Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-11-2012, 03:26   #1
neaideabh

Unlocked Phones wont work with Three sim cards?

Lost my smartphone a while back. 12 months into a 24 month contract... my Dad got an O2 smartphone (Samsung Android, not S3) that he won't use. He gave it to me.
I brought it into a shop to get it unlocked and when he asked for the SIM card when the phone was unlocked, he seen it was three and said that it mightn't work. It didn't.

Then I went into carphone warehouse to enquire bout the Nokia Lumia that is going cheap. I asked the girl, whats the story with getting it unlocked... She said that Vodafone make you spend €160 in credit to get it unlocked and if you go to a private shop to get it done for €10, you lose your warranty!

Anyways, she also said that three are tricky when it comes to unlocked phones!
Anyone know why or how I can get a Nokia Lumia unlocked for a three sim?
Advertisement
23-11-2012, 03:32   #2
sugarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by neaideabh View Post
Lost my smartphone a while back. 12 months into a 24 month contract... my Dad got an O2 smartphone (Samsung Android, not S3) that he won't use. He gave it to me.
I brought it into a shop to get it unlocked and when he asked for the SIM card when the phone was unlocked, he seen it was three and said that it mightn't work. It didn't.

Then I went into carphone warehouse to enquire bout the Nokia Lumia that is going cheap. I asked the girl, whats the story with getting it unlocked... She said that Vodafone make you spend €160 in credit to get it unlocked and if you go to a private shop to get it done for €10, you lose your warranty!

Anyways, she also said that three are tricky when it comes to unlocked phones!
Anyone know why or how I can get a Nokia Lumia unlocked for a three sim?
I can safely say iv never had a problem with using my 3 sim in any unlocked phone in all my years on the network. I'd say it's just the guy unlocking it, or perhaps the handset is tricky itself to be unlocked.

Get a second opinion elsewhere.
23-11-2012, 04:15   #3
AlmightyCushion

I've been using my 3 sim in unlocked phones for years with no problems.
23-11-2012, 14:41   #4
Kristopherus

Is it possible that Samsung is not 3g? Three sims will only work in 3g enabled phones.
23-11-2012, 15:31   #5
sugarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristopherus View Post
Is it possible that Samsung is not 3g? Three sims will only work in 3g enabled phones.
They work fine in almost all 2g phones too, just not on 3g coverage. Which I barley get anyway arround here
Advertisement
24-11-2012, 01:59   #6
Kristopherus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarman View Post
They work fine in almost all 2g phones too, just not on 3g coverage. Which I barley get anyway arround here
No, they do not, at least not in my experience.. I've tried a Three sim in 5 different unlocked phones and it would'nt work in any of them. Even got another phone unlocked by a UK based firm. The phone would not work with a Three sim afterwards. Emailed them & they confirmed that the phone was only 2g. I have a dual sim phone which takes a 3g sim and a 2g sim. If I put the Three sim into the 2g slot, it will not work.
24-11-2012, 11:00   #7
Danger781

The phone needs to work on on the 2100 Mhz UMTS frequency. Check GSMArena.com to view the phones frequency.
Thanks from:
24-11-2012, 14:24   #8
neaideabh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger781 View Post
The phone needs to work on on the 2100 Mhz UMTS frequency. Check GSMArena.com to view the phones frequency.
Thanks for that.... checked the website and as you suggested, the phone I had tried to get unlocked before was only 2000 Mhz.

The Lumia is 2100 Mhz which going by your info, means it will work! Can you tell me for certain that this is the issue. Like I'm gonna spend €149 on it so I want to be sure that it will work!
24-11-2012, 16:32   #9
**Timbuk2**

You could buy it unlocked from amazon?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nokia-Lumia-.../dp/B0065VOIB0

I have, and it works with my three sim card fine!
Advertisement
26-11-2012, 17:03   #10
Danger781

According to Wikipedia that is the only frequency Three work on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Network_Code

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion