Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
27-06-2012, 12:49   #316
Lemlin
Registered User
 
Lemlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Republic of Telly
Posts: 14,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK-KNIGHT View Post
Donegal are no doubt a fine side with some great players but tbh I think Kildare would beat them in a close game I imagine..

To be fair ulster is generally one of the tougher provinces but is it as strong as it has been over last ten years or so?
But can I ask what is your basis for your assertion that Kildare would beat them? I've given multiple reasons above as to why I feel Donegal would so your response is rather sparse to be honest.

No, it isn't as strong. Tyrone and Armagh have both gone backwards. However, Ulster was the only province with 3 teams in Division 1 of the league this year. That was followed with three in Division 2. So 66% of the teams in Ulster are in the upper echelons of the Football League. I don't think too many other provinces can say that.
Lemlin is offline  
Advertisement
27-06-2012, 12:49   #317
klairondavis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemlin View Post
Many thanks for the reply because its exactly what I was looking for. I've heard this argument a number of times mentioned on the Sunday Game and other shows by pundits in relation to KIldare and their debt. I was not aware of the development of the Hawkfield complex. One question I would still have is why wasn't this money put into an actual stadium? Hawkfield is a development complex from what I see.

Kildare's best pitch is Newbridge and I really think that playing a huge amount of games in Croke Park, particularly in the past, has been to the detriment of other provincial pitches in Leinster. The fact that plans are afoot to replace Parnell Park with another pitch in Dublin has to be annoying for other counties. I know when Meath people came down to Breffni Park last year they couldn't believe that their county ground was Pairc Tailteann.
There were plans for a new stadium on the outskirts of Newbridge but that was to be funded by the sale of St Conleth's Park for development. That obviously hit the rocks with the property crash in 2007/2008. Newbridge is a complete dump but it still serves it's purpose for league and club games. Most Leinster Championship games take place either in Portlaoise or Croke Park so pumping millions we don't have into a redeveloped or new stadium that would only be filled possibly only once or twice a year would be quite an unwise move. It's debatable whether St Conleth's could be redeveloped anyway because of the space constraints with it being smack bang in the middle of the town.

Hawkfield on the other hand is a fabulous asset that benefits all Kildare inter-county teams. It would have been great had both projects been completed but the county board clearly made the right choice.
klairondavis is offline  
27-06-2012, 12:55   #318
klairondavis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,248
Also the Leinster Council and Croke Park seem determined to build another 30,000ish ground on the outskirts of Dublin in the medium term. As a result, it is highly unlikely that Kildare or Meath would get much, if any, financial assistance to redevelop their own stadia. There was speculation a few months ago that any new stadium around the M50 would serve as a home ground for Kildare, Meath, Wicklow and Louth!
klairondavis is offline  
27-06-2012, 13:04   #319
keane2097
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 11,815
Which player's nickname is Chalky?
keane2097 is offline  
27-06-2012, 13:04   #320
klairondavis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemlin View Post
But can I ask what is your basis for your assertion that Kildare would beat them? I've given multiple reasons above as to why I feel Donegal would so your response is rather sparse to be honest.

No, it isn't as strong. Tyrone and Armagh have both gone backwards. However, Ulster was the only province with 3 teams in Division 1 of the league this year. That was followed with three in Division 2. So 66% of the teams in Ulster are in the upper echelons of the Football League. I don't think too many other provinces can say that.
There was nothing between Kildare and Donegal last year. We played them in both league and championship and both games finished in a draw after 70 mins. I've no doubt that Donegal have progressed since last year but they have lost a super footballer in Kevin Cassidy while Kildare have welcomed back two former All Stars in Peter Kelly and Dermot Earley along with Mikey Conway who is now finally back to full fitness after three years. If they were to meet again tomorrow I doubt the bookies would be offering anymore than a 1 point handicap to either team.

From a Kildare point of view the 1/4 final last year still stings. Leaving aside Tomás's goal legitimate goal that was ruled out which would have left Donegal with a mountain to climb, I think the fact that it was Kildare's fourth game in successive weeks that ultimately told in the end. Kildare were running on fumes in extra time whereas Donegal were fresher and had a little bit left in the tank. Obviously Kildare have only ourselves to blame for ending up having to go the backdoor route but I don't think we have any reason to fear Donegal were we to meet them later this year.
klairondavis is offline  
Advertisement
27-06-2012, 13:04   #321
klairondavis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by keane2097 View Post
Which player's nickname is Chalky?
Gary White
klairondavis is offline  
Thanks from:
27-06-2012, 14:03   #322
Lemlin
Registered User
 
Lemlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Republic of Telly
Posts: 14,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by klairondavis View Post
There was nothing between Kildare and Donegal last year. We played them in both league and championship and both games finished in a draw after 70 mins. I've no doubt that Donegal have progressed since last year but they have lost a super footballer in Kevin Cassidy while Kildare have welcomed back two former All Stars in Peter Kelly and Dermot Earley along with Mikey Conway who is now finally back to full fitness after three years. If they were to meet again tomorrow I doubt the bookies would be offering anymore than a 1 point handicap to either team.

From a Kildare point of view the 1/4 final last year still stings. Leaving aside Tomás's goal legitimate goal that was ruled out which would have left Donegal with a mountain to climb, I think the fact that it was Kildare's fourth game in successive weeks that ultimately told in the end. Kildare were running on fumes in extra time whereas Donegal were fresher and had a little bit left in the tank. Obviously Kildare have only ourselves to blame for ending up having to go the backdoor route but I don't think we have any reason to fear Donegal were we to meet them later this year.
Many thanks for the educated response but I was pushing Dark-Knight because he generally tends to give the opposite

I'd agree totally. There is very little between the two sides but, as per the reasons given above, I'd fancy Donegal to shade it.

