Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marx Computers - Gone?

• 25-10-2012 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

just checked marxcomputers.ie and the front page is down, called them up and got a recorded message saying theyed ceased trading.

sorry to see them go, always found them decent and friendly and usually the best place to pick up emergency parts in dublin.
    probably spent a good few hundred with them over the years on various bits and pieces.

i don;t know how much business they did, but would imagine a lot of people in dublin were familiar with them over the years. very sorry to see them go.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

I've used them a few times and ahd no issues with them.Sad to see another victim of this dam recession

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Ah no. They were great to deal with and fairly local to me. Also having the odd chat with a very old friend of mine (Rosie) every now and again was a real pleasure as well as the odd discount.

Will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 velocivaper

It's a shame to see another small local business gone.
    They were just down the road from me, and first port of call for bits, always friendly and helpful.
    Wish them all the best and sad to see them go.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's a shame. I used to regularly pick up a few bits and pieces from them (a long time ago, maybe around '99-'02) and found them sound. Best place around Dublin city centre to pick things up at the time.

Back then their prices were reasonable enough too, compared with some ridiculous rip-off prices charged by places likes Peats, Maplins, etc.

I guess everybody buys everything online now...

In some more established markets (from the point of computer usage) like Germany and the Netherlands, the only bricks and mortar places still open that do well are the likes of MediaMarkt - giant bargain computer warehouses

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bluechip

Very sorry to hear that, i used them since around 98-99 on and off. Got my current system there and they were always very good to deal with.

• Advertisement

I worked in Marx from 2007 until the end. They just couldn't compete with the online retailers so business started to decline over recent years. The repairs business helped keep things going but it wasn't enough. There was a severe decline in trade over the summer and it just didn't pick back up again after that.

I was lucky to get another job rather quickly but my colleagues weren't so lucky. Was a great place to work in and was with some good people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭kirving

Sorry to hear that, I bought one or two things off them over the past 5 years and they were good to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭ninty

Very friendly and helpful staff, will be an asset to any company who are willing to take them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Very sad to hear that. They were my local place when I lived in Dublin and found them really helpful and just really good at what they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Karsini wrote: »
    I worked in Marx from 2007 until the end. They just couldn't compete with the online retailers so business started to decline over recent years. The repairs business helped keep things going but it wasn't enough. There was a severe decline in trade over the summer and it just didn't pick back up again after that.

I was lucky to get another job rather quickly but my colleagues weren't so lucky. Was a great place to work in and was with some good people too.

That's a great shame but at least you were fixed up! What is Rosemary up to now?

• Advertisement

bette wrote: »
    That's a great shame but at least you were fixed up! What is Rosemary up to now?

I met her last Tuesday. She's still out of work unfortunately. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Ouch! Give her my best regards if you see her. I'm the guy with the phone manner...

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

I remember first going into their place when they were on the north Circular and I was only learning the trade...shame to see them go )-:

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

RepairMyPC wrote: »
    I remember first going into their place when they were on the north Circular and I was only learning the trade...shame to see them go )-:

Me too.
    Was always wanting to buy bits and pieces for my Linux machines. But back then Linux users struggled a lot with hardware compatibility worries. Even after tonnes of online research, I would still only be 80% sure it would work. Marx would always sell to me on condition I could return/swap it if compatibility didn't work out, which meant a lot to a poor student without the spare cash to buy duds. In the end, only ever had to do that once, and it wasn't even a linux issue (rather, an obscure interaction between a graphics card and a motherboard's on-board USB controller that froze machine every time: I swapped for a new graphics card).

Funnily enough, I bought again in Marx Computers for the first time in at least a year about 3/4 weeks ago. Was the type of purchase they were super handy for (USB wireless internet adapter, needed it for my dad's desktop). Went to website today to look for some other small bits, and saw it offline... :(

I guess in the end the business model just got overtaken. Even the comments in this thread seem to indicate people who moved their bigger hardware purchases online. I know that's what I did (in my defence, I also moved out of the country for a few years, but when I returned I stayed online for most things and only picked up occasional convenience pieces from MC).

Anyway, genuinely sorry to see a genuine, decent, hardworking and capable business go to the wall. When it opened, it was an important addition to the computing landscape in Ireland.

