Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

30-01-2012, 17:53   #1
SineadV

TORONTO OR VANCOUVER FOR CONSTRUCTION/ENGINEERING JOBS 2012???

Hey everyone,

Currently waiting on my visa application so hoping to move to Canada at the end of April/start of May....

Need help deciding on which city to live and work...have a degree in Architectural Technology so its construction/engineering.

Which city would be the best for that kind of work???

Thanks for any help
Advertisement
31-01-2012, 14:40   #2
ibh

It's been a while since I was in Toronto but I would say it is better than Van for Construction. Vancouver has a really tough construction market to break into. There are so many people there applying for each job it is very difficult to be the standout candidate unless you have some very specialized experience.

I'm in Calgary and the construction market is very strong here but it is a very different prospect to living in Van / Toronto. And even here I'm not sure how easy it would be to get into Architecture. have you worked on any projects in Ireland??
Thanks from:
31-01-2012, 16:36   #3
SineadV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibh View Post
It's been a while since I was in Toronto but I would say it is better than Van for Construction. Vancouver has a really tough construction market to break into. There are so many people there applying for each job it is very difficult to be the standout candidate unless you have some very specialized experience.

I'm in Calgary and the construction market is very strong here but it is a very different prospect to living in Van / Toronto. And even here I'm not sure how easy it would be to get into Architecture. have you worked on any projects in Ireland??
Thanks a million for getting back to me. I haven't got a lot of experience as the construction industry is terrible here. I worked for a building surveyor during college summers and had some work experience with a quantity surveyor but that's about it. I got my degree in 2010 so badly need work experience. The only other work experience I have is doing the odd job on the side doing planning drawings but that's the most basic experience...every little helps I suppose!

Finding it hard to decide which city as Vancouver seems to have a better lifestyle all round but the primary reason for leaving Ireland is to get work experience so that's the priority. I did look into Calgary aswell so i'm keeping all my options open for the time being.
31-01-2012, 20:54   #4
fat__tony

For architectural jobs, Calgary is meant to be the best destination.

Toronto is extremely competitive, especially if you are without much experience.

Forget Vancouver, lacking in opportunties plus its extremely expensive.
Thanks from:
01-02-2012, 13:08   #5
beano345

i would say toronto from having talked to people who have moved here from vancouver.construction is booming here at the moment,i counted 26 tower cranes from one window in work the other day and thats just in downtown.anyone looking for jobs in construction should hit up a few authentic irish bars not the plastic ones and make contacts from there.most people to start work the next day after a phone call or two.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-02-2012, 18:22   #6
HavingCrack
Closed Account

It might be worth looking at Montreal. There seemed to be a lot of construction going on there when I visited a few months back and I know two lads who worked there in construction 3 years back who both had very basic French when they first moved and appeared to do alright (obviously got better as they went on).
Thanks from:
01-02-2012, 20:35   #7
SineadV

Thanks everyone for all your advice...I really appreciate it.
It's gonna be a tough decision.
01-02-2012, 21:27   #8
C@non
Banned

Toronto for sure!! i only heard good things about how much you guys make here.. plus vancouver is Rain rain rain rain and... yep more rain!
03-02-2012, 13:47   #9
fat__tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by C@non View Post
Toronto for sure!! i only heard good things about how much you guys make here.. plus vancouver is Rain rain rain rain and... yep more rain!
I wonder has anyone bothered to read my post??

Toronto is booming but its extremely competitive for architectural positions which means lower wages in a city which has a high cost of living.
Advertisement
04-02-2012, 22:06   #10
ibh

Remember that even though things are very busy here in Calgary, it will still be difficult to get a job with limited experience.

Be careful about advice that a city has tons of work. Search the job boards for the various cities and see how many jobs you would qualify for.
Thanks from:
Forum Closed