It could go either way though as you say.
Lemlin is offline  
27-06-2012, 14:15   #323
keane2097
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin
Posts: 11,815
Kildare's panel this year is amazing. On top of a very good team they've named for this weekend they've got Daryl Flynn, Hugh Lynch, Dermot Earley, Leper, Alan Smith, Gary White, Ronan Sweeney and even potentially Sean Johnston.

From last year's team, that let's not forget were very hard done by referee-wise at vital stages, they're able to bring back Peter Kelly who is an amazing defender along with adding back in Hugh Lynch thus freeing John Doyle into a forward line that was at times leaderless. Mikey Conway is looking like a real re-emerging talent for them and Padraig O'Neill has improved a fair bit as well.

Donegal also seem to have improved although their performances in the league make me cautious of saying by exactly how much, but their panel remains fairly limited outside a great first fifteen and they've lost a defender as good as Kildare have gained by having Kelly back in Kevin Cassidy.

Kildare were the better team in the QF last year for much of the game, and with what's looking like a much stronger panel this year I think they're still stronger than a Donegal team that has also improved.
keane2097 is offline  
27-06-2012, 14:18   #324
DARK-KNIGHT
Registered User
 
DARK-KNIGHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CILL DARA
Posts: 6,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemlin View Post
Many thanks for the educated response but I was pushing Dark-Knight because he generally tends to give the opposite

I'd agree totally. There is very little between the two sides but, as per the reasons given above, I'd fancy Donegal to shade it.

It could go either way though as you say.
You have some cheek trying to insult me like this!!!

Your so full of **** lemlin every year to pick a county to try wind up its normally Dublin from years past and now u choose Kildare why don't you crawl back under your bridge you twoll oops sorry troll

Also the reason I generally don't elaborate here is I use an iPhone not a pc or laptop and I find it a pain in the ass to type on it but sure you coming from CIIAAAVAAAN must be über intelligent eh??

Last edited by DARK-KNIGHT; 27-06-2012 at 14:22.
DARK-KNIGHT is offline  
Advertisement
27-06-2012, 15:28   #325
lilywhites28
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 68
Good article and good points made by Darragh O' Se in relation to Seanie Johnston.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...318804363.html
lilywhites28 is offline  
(4) thanks from:
27-06-2012, 16:02   #326
DoctaDee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NCD
Posts: 3,631
Just on a related note .. the end piece regarding the standard of refereeing was also interesting. I find matches refereed by both Marty & Michael quite frustrating to watch .. to put it mildly ..

Last edited by DoctaDee; 27-06-2012 at 16:04.
DoctaDee is offline  
27-06-2012, 16:08   #327
celt262
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 825
Double post from my iphone

Last edited by celt262; 27-06-2012 at 16:09. Reason: Double post
celt262 is offline  
27-06-2012, 16:09   #328
celt262
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK-KNIGHT View Post


Also the reason I generally don't elaborate here is I use an iPhone not a pc or laptop and I find it a pain in the ass to type on it but sure you coming from CIIAAAVAAAN must be über intelligent eh??
How is any of that relevant to the thread?
celt262 is offline  
Thanks from:
27-06-2012, 16:22   #329
StupidLikeAFox
Registered User
 
StupidLikeAFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere witty, like everyone elses location
Posts: 4,153
Send a message via AIM to StupidLikeAFox Send a message via MSN to StupidLikeAFox
Team to play against meath has been announced. Would worry about midfield -

1. Shane Connolly St. Laurence’s



2. Hugh McGrillen Celbridge

3. Michael Foley Athy

4. Peter Kelly Two Mile House



5. Eoin Doyle Naas

6. Morgan O’Flaherty Carbury

7. Ollie Lyons Celbridge



8. Emmet Bolton Eadestown

9. Robert Kelly Straffan



10. James Kavanagh Ballymore

11. Mikey Conway Nurney

12. Padraig O’Neill St. Laurence’s



13. John Doyle Allenwood

14. Tomás O’Connor Clane

15. Eoghan O’Flaherty Carbury
StupidLikeAFox is offline  
27-06-2012, 16:34   #330
Hammer Archer
 
Hammer Archer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Meath/UCD
Posts: 4,274
Mod: GAA
Quote:
Originally Posted by klairondavis View Post
Also the Leinster Council and Croke Park seem determined to build another 30,000ish ground on the outskirts of Dublin in the medium term. As a result, it is highly unlikely that Kildare or Meath would get much, if any, financial assistance to redevelop their own stadia. There was speculation a few months ago that any new stadium around the M50 would serve as a home ground for Kildare, Meath, Wicklow and Louth!
I think this plan is one of the reasons that the GAA has cut the maximum attendance of both St. Conleth's and Páirc Tailteann. Amazingly, PT's official capacity is only 10000 now, despite 20000 easily fitting into it in the Meath - Kildare game last year and it's capacity being 30000 at the start of 2011. Apparently the grass banks at both ends are too dangerous and have been closed off this year Meanwhile, Walsh Park in Waterford has grass banks surrounding three sides of the pitch which were fully open to the public this year in the NHL.
Hammer Archer is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet