Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-06-2012, 04:13   #1
Allyall

Mele A1000 TV box - Allwinner A10 hackable device €68 + €72

I have seen this over and over again when looking at the Android driven PC's..
And for the first time, i looked it up on Boards tonight, and realised this isn't posted anywhere (By using search function) on boards.ie..

A bit shocked, as i think this is one of the best TV boxes available, especially for this price.

LINK

The links in the description get you started, Definitely based on the Raspberry Pi.

Quote:
Of course, the Mele A1000 costs twice what the newly shipped Raspberry Pi Model B does.
Still, with that extra money you get a case along with a faster processor--the Raspberry Pi sports an ARM1176JZFS running at 700MHz--

More RAM, and more audio and video connection possibilities.
LINK IN DESCRIPTION

and

Ubuntu 10.04 Running on Mele A1000 Internet TV Set Top Box

Quote:
The box SPEC.

1. Video output - HDMI, CVBS, VGA .
2. Audio output - R+L, SPDIF
3. Usb host port + SDCard slot.
4. External SATA port (real SATA not from usb)
5. Ethernet.

Internal board has
1. UART port connector.
2. USB device port connector
3. MIC pin
4. CVBS-IN pin.

--------------------------------------------
Maybe you also need the all-in-one "air mouse + wireless mouse and keyboard + remote".
http: //goo.gl/SPbjv

or the debug board
http: //goo.gl/ge3GY
---------------------------------------------
LINK From that quote

It also has an "Older Brother" - The Mele A2000 for €72

and

http://www.cnx-software.com/

Quote:
CPU: ARM Cortex A8 AllWinner A10 @ 1 GHz (It can be apparently be overclocked up to @ 1.5GHz)
GPU: Mali 4000
Memory: DDR3 512MB RAM / 4GB Nand Flash
OS System: Android 2.3.4 (Upgradable to Android 4.0)
External Storage: Supports SD card up to 32GB, supports 2.5″ SATA HDD up to 1TB, Supports max 16GB USB flash disk
Video codecs: HD MPEG-1/2/4. H.264. HD AVC/VC-1, RM/RMVB, Xvid/DviX 4/5/6, RealVideo 8/9/10, VP6
Video Formats: ts, m2ts, tp, trp, mkv, mp4, mov, avi, rm/rmvb, wmv, vob, asf, flv, dat, mpf and mpeg. NB: ISO format is not supported.
Maximum bitrate: 40Mpbs, maximum resolution 2160p (3840×2160)
Audio Formats: MP1、MP2、MP3、WMA、OGG、APE、FLAC、WAV、AC3、AAC、AMR、DTS、RA、M4A
Subtitle Format: SRT/SMI/SSA/rear end
Network interface: RJ45(10/100Mbps)
Wireless: WiFi 802.11b/g and support for external 3G card (WCDMA 3.5G)
Video Output: HDMI 1.4 (1080p) / VGA / Composite
Audio Output: HDMI / Optical Out / Stereo
Interfaces: SD/SDHC + 3 x USB HOST + LAN
Features: Internet TV box, Software application supported, 1080P media player, QQ/MSN/Skype etc.
Language: Simplified Chinese/Traditional Chinese/English

I ordered one 3 days ago, as i haven't had the cash before. I ordered the Mele A1000.

Last edited by Allyall; 23-06-2012 at 04:21.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
23-06-2012, 08:08   #2
vicwatson

Ok, might be a bargain alert, but what is it exactly? What can it do? I looked at the youtube video but it's in chinese or... and am none the wiser.

Cheep Op
23-06-2012, 09:15   #3

It's a media player/HTPC.
Thanks from:
23-06-2012, 10:37   #4
ei9go

Does'nt seem to support AAC
23-06-2012, 14:46   #5
keithclancy

I built my whole media center for around 300 euros, I have HD Satellite (Freesat) all my movies, DTS and HDMI out to the surround sound system, all capped off with a Logitech Harmony remote.

These android based yokes suck and will continue sucking until theres a PVR Build of XBMC available for ARM

Just the media center, not including the Telly and Surround system of course

Last edited by keithclancy; 23-06-2012 at 15:44.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-06-2012, 17:24   #6
Adyx

Send a message via Yahoo to Adyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithclancy View Post
I built my whole media center for around 300 euros, I have HD Satellite (Freesat) all my movies, DTS and HDMI out to the surround sound system, all capped off with a Logitech Harmony remote.