Karsini, very glad to hear you got something else quickly. Sorry to hear Rosemary is still looking for work, but it's very early days I guess. Pass on warm wishes if you see her in the next while.

(used to know each other to see, I moved to Switzerland and afterwards she told me about working in Gateway (another business crash) years back on German desk and the first time she had a Swiss German speaker on the line she thought it was a prank phone call)

Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You might give her my best wishes too. Ye were always a port of call for advice and bits...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tontoirl

Damn!

Very friendly and helpful buncha people. Sorry to see them gone :(

Give my best to Rosemary & Stephen

Tony M

tontoirl wrote: »
    Damn!

Very friendly and helpful buncha people. Sorry to see them gone :(

Give my best to Rosemary & Stephen

Tony M

That would be me. Thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nollaigeire

V sad to see this company gone....bought 2 PC's here and many many other parts over the last 10 years...Rosemary was always a joy to deal with....will miss them and the support the offered....were always on hand to help...good luck to all and i hope they can reopen this store....

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

Very sad to hear this, have been going there on and off since 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Sysiphus

Hi,

Really sad to see Marx gone. My current pc is a custom from them. Used to pop in to by drives (great prices!) and the odd bit of networking gear. Rosie was always helpful and friendly. Hope she lands on her feet. Like a lot of others, I've been going there since they we on the Circular....

Ronán.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭bambooman2

Really sorry to see Marx go. I have supported them for a number of years now - I hope all of them bounce back soon. This recession is absolutely appalling - many great little companies gone. I am thinking of rounding up a possie to hang that idiot Bertie Ahern on the nearest lamppost. Is anybody else with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Sorry to see them go too. The few bits and pieces I needed I got there, as I didn't have huge knowledge to buy online, I always trusted their advice and know Rosemary from DCU many years ago now (!). Best of luck to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

I was planning on calling in to Marx this morning to pick up some bits and checked their website, only to find it was down. I googled them to get the phone number so I could let them know -- only to find this thread :-(

Really sorry to see them go, they were always very decent to deal with, knowledgeable, and also dead handy being only a couple of miles away.

Hope Rosie gets sorted out with something new soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 maphius

I've had the same experience. Loved the shop, local, and great advice and support. Went looking for them today to find them down. Very sorry to see them go! I hope the crew find themselves good homes with other businesses and soon. Best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Tenshot wrote: »
    I was planning on calling in to Marx this morning to pick up some bits and checked their website, only to find it was down. I googled them to get the phone number so I could let them know -- only to find this thread :-(

Same here, just wanted to check the opening hours for tomorrow for some emergency kit replacement.
    Sorry to hear they're gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭darklordsbane

Ah that's very sad news, brilliant little shop, sometimes a little dearer than the competition but very friendly helpful advice and would point you to the right place if they couldn't get it for you,
    glad to hear your doing ok Stephen sorry to hear Rosemary isn't but she is a smart girl and very pretty too so i'm sure she will land on her feet,
    hope Ryan is ok also

you will be badly missed, all the best and thank you for a wonderful service it was always a pleasure
    Regards
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

That would be me. Thank you. :)

I feel really sad to hear the news. Like other posters have pointed out, Marx was a great local business with very friendly and helpful staff. Stephen, you saved my bacon when I had a college assignment due and my laptop crashed. You managed to save it all, replace the hard drive and got it back to me in time to finish my essay. Seriously appreciated it as you were busy at the time. I knew the Marx phone number off by heart because I passed it on to so many people, obviously not enough :(
    So glad you got a job sorted and I wish the best of luck to you and all the rest o the crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭guano_jim

i happily crossed town from stillorgan to shop @ marx.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭darklordsbane

Hi All
    sorry to ask this on this post but I'm sure others would like to know as well
    can anyone recommend a real shop that you can walk into like Marx used to be for computer & internet stuff
    Regards
    D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

They're not great, but Maplin's on Jervis St.
    There used to be a place on Parliament St a few years ago, don't know if it's still there though. ACtually, looks like they are.
    There's a place called Beyond 2000 beside Mao on Chatham Row. Only thing I ever bought there was software about 12 years ago, so not sure what they sell.
    Peats, maybe.
    Or if you're really stuck, PC World.

Advertisement