Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Gelena wrote: »
    Hi. I bought a tablet from alliexpress. I paid around 110 euro included delivery. They put invoice on package for 50 dollars (I found it after I got it). Delivery was made by DHL. I expected vat 21%, it means around 25 euro. I received a package in time and delivery man ask me to pay exactly the same amount of a money..... BUT thing is DHL NEVER asked how much I PAID. On a box it was 50 dollars invoice. How did they count how much tax I have to pay... I’m very confused....How????

Are you saying that they valued your product wrongly, or that they ignored the false declaration on the package, and valued it correctly? If the value they used was the true value of the product, then you have no complaint, and no one here is going to help you in evading tax (it's illegal).

If they valued the product wrongly, then you can write to DHL and show proof of what you paid, then ask them to reassess it.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Gelena

jor el wrote: »
    Are you saying that they valued your product wrongly, or that they ignored the false declaration on the package, and valued it correctly? If the value they used was the true value of the product, then you have no complaint, and no one here is going to help you in evading tax (it's illegal).
    You took it so wrong... I said that I was very surprised that They without asking, gave me a RIGHT quotation. Even They had a wrong invoice on a package and Didn’t ask me about my payment for this Company. I expected that I HAVE to PAY a tax and I have read so many posts on this website before ordered one thing from China. I didn’t ask for advice. Yes, it was a wrong invoice, But...I’m not going to repeat again what I said before....Just still wondering How they could guess correctly on so short time, price which I paid.:rolleyes:... That’s IT!!!:p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Happens every time with DHL - in my experience.

Seems to be issued automatically.

Correct :D they are issued automatically and posted out. but once you've paid you've paid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Boardrat

Hi, I somehow managed to not pick the prepaid charges delivery option, no idea how but anyway, and was stung for a large customs/duty fee. My dad rang me this morning with your man at the door, and I was just coming out of an exam and not thinking very clearly so I told him to pay it and I'd pay him pack. I'm now thinking I'd be better off just sending the whole package pack, if I do this will the customs/duty/vat be refunded? It surely should be, if I returned an item to a shop here I'd get my VAT back. How do I go about this, i've been googling to no avail for an hour now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Right.
    A lot of what was originally posted didn't really make sense to me so I was wondering if someone could specifically explain what's gonna happen in my situation?
    Bought a few of those ridiculously cheap factory sourced jerseys from China. Came to around 70 euro and 10 euro with EMS.
    They just arrived in Portlaoise yesterday afternoon and while I'm not expecting them to be here by the morning I really hope I don't have to pay more. This customs thing was only brought to light recently and it's alarming to hear I might have to reach into my pocket again. I ordered a jersey from the US a few months back and didn't have any issues.
    Anyone care to explain?

Cheers.

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »
    Bought a few of those ridiculously cheap factory sourced jerseys from China.

If these are counterfeit branded goods, then you won't get them. They'll be destroyed by customs.
    troyzer wrote: »
    Anyone care to explain?

What is there to explain? It's all in post #1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Hi, I've read through the first post and tried searching for an answer online but I'm hoping someone can help me cause I'm really clueless when it comes to this.

I'm buying 20 cigars from the US. They cost 21 dollars and shipping is 45 dollars. (50 euro total)

1st of all am I right in saying that I will have to pay 20 odd percent tax on the full 50 euro?

Secondly do I have to pay other charges such as customs duty/excise duty?

Thirdly, How exactly do I pay these charges? Like do I just have to give permission for the money to my account?

And lastly if I don't pay these charges in a certain amount of time, will I lose my purchase?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! And sorry if these questions are stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cbyrne11

Hi, I've read through the first post and tried searching for an answer online but I'm hoping someone can help me cause I'm really clueless when it comes to this.

I'm buying 20 cigars from the US. They cost 21 dollars and shipping is 45 dollars. (50 euro total)

1st of all am I right in saying that I will have to pay 20 odd percent tax on the full 50 euro?

Secondly do I have to pay other charges such as customs duty/excise duty?

Thirdly, How exactly do I pay these charges? Like do I just have to give permission for the money to my account?

And lastly if I don't pay these charges in a certain amount of time, will I lose my purchase?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! And sorry if these questions are stupid!

You'll probably have to pay duty as well as customs on them since they're tabacco not sure how that works but you'll het something through the door, if its similar to customs you'll have to go to a depot and pay the charges when your collecting them, bring exact change they don't have tills for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

cbyrne11 wrote: »
    You'll probably have to pay duty as well as customs on them since they're tabacco not sure how that works but you'll het something through the door, if its similar to customs you'll have to go to a depot and pay the charges when your collecting them, bring exact change they don't have tills for some reason

I was afraid of that.. Can this be paid online or where exactly would I have to go to collect them? thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Edg3

Seems like the right place to ask and hope no one asked already. I ordered a dvd off hmv.co.uk and this morning got told I needed to pay 25euro to customