Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-10-2012, 13:12   #1

Marx Computers - Gone?

just checked marxcomputers.ie and the front page is down, called them up and got a recorded message saying theyed ceased trading.

sorry to see them go, always found them decent and friendly and usually the best place to pick up emergency parts in dublin.
probably spent a good few hundred with them over the years on various bits and pieces.

i don;t know how much business they did, but would imagine a lot of people in dublin were familiar with them over the years. very sorry to see them go.
Advertisement
25-10-2012, 14:34   #2

I've used them a few times and ahd no issues with them.Sad to see another victim of this dam recession
25-10-2012, 14:42   #3
tricky D
NSAbot: Second Variety

Ah no. They were great to deal with and fairly local to me. Also having the odd chat with a very old friend of mine (Rosie) every now and again was a real pleasure as well as the odd discount.

Will be missed.
Thanks from:
25-10-2012, 16:27   #4
velocivaper

It's a shame to see another small local business gone.
They were just down the road from me, and first port of call for bits, always friendly and helpful.
Wish them all the best and sad to see them go.
25-10-2012, 21:35   #5
unkel
Category Moderator

That's a shame. I used to regularly pick up a few bits and pieces from them (a long time ago, maybe around '99-'02) and found them sound. Best place around Dublin city centre to pick things up at the time.

Back then their prices were reasonable enough too, compared with some ridiculous rip-off prices charged by places likes Peats, Maplins, etc.

I guess everybody buys everything online now...

In some more established markets (from the point of computer usage) like Germany and the Netherlands, the only bricks and mortar places still open that do well are the likes of MediaMarkt - giant bargain computer warehouses
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-11-2012, 21:20   #6
Bluechip

Very sorry to hear that, i used them since around 98-99 on and off. Got my current system there and they were always very good to deal with.
08-11-2012, 21:28   #7

I worked in Marx from 2007 until the end. They just couldn't compete with the online retailers so business started to decline over recent years. The repairs business helped keep things going but it wasn't enough. There was a severe decline in trade over the summer and it just didn't pick back up again after that.

I was lucky to get another job rather quickly but my colleagues weren't so lucky. Was a great place to work in and was with some good people too.
08-11-2012, 22:17   #8
Kevin Irving

Send a message via MSN to Kevin Irving
Sorry to hear that, I bought one or two things off them over the past 5 years and they were good to deal with.
09-11-2012, 09:11   #9
ninty

Very friendly and helpful staff, will be an asset to any company who are willing to take them on.
Advertisement
09-11-2012, 09:20   #10
DoctorEdgeWild

Very sad to hear that. They were my local place when I lived in Dublin and found them really helpful and just really good at what they did.
09-11-2012, 15:30   #11
bette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsini View Post
I worked in Marx from 2007 until the end. They just couldn't compete with the online retailers so business started to decline over recent years. The repairs business helped keep things going but it wasn't enough. There was a severe decline in trade over the summer and it just didn't pick back up again after that.

I was lucky to get another job rather quickly but my colleagues weren't so lucky. Was a great place to work in and was with some good people too.
That's a great shame but at least you were fixed up! What is Rosemary up to now?
09-11-2012, 15:45   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bette View Post
That's a great shame but at least you were fixed up! What is Rosemary up to now?
I met her last Tuesday. She's still out of work unfortunately.
09-11-2012, 15:53   #13
bette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsini View Post
I met her last Tuesday. She's still out of work unfortunately.
Ouch! Give her my best regards if you see her. I'm the guy with the phone manner...
Thanks from:
09-11-2012, 21:55   #14
HelpWithIT

I remember first going into their place when they were on the north Circular and I was only learning the trade...shame to see them go )-:
12-11-2012, 10:51   #15
acronym Chilli

Sad news

Quote:
Originally Posted by RepairMyPC View Post
I remember first going into their place when they were on the north Circular and I was only learning the trade...shame to see them go )-:
Me too.
Was always wanting to buy bits and pieces for my Linux machines. But back then Linux users struggled a lot with hardware compatibility worries. Even after tonnes of online research, I would still only be 80% sure it would work. Marx would always sell to me on condition I could return/swap it if compatibility didn't work out, which meant a lot to a poor student without the spare cash to buy duds. In the end, only ever had to do that once, and it wasn't even a linux issue (rather, an obscure interaction between a graphics card and a motherboard's on-board USB controller that froze machine every time: I swapped for a new graphics card).

Funnily enough, I bought again in Marx Computers for the first time in at least a year about 3/4 weeks ago. Was the type of purchase they were super handy for (USB wireless internet adapter, needed it for my dad's desktop). Went to website today to look for some other small bits, and saw it offline...

I guess in the end the business model just got overtaken. Even the comments in this thread seem to indicate people who moved their bigger hardware purchases online. I know that's what I did (in my defence, I also moved out of the country for a few years, but when I returned I stayed online for most things and only picked up occasional convenience pieces from MC).

Anyway, genuinely sorry to see a genuine, decent, hardworking and capable business go to the wall. When it opened, it was an important addition to the computing landscape in Ireland.

Karsini, very glad to hear you got something else quickly. Sorry to hear Rosemary is still looking for work, but it's very early days I guess. Pass on warm wishes if you see her in the next while.

(used to know each other to see, I moved to Switzerland and afterwards she told me about working in Gateway (another business crash) years back on German desk and the first time she had a Swiss German speaker on the line she thought it was a prank phone call)

Michael
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion