Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Who Will Win The Leinster Schools Senior Cup 2013?
Clongowes Wood 28 8.51%
St Michael's College 47 14.29%
Blackrock College 50 15.20%
Belvedere College 19 5.78%
Terenure College 71 21.58%
St Mary's College 15 4.56%
Castleknock College 9 2.74%
Other 90 27.36%
Voters: 329. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
18-10-2012, 21:01   #226
ormond lad
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldboy 92 View Post
Does that mean he is ineligible to play schools cup, I assume 20s is deemed adult rugby and Connacht A definitely is! Can anyone throw some light on this, has it happened before?
Dont think he is inelgible to play schools cup as i dont see how he has been ruled out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by its_phil View Post
But 20's is underage rugby??

Robbie Henshaw played Connacht 20s last year and played for Marist so that is not a problem.
20s is age grade rugby
Im fairly sure u18s/19s have to get permission from their provincial branch to play 20s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint2010 View Post
Never write off Clongowes. They may not have the stellar names of the past 3 seasons but they are always exceptionally well trained and never let their school down when it comes to cup time.
I wouldnt write them off either.
I know this goes without saying but all the schools are exceptionally well trained and never let their school down.
ormond lad is offline  
Advertisement
18-10-2012, 21:24   #227
Oldboy 92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dublin
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by its_phil View Post
But 20's is underage rugby??

Robbie Henshaw played Connacht 20s last year and played for Marist so that is not a problem.
Age grade is u19 down as far as I know so it may vary from province to province, but if that player played an A game for Connacht it was an adult fixture.
Oldboy 92 is offline  
18-10-2012, 21:39   #228
ormond lad
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldboy 92 View Post
Age grade is u19 down as far as I know so it may vary from province to province, but if that player played an A game for Connacht it was an adult fixture.
20s is age grade rugby and 21s is age grade but they do not come under the categories of youths/schools rugby

The draws for the Leinster Schools Duff and McMullen Cup competitions took place in the Leinster Rugby office in UCD on Thursday afternoon...
http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/newsroom/10504.php

Duff and McMullen Cups are the cups for the section A schools
ormond lad is offline  
18-10-2012, 22:42   #229
Leinster5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rathgar
Posts: 298
[QUOTE=Quint2010;81300376]Terenure have Schmidt, Brewer, Dardis, Madigan (all Leinster u18 players-Madigan from 2011) O'Neill and Clarkin(injured last year-both Leinster U19 players) plus Tom O'Brien and Conor Weakliam all back from last year. I haven't seen 'Michaels backline but would have to be a very good one to come anywhere near Terenure's one. By the sounds of things 'Michaels have a very strong pack and this is where Terenure may struggle if they face them in the cup.

Well surely Byrne for Michaels is the best 10 in the competition, was a class act last year for Michaels. Along with McCarthy and Leavy. They also have Kelleher who is almost a certainty for Academy next year. Terenure do have a very impressive back-line, but from what I've been told, Michaels are just as strong in the back-line and are supposedly much stronger in the pack.
Leinster5 is offline  
18-10-2012, 23:28   #230
6dsp9
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 66
[QUOTE=Leinster5;81317602]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint2010 View Post
Terenure have Schmidt, Brewer, Dardis, Madigan (all Leinster u18 players-Madigan from 2011) O'Neill and Clarkin(injured last year-both Leinster U19 players) plus Tom O'Brien and Conor Weakliam all back from last year. I haven't seen 'Michaels backline but would have to be a very good one to come anywhere near Terenure's one. By the sounds of things 'Michaels have a very strong pack and this is where Terenure may struggle if they face them in the cup.

Well surely Byrne for Michaels is the best 10 in the competition, was a class act last year for Michaels. Along with McCarthy and Leavy. They also have Kelleher who is almost a certainty for Academy next year. Terenure do have a very impressive back-line, but from what I've been told, Michaels are just as strong in the back-line and are supposedly much stronger in the pack.

I wouldn't be too quick to say that Byrne is the best 10 going,I'd an eye each on him and McKeon from Gonzaga
6dsp9 is offline  
Advertisement
19-10-2012, 10:28   #231
Quint2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leinster5 View Post
Well surely Byrne for Michaels is the best 10 in the competition, was a class act last year for Michaels. Along with McCarthy and Leavy. They also have Kelleher who is almost a certainty for Academy next year. Terenure do have a very impressive back-line, but from what I've been told, Michaels are just as strong in the back-line and are supposedly much stronger in the pack.
OK 'Michaels have a much better pack and a better backline then Terenure. I just hope 'Michaels have the same mindset as when they played Terenure in the 2010 Junior Cup Final.

