Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-10-2012, 18:53   #1
mehfesto
Closed Account

Dublin Camera Club

Hello all,

I've managed to wrangle Tuesday evenings off work and was considering joining the DCC. To be honest, I just want to meet with like-minded folk, use the studio and share and receive tips with other photo-enthusiasts.

I'm just wondering what people's experience with the DCC are. I know nothing about them at all, but before I attend, I'd like to suss it out somehow.

Are the classes worthwhile? What's the studio like and is it 24/7?
Advertisement
10-10-2012, 18:59   #2
fox007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehfesto View Post
Hello all,

I've managed to wrangle Tuesday evenings off work and was considering joining the DCC. To be honest, I just want to meet with like-minded folk, use the studio and share and receive tips with other photo-enthusiasts.

I'm just wondering what people's experience with the DCC are. I know nothing about them at all, but before I attend, I'd like to suss it out somehow.

Are the classes worthwhile? What's the studio like and is it 24/7?
If your around Sunday there is this happening
http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056774341?page=1

All are welcome
Thanks from:
10-10-2012, 20:06   #3
sineadw

Was a member for years. Great bunch
(3) thanks from:
10-10-2012, 21:51   #4
Adrian.Sadlier

DCC

I'm a member there for just over 2 years now. Why not just pop along any Tuesday at 8.00pm and see for yourself.

Visitors are always welcome and prospective members can get a "tour" of the premises afterwards and get to chat to memebers to get a feel for it. About 1/3 of Tuesday meetings are centred around regular competition and the rest of the time we will have guest presenters in - usually very informative. There is a full list on the web site www.dublincameraclub.ie of scheduled meetings.

But its not just about the meetings. There are a few outings during the year (Dingle, Mondello etc), a Beginners & Improvers Workshop, a Distinctions Workshop for people looking to do an LIPF, AIPF or FIPF, a Documentary Workshop and of course the studio, darkrooms and our twice annual 10 week courses - some of the best value in Dublin.

And a lot more!

BTW, I am not on the committee and have nothing to do with the running of the club, just a reasonably happy member.

Adrian
(2) thanks from:
11-10-2012, 00:27   #5
mehfesto
Closed Account

Thanks all.

Sounds great, but my current job means I'm working every weekend. Would I be missing much by not going on the outings, or the weekend shows?
Advertisement
11-10-2012, 18:45   #6
xia

I'm a member for about 3 years or so.

Adrian explained well what's going on. After the meetings you can have coffee / tea upstairs, chat with people, get books from the library or go for a pint and chat across the road at Devitts... Oh, and Adrian didn't mention the Annual Exhibition for the month of July in Pearse Street Library where every member that submits is guaranteed at least one print in it.

As for the outings: not everybody goes on them. Luckily. As there are around 250 members in the club And not all of them turn up for the meeting either.

Not sure what you mean with "weekend shows"...? Or is that about the things mentioned on the website in the calendar? That is only attended by a few people and had mainly to do with the IPF / Distinctions so isn't necessarily organised by DCC.

So as Adrian said: Come along any Tuesday, check us out and decide then
(2) thanks from:
15-10-2012, 23:56   #7
Cheezypuf

I did their beginners class a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it and learnt a lot. I would highly recommend the place.
16-10-2012, 12:35   #8
thefizz

I did a talk and presentation of my work in DCC last year and found them to be a very welcoming and friendly bunch of people.
Thanks from:
25-12-2012, 00:35   #9
Fruit1985

Website appears to be down. Anyone got any ideas why? This place still going?
Advertisement
25-12-2012, 11:59   #10
Adrian.Sadlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit1985 View Post
Website appears to be down. Anyone got any ideas why? This place still going?
Its still going but the landing page for the web site has changed - try this

http://www.dublincameraclub.ie/
25-12-2012, 12:34   #11
melekalikimaka

dammit diceys has its 2euro all pints/jagerbombs on a tuesday, schedule clash :-(
04-01-2013, 13:34   #12
Fruit1985

So what's the story with the Dublin Camera Club, does one just rock up on a Tuesday evening with the membership form and fee included? Are they a nice bunch? Does one going on their own find it easy to fit in?
07-01-2013, 22:57   #13
Ben D Bus

If I get out of the swimming pool in time tomorrow I might just pop in.

I really need to up my game and a club might provide the focus.

That, and I need to get my hands on a studio, which is where my main interest is.
08-01-2013, 21:21   #14
Ben D Bus

So I signed up this evening. Couldn't stay for the slideshow but hope to start getting involved.

I think the last club I joined was the Dennis the Menace fan club
(3) thanks from:
08-01-2013, 22:30   #15
OREGATO

I was there this evening signing on for the beginners class as well, have been meaning to get out more with the camera but haven't really had a chance. The course should be good to get started and motivated, especially coming into the longer evenings and better weather.

The club is easy to find and a very convienent location, members are friendly and informative too. Looking forward to doing the class, is there many doing it?
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion