarity , I thought this is a lot of hassle for some smokes, bollox to this, I'm going to top smoking.

That was a week ago and things are going ok. Having the odd craving but nothing I can't handle. I am nearly treating it as an experiment to see how my body reacts to quitting. Mentally I am in a good place, it really is like a switch was flipped in my head.

Knowledge is power and reading this forum and other information sources has been great for me.It helps take your mind off things when the cravings hit.

understanding the addiction is key to beating it. Know your enemy.

Yesterday, day 6, was tough. I was agitated all day, but I was in a situation where I would have been regardless if I smoked or not. Smoking is the cause of the raised agitation state and not the cure. It will pass with time. Today I feel much better and my sleeping has certainly improved.

28 days is my goal, when I hit around that time I know that I am over the worst of it and every day on the road to there is a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭FueledbyCoffee

Fair play to you doing it cold turkey. I had to come off the Champix and then was doing it cold turkey - was having a very hard time, lost a friend during this time too. When it got to three weeks mentally I really wasn't in a good place so rather than light up a fag I went for the e-cig.

Had a crappy one that I got at the shopping centre which did me but then got more info and I'm vaping away now. If it wasn't for the e-cig I'd still be smoking but with it I'm doing grand - 9 weeks now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Orlaw3136

One month smoke free.

Took Champix for 3 weeks then stopped (no side-effects - just would prefer not to be taking medication if possible and felt strong).

No cravings to speak of, just reminders that I used to smoke.

I've been under pressure in work, relaxing over a beer and away on holiday to a smoker's paradise (south of France) I'm convinced I am now a non-smoker, subject to NOPE.

If I find myself having an actual craving in the next 6 months I'm going straight back on the Champix.

Advertisement