Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-08-2012, 21:56   #1
Judgement Day

Battle of Vinegar Hill Reenactment

The cynic in me has been quietened for a while and by all accounts the 1st Battle of Vinegar Hill Reenactment was a great success. In all fairness it could have been better titled "The Skirmish of Vinegar Hill" given that one reenacter represented about 1,000 participants that were present on the 21st June, 1798. That said, it was a great first attempt and from little acorns... The site lends itself to a really big reenactment - perhaps even an annual one? Perhaps then attention could be given to persuading Steven Spielberg to come back to Ireland and make that epic 1798 movie that he once mooted? Something really beneficial could be done for the town and surrounding area provided the project is handled with care. In the meantime here are some pics by 'she who must still be obeyed' enjoy.

Father Murphy or is it Bishop Casey?

Last edited by Judgement Day; 05-08-2012 at 22:02.
Advertisement
05-08-2012, 22:01   #2
zerks

From the angle of the photo's JD, you must have been standing near me.Well done to all involved today.Not even the rain seemed to dampen people's spirits.

I have imagined a '98 movie several times,would make a great blockbuster.
05-08-2012, 22:03   #3
Tzar Chasm

That IS Fr Murphy

As in he's a priest nam ed murphy

Great day out was had by all, I would be in favour of making it an annual thing but in july around the aniversary
05-08-2012, 22:04   #4
Tzar Chasm

Any more closeups of the pikemen?
05-08-2012, 22:17   #5
Judgement Day

This is the only other shot.

(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
05-08-2012, 22:35   #6
Tzar Chasm

Ah ell i'm not in that one either, I had the steel pike and brown hat
05-08-2012, 22:38   #7
byhookorbycrook

What a pity this wasdn't widely advertised. I wonder were all the 1998 pike groups contacted?Would have swolllen the numbers.
05-08-2012, 22:54   #8
Tzar Chasm

No, it was a bit of a clusterfcuk as far as orgsnisation went, they had the redcoats and the cavalry reasonably sorted but it seemed like a case of just see who shows up as far as the pikemen went, I was talking to bill Murray on Saturday and he said that the pikemen organization hadn't been officially approached so it was only a few of us who were willing to change our plans at short notice.
I only found out about it myself on thursdsy, I had planned to go to the jousting

Still tho let's hope that interest grows and next year we'll be able to muster a decent show
(2) thanks from:
05-08-2012, 23:01   #9
zerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar Chasm View Post
No, it was a bit of a clusterfcuk as far as orgsnisation went, they had the redcoats and the cavalry reasonably sorted but it seemed like a case of just see who shows up as far as the pikemen went, I was talking to bill Murray on Saturday and he said that the pikemen organization hadn't been officially approached so it was only a few of us who were willing to change our plans at short notice.
I only found out about it myself on thursdsy, I had planned to go to the jousting

Still tho let's hope that interest grows and next year we'll be able to muster a decent show
Noticed that myself,many faces missing that would have been there in a heartbeat.
Facebook is a great tool,plus these newfangled things called phones are useful for contacting people.

Looks like just the Enniscorthy Pikemen were contacted & they told a few contacts,that's the organisers job.

However on the positive side,it was a good spectacle & can get bigger & better.
Advertisement
05-08-2012, 23:02   #10
byhookorbycrook

I'd say most of the pike groups would only be mad for another outing!!2018 is a long way away.
06-08-2012, 11:48   #11
FRIENDO

A great day, pity about the rain.
Well done to all and I found it emotional to hear the singing of Boolavogue by the Pike men and woman at the end.

Thanks to all
(2) thanks from:
06-08-2012, 12:25   #12
vicwatson

If they can do it in Massachusetts they can do it in Enniscorthy I say -

http://www.bostoncentral.com/events/...attle/p901.php
06-08-2012, 12:27   #13
Tzar Chasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRIENDO View Post
A great day, pity about the rain.
Well done to all and I found it emotional to hear the singing of Boolavogue by the Pike men and woman at the end.

Thanks to all
ah the rain wasnt that bad, at least it got people to stay in ranks for a bit of shelter
the boolavouge thing at the end was fairly much a spur of the moment thing, glad people enjoyed it, it kinda started organicly and I have to say it felt right as we were doing it.
Thanks from:
06-08-2012, 13:30   #14
Navarre

Mod: Wexford
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicwatson View Post
If they can do it in Massachusetts they can do it in Enniscorthy I say -

http://www.bostoncentral.com/events/...attle/p901.php
Hopefully it will grow from strength to strength. The turn out in the market square was poor as the Red Coats and Pikemen marched past. Maybe next year it will be better prepared. All in all it was a brilliant event and much needed.
(2) thanks from:
06-08-2012, 18:12   #15
vicwatson

Only place I heard about it was on boards. Hopefully it builds and it gets better advertised next year
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion