Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Climote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

AstraMonti wrote:
    I have two timers (side by side), one for hot water, the other for the heating. I also have 3 thermostats, one per floor.
    Can one climote do the job and control all of this?

Hi AstraMonti,

Climote is capable of controlling up to three heating zones, or two heating zones and one zone dedicated to hot water. Provided your heating system supports it, it can also regulate temperature.

The following video goes through the functionality of the Android/iOS app, which shows you what can be controlled remotely:

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

dingding wrote: »
    Ok

I will try them again next week.
    Hi again Dingding,

Or if you like, private message us your contact details and we can look into this for you.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Provided your heating system supports it, it can also regulate temperature.

Thanks David. How can I figure out if it supports it? Can someone come over to my house and do a survey before buying it?

Hi Astramonti,

If you send me your full name and phone number by PM I can arrange for one of the guys to give you a call.

Thanks,

David

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Hi again Dingding,

Or if you like, private message us your contact details and we can look into this for you.

Regards,
    Una

Thanks Una,

Got a call today and I ordered it.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Hi Dingding,

That's great - thanks for letting us know! :)

Una

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Got it installed today, liking it a lot:cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dylan goes electric

Just checking — does the Climote unit have a SIM card inside? Or do I need a phone line / wifi network in my house in order to control it remotely?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Just checking — does the Climote unit have a SIM card inside? Or do I need a phone line / wifi network in my house in order to control it remotely?

It has a sim card inside it. The €36 per year is for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dylan goes electric

That's what I was hoping. Cheers Mugser.

• Advertisement

Hi Dingding,

Did you phone the number on this link on AXA's website?

Regards,
    Una

Hi Una,

I am not sure if I got the axa voucher as I forgot to mention axa when the person rang back.

If I pm you my details could you check please.

Many thanks.

Hi Dingding,

Do indeed private message me your name/address/telephone number.

Regards,
    Una

Hi Dingding,

Do indeed private message me your name/address/telephone number.

Regards,
    Una
    Thanks Una, Voucher was emailed to me and Climote installed today.  First impressions are that it is great.

dingding wrote:
    First impressions are that it is great.

Thanks dingding, good to hear that. We have a feeling this first impression will last, and hopefully save you some €'s in the process. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Hi,

I want to check something about Climote. Does the unit come with one wired remote thermostat unit or is the thermostat unit built into the timer itself?

For example.. if my timer is in the kitchen but I want the sitting room to be the temprature zone would the timer need to be moved or can I install and wire back the termastat to the unit?

Hi mloc123,

I spoke with our Home Energy Services team and they advised:

The Climote unit replaces any existing functions you have within your heating system. It will replace your existing time-clock and be linked to your thermostats.

Regards,
    Una

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

mloc123 wrote: »
    Hi,

I want to check something about Climote. Does the unit come with one wired remote thermostat unit or is the thermostat unit built into the timer itself?

For example.. if my timer is in the kitchen but I want the sitting room to be the temprature zone would the timer need to be moved or can I install and wire back the termastat to the unit?

The thermostat is built into the hub/timer whatever you want to call it. It can be wired to room stats, but the temperature control that you see online or control via the hub will be from the hub rather then the room stat. So if its going to be in a colder room or warmer, you can set the temp higher or lower to try compensate the difference, or put the hub in the sitting room but might be awkward from getting back to the boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Davy wrote: »
    The thermostat is built into the hub/timer whatever you want to call it. It can be wired to room stats, but the temperature control that you see online or control via the hub will be from the hub rather then the room stat. So if its going to be in a colder room or warmer, you can set the temp higher or lower to try compensate the difference, or put the hub in the sitting room but might be awkward from getting back to the boiler.
    Cheers, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I'd like to try one, please...

Now - i am really interested in the following....

How does it work? I assume it uses a SIM card? and how much does that cost? If you dont want to use a SIM card can you use an existing internet connection? 

And, finally....

And chance the T&C's can be distilled down into a half a page of plain english?

Thanks

FoxT wrote: »
    I'd like to try one, please...

Now - i am really interested in the following....

How does it work? I assume it uses a SIM card? and how much does that cost? If you dont want to use a SIM card can you use an existing internet connection?

And, finally....

And chance the T&C's can be distilled down into a half a page of plain english?

Thanks
    BluE-WinG wrote: »
    Hi Electric Ireland
    I am enquiring about the sim card that is embedded in Climote. After a year, I'm sure many of us would prefer not to have another bill of 36e a year.