These android based yokes suck and will continue sucking until theres a PVR Build of XBMC available for ARM

Just the media center, not including the Telly and Surround system of course
So why don't you post a bargain alert about your media centre set up instead of ragging on other peoples threads?
24-06-2012, 01:10   #7
Etnies

Prefer the Raspberry PI, RaspBMC has had some good updated in RC3 version it's gonna be a winner when it's up to speed. But that looks good for people that just want to plug something in and have it work right away.
24-06-2012, 13:52   #8
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etnies View Post
Prefer the Raspberry PI, RaspBMC has had some good updated in RC3 version it's gonna be a winner when it's up to speed. But that looks good for people that just want to plug something in and have it work right away.
While Raspberry PI's are great ,they are as scarce as hens teeth .
24-06-2012, 14:40   #9
carbsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
While Raspberry PI's are great ,they are as scarce as hens teeth .
Finally got 'invited' to order mine with Radionics.6+ weeks waiting time now!
Advertisement
24-06-2012, 16:53   #10
mp3ireland2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsy View Post
Finally got 'invited' to order mine with Radionics.6+ weeks waiting time now!
yeah me too, hoping by the time we get them that the smart people have everything optimised and XMBC working on it! Plenty of time to look for accessories at least! like a box and a remote etc.
24-06-2012, 17:07   #11
keithclancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adyx View Post
So why don't you post a bargain alert about your media centre set up instead of ragging on other peoples threads?
HP DX2300 - 40 euros second hand
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-4000 - 110 euros
64GB SSD - 80 euros
700gb HDD - 75 euros
Nvidia Geforce GT520 - 40 Euros

Mediaportal - Free:
http://www.team-mediaportal.com/

The SSD is optional really, increases the performance when querying the EPG, theres about 900 channels after all.

Works pretty much like a Sky box (EPG, Series Records etc, if not better, plays all my online content (RTE Player/iPlayer etc) and all my local stuff too

Not the point though, I'm not saying that those ARM boxes are bad, simply that at the moment there is no port for XMBC PVR, so for me its useless.

If there was i'd be tie wrapping it on the back of a telly in my bedroom and using a power over ethernet adapter to watch HD telly

I've had it for almost 5 years now and added the nvidia card last year, plays 1080p content just fine and all the HD stuff on DVB-S great too, plus passes DTS over HDMI to the surround sound system too.

Also, since Mediaportal is based on a Server/Client system you can just install the front end on an Atom based box and stream HD Content over power over ethernet to anywhere in your house.

Last edited by keithclancy; 24-06-2012 at 17:19.
24-06-2012, 21:21   #12
zom

Quote:
link?
24-06-2012, 22:28   #13
Adyx

Quote:
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-4000 - 110 euros
64GB SSD - 80 euros
700gb HDD - 75 euros
Nvidia Geforce GT520 - 40 Euros

Mediaportal - Free:
http://www.team-mediaportal.com/

The SSD is optional really, increases the performance when querying the EPG, theres about 900 channels after all.

Works pretty much like a Sky box (EPG, Series Records etc, if not better, plays all my online content (RTE Player/iPlayer etc) and all my local stuff too

Not the point though, I'm not saying that those ARM boxes are bad, simply that at the moment there is no port for XMBC PVR, so for me its useless.

If there was i'd be tie wrapping it on the back of a telly in my bedroom and using a power over ethernet adapter to watch HD telly

I've had it for almost 5 years now and added the nvidia card last year, plays 1080p content just fine and all the HD stuff on DVB-S great too, plus passes DTS over HDMI to the surround sound system too.

Also, since Mediaportal is based on a Server/Client system you can just install the front end on an Atom based box and stream HD Content over power over ethernet to anywhere in your house.
That's all very nice but you're not really comparing like for like. I myself have a very sweet media centre pc (~ size of a Wii, 300GB hd, built in digital tuner etc) that I got on eBay for less than €200. This BA is for nothing like that though. It's a cheap as chips Chinese Android TV box that costs €68. Anyway, enough off-topicness.
24-06-2012, 23:02   #14
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adyx View Post
I myself have a very sweet media centre pc (~ size of a Wii, 300GB hd, built in digital tuner etc) that I got on eBay for less than €200.
Do you have a link for that adyx... sounds like its worth checking out as am in the market.
24-06-2012, 23:56   #15
Adyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
Do you have a link for that adyx... sounds like its worth checking out as am in the market.
I'm sorry I don't. I don't have the pc nearby at the moment and I can't even remember the make. I do know that it's actually a pretty old model, possibly discontinued but it does have a dual core processor and I swapped out the ram for a 1GB stick. It's all laptop parts inside. I should have it to hand tomorrow evening so I'll let you know then. I got a good deal because the owner was upgrading to an Apple TV or something. He had put Ubuntu on it but it came with Windows XP Media Centre discs.

Edit: This is it. Except mine is all black and I'm pretty sure it says Hewlett-Packard on it too. Probably rebranded. Holy shít 2006! -I think I've had mine about 4 years.

Last edited by Adyx; 25-06-2012 at 00:13.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion