Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Internal job while on maternity leave

• 17-07-2012 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭

I have a friend who has been employed in the same company for the past 6\7 years and who is currently on maternity leave. She recently heard that the the job of her direct line manager became vacant and that a fellow employee got the job.

Should she have been informed by HR that the position on her team became available? I mean how would she have known about this position otherwise? Is it just her bad luck or should her not being in the office been taken into account and some heads-up been given?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

so she's defo riding then

good to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

thats what you get for breeding...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Did she get an e-mail to her work account from HR? If so they informed her. Just because she's on maternity leave doesn't mean she can't check her mail from time to time. Tough cheese I say

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Her bad luck tbh.

If she was that uninterested in what was going on that she didn't realise her direct manager was leaving, she was hardly going to get the job anyway, was she.

People on maternity leave still keep in touch with office goings-on to the best of my knowledge.

Anyway, short answer no. Her company doesn't have to tell her when someone is leaving and doesn't have to consider her for promotion. They don't even have to hold interviews, they can just promote someone.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

They want all the parking spaces and all the promotions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

she should have used a contraceptive device

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

If it was advertised internally she still would have been on the mailing list. Maternity Leave is protected leave but prior to leaving it would have been discussed if she wanted to be kept informed re vacancies or changes whilst she is out.

Also, she would have had the right to apply. She can lodge a grievance through the internal grievance proceedure however, if the company can demonstrate that it has been communicated then she really doesn't have any foundation for a grievance. Im surprised that one of her team wasn't in touch with her when her manager announced he was leaving or the position became vacant...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

7 replies and 3 decent answers....thats what I get for posting in After Hours I guess...:rolleyes:

You can close this thread Mods

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Sarah** wrote: »
    If it was advertised internally she still would have been on the mailing list. Maternity Leave is protected leave but prior to leaving it would have been discussed if she wanted to be kept informed re vacancies or changes whilst she is out.

Also, she would have had the right to apply. She can lodge a grievance through the internal grievance proceedure however, if the company can demonstrate that it has been communicated then she really doesn't have any foundation for a grievance. Im surprised that one of her team wasn't in touch with her when her manager announced he was leaving or the position became vacant...

There was no communication with her by the company - she heard through one of her collegues after the fact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

7 replies and 3 decent answers....thats what I get for posting in After Hours I guess...:rolleyes:

You can close this thread Mods

You're Welcome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

It's good practice to keep in regular informal contact with people on maternity leave, availing them of opportunities to attend social functions etc but without obligating them to. It can be a tough line to get right; why did none of her colleagues let her know? Is there an underlying reason?

If the managers thought she was worth the wait, then they would have held the position for her. Giving a standard promotion to someone while on maternity leave would just be risky business practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It'd have to be an internal job for her to be out on maternity leave wouldn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

I have a friend who has been employed in the same company for the past 6\7 years and who is currently on maternity leave. She recently heard that the the job of her direct line manager became vacant and that a fellow employee got the job.

Should she have been informed by HR that the position on her team became available? I mean how would she have known about this position otherwise? Is it just her bad luck or should her not being in the office been taken into account and some heads-up been given?

Yes she should have been informed, if on maternity leave you still have to be kept up to date with changes ect as you would be while there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Is her boss the father of the child?

Marcusm wrote: »
    It's good practice to keep in regular informal contact with people on maternity leave, availing them of opportunities to attend social functions etc but without obligating them to. It can be a tough line to get right; why did none of her colleagues let her know? Is there an underlying reason?

It's up to Management to keep workers informed ...very bad practice on their part.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

tan11ie wrote: »
    It's up to Management to keep workers informed ...very bad practice on their part.

Why?

If one wants promotion, one has to also chase it, work for it - just not expect it to turn up at your door!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

tan11ie wrote: »

In my previous job, vacancies were posted on the internet and bulletin boards. Management didn't email out every position to everyone in the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

She did not deserve that and that is not on tbh.
    Women are gonna have babies, they've been having babies long before the concept of 'jobs' and 'work' were ever created.
    Work places gonna have to deal with it, not the other way round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Women are gonna have babies, they've been having babies long before the concept of 'jobs' and 'work' were ever created.
    What band wagon are you trying to jump on?

She didn't deserve what, the promotion?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

She did not deserve what? If the company followed a standard policy for internal job postings (presumably internal notice board / email) then they've covered the bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

I don't think they did anything wrong. I took a few months of paternity leave for both my kids and I would have had no problem if I had missed out on a promotion because I was physically not there.

I appreciate that businesses have to make allowances for people having kids, which I feel they did by letting me take several months off. They don't have an obligation to put everything on hold until I get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

To be fair, I think the OP should chat to her friend and find out the policies and procedures. There is no way for us all to comment apart from general HR Advice which is that regardless of whether she was there or on Maternity Leave the communication should have been sent to give her the equal opportunity to apply. However, perhaps she requested for no communication during the time she was off. There may have been previous stress issues here which is why the company didnt make contact. If she has an issue regarding the process then she should raise it through the internal grievance proceedure on her return or give the HR Team a call and enquire as to what happened... perhaps the person has been appointed short term pre a restructure... who knows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

OP, would she have ended her maternity leave early to take up the position had she interviewed for it and gotten the role?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I work for a multinational. Every friday a mail goes out that has a brief summary of the jobs available. A full list is available on the internal website. If I go on holidays or sabbatical, I certainly don't expect them to send me an internal mail to my external email address. If I had to, I can log into a webmail feature to see mail.

She's probably the same. There's probably loads of positions (inside her dept and outside in other departments along with ones that are pay grades higher and lower) Does she expect to be called/mailed every time any position comes up?

I think she's expecting too much.

Biggins wrote: »
    Why?

If one wants promotion, one has to also chase it, work for it - just not expect it to turn up at your door!

Yes and how the hell can you do that if you haven't been informed of the position ect...?? all I know is that by law a woman on maternity leave has to be treated the same as if she was still on the company premises.That in turn means she has to be kept up to date with any changes ect...going on within the company. All companies know all this, sure who wants to land in the Equality Tribunal due to lazy Management.

Grant it the job position probably wasn't suited to the girl and they may have needed the position filled Asap...but still she needs to updated, who knows it could have been the job she was waiting on.

Advertisement