If we have a smart-phone with the downloaded Climote app - Could this be used remotely to control climote via your home internet connection and your smartphones internet connection- Thereby removing the requirement for the Sim card?

I guess the question really is - Is climote wifi enabled and can you access it using the app without the need for the sim card?
    Hi FoxT and BluE-WinG,

I have escalated your queries to Home Energy Services and will advise you of their response ASAP. In the meantime, just FYI, here is info regarding the SIM cost and the associated special offers (no payment of the SIM for a year or two years, depending which payment option is chosen): https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential-energy-services/home-services/How-can-I-buy-climote.jsp - the main terms and conditions are contained herein, and just to add: customers who would like to avail of the instalment plan option (paying off the Climote via bill) as well as it being required to be a direct debit customer, they must also be a customer with Electric Ireland a minimum of 12 months.

Our competition thread features a demo video on the first post; ensure to post your competition entry there if you have not done so already.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

Hi again FoxT and BluE-WinG.

There is currently no WiFi for Climote. The product is only equipped to receive messages via SIM. If a customer does not wish to pay the €36 SIM fee after the first year, or two years (depending which payment option they choose) the Climote can just be used as a time-clock.

A Vodafone SIM card is placed in the back of the Climote, which is then fitted where the time-clock would have been. There is a number on the card, which the customer uses to send messages from the various channels available (mobile phone/smartphone/tablet/computer). Smartphone and web app will perform the same tasks as the wall device, i.e. full view of the heating system.
    For customers who do not have a smartphone, it is simply a matter of texting the command, e.g. "Heating for 1 hour."

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

Hi again FoxT and BluE-WinG.

There is currently no WiFi for Climote. The product is only equipped to receive messages via SIM. If a customer does not wish to pay the €36 SIM fee after the first year, or two years (depending which payment option they choose) the Climote can just be used as a time-clock.

A Vodafone SIM card is placed in the back of the Climote, which is then fitted where the time-clock would have been. There is a number on the card, which the customer uses to send messages from the various channels available (mobile phone/smartphone/tablet/computer). Smartphone and web app will perform the same tasks as the wall device, i.e. full view of the heating system.
    For customers who do not have a smartphone, it is simply a matter of texting the command, e.g. "Heating for 1 hour."
    Many thanks for the quick response. Can you replace the Sim card with a different Sim card and use it in the same way?

Hi again BluE-WinG,

No problem - hapy to help. The SIM can only be the Vodafone one, as Electric Ireland is in partnership with Vodafone for delivery of this particular service.
    WiFi may be a possibility down the line, but at present it is only SIM-based.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

Hi again BluE-WinG,

No problem - hapy to help. The SIM can only be the Vodafone one, as Electric Ireland is in partnership with Vodafone for delivery of this particular service.
    WiFi may be a possibility down the line, but at present it is only SIM-based.

Regards,
    Una
    Thanks for letting me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Hi

I'm interested in this, but I would prefer for a wifi enabled one, so I might hold off. I have a three zone system, water - beds - living, with a thermostat in each zone and a central time clock.

I take it the central time clock is what Climote replace?

Instead I would prefer to have control over two of the thermostats and lower and raise, or even turn off each thermostat independently,  and also some way to report to me when a thermostat is calling for heat.  

I suspect Climote is not for me. Have you anything else that might provide this functionality.

Hi Colm,

Unfortunately there is just the SIM-based option for facility for now.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Just a couple of questions.

Whats the signal like in one of these units?
    Where I live the mobile phone signal is terrible, were lucky to get a signal in the house.

I have a sauter 3 zone time clock installed. It allows 3 on periods  during the day. 

Is the climote the same? 

cheers
    StokolaN

From chatting to my installer they can add an aerial to the clock if the signal is weak.

Hi Stokolan,
    Stokolan wrote:
    Whats the signal like in one of these units?

The unit communicates via a vodafone-enabled SIM so, as with a mobile, the strength of the signal is dependent on the coverage in the area. However as pointed out by dingding, if the signal is a particularly weak, an aerial can be installed to boost it.
    Stokolan wrote:
    I have a sauter 3 zone time clock installed. It allows 3 on periods  during the day.

Is it the Sauter T37 by any chance? The climote isn't restricted to 3 on periods, and it also has the added advantage that it can be remote controlled in three different ways: by text/SMS, online, and via the Android/iOS app. There is a useful FAQ on the climote website here too, in case that helps.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask us.

Thanks,

David

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Yeah that's the version I have. Also The sauter goes up in increments of 10min is this the same with the climote?

Thanks for the info

Advertisement