Last edited by Quint2010; 19-10-2012 at 10:33.
Quint2010 is offline  
19-10-2012, 18:23   #232
6dsp9
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint2010 View Post
OK 'Michaels have a much better pack and a better backline then Terenure. I just hope 'Michaels have the same mindset as when they played Terenure in the 2010 Junior Cup Final.
snap
6dsp9 is offline  
19-10-2012, 19:36   #233
gfitz95
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 93
Well surely Byrne for Michaels is the best 10 in the competition, was a class act last year for Michaels. Along with McCarthy and Leavy. They also have Kelleher who is almost a certainty for Academy next year. Terenure do have a very impressive back-line, but from what I've been told, Michaels are just as strong in the back-line and are supposedly much stronger in the pack.[/QUOTE]

Leavy is actually a player who has gone under the radar but is an exceptional talent,plays in the outside backs,brings the same aggression levels as his brother aswell,not quite as big as Dan but no squirt either
gfitz95 is offline  
19-10-2012, 19:42   #234
6dsp9
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfitz95 View Post
Well surely Byrne for Michaels is the best 10 in the competition, was a class act last year for Michaels. Along with McCarthy and Leavy. They also have Kelleher who is almost a certainty for Academy next year. Terenure do have a very impressive back-line, but from what I've been told, Michaels are just as strong in the back-line and are supposedly much stronger in the pack.
Leavy is actually a player who has gone under the radar but is an exceptional talent,plays in the outside backs,brings the same aggression levels as his brother aswell,not quite as big as Dan but no squirt either[/QUOTE]


he was injured for the interpros I'm pretty sure,other than that Id say he would've started? Yeah he's a unit all right
6dsp9 is offline  
Advertisement
19-10-2012, 19:52   #235
gfitz95
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 93
he was injured for the interpros I'm pretty sure,other than that Id say he would've started? Yeah he's a unit all right[/QUOTE]

not sure of his Leinster involvement but he started for Michaels on the wing last year for the first 3 rounds of the cup
gfitz95 is offline  
19-10-2012, 20:36   #236
Leinster5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rathgar
Posts: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint2010 View Post
OK 'Michaels have a much better pack and a better backline then Terenure. I just hope 'Michaels have the same mindset as when they played Terenure in the 2010 Junior Cup Final.
I can't believe people still think Junior Cup rugby gives a good indication of Senior level. It's a bunch of 14/15 year old's running around. It's a completely different standard at Senior level, you get ex-pro's coaching most of the 'big' schools. I'm not an expert on this years competition, but I know enough to know that Junior Cup results mean very little 3 years later.
Leinster5 is offline  
20-10-2012, 11:16   #237
Quint2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leinster5 View Post
I can't believe people still think Junior Cup rugby gives a good indication of Senior level. It's a bunch of 14/15 year old's running around. It's a completely different standard at Senior level, you get ex-pro's coaching most of the 'big' schools. I'm not an expert on this years competition, but I know enough to know that Junior Cup results mean very little 3 years later.
Well I think it was hugely relevant to last years final the fact that 'Michaels had beaten Clongowes in the Junior Cup in 2009.
Quint2010 is offline  
20-10-2012, 11:56   #238
TheKeenMachine
Registered User
 
TheKeenMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint2010 View Post
Well I think it was hugely relevant to last years final the fact that 'Michaels had beaten Clongowes in the Junior Cup in 2009.
Really? I thought Michaels lost four finals on the bounce.
TheKeenMachine is offline  
20-10-2012, 12:00   #239
Oldboy 92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dublin
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint2010 View Post
Well I think it was hugely relevant to last years final the fact that 'Michaels had beaten Clongowes in the Junior Cup in 2009.
And Clongowes won JCT in 2008 and SCT in 2011. Terenure won JCT 2009 and only beaten by 1 pt in SF last year!!! No devine right to win JCT and then SCT 3 years later but it is reasonable to say they will be contenders when SCT. The change of eligibility for 4th years will undoubtably make JCT in bigger schools stronger, but 3 years later the prsummed better players will have left school.
Oldboy 92 is offline  
20-10-2012, 12:15   #240
Hagz
Registered User
 
Hagz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,579
I remember my year won the JCT and when the SCT rolled around the team looked completely different. But it might be different in schools with a smaller year group.
Hagz is offline  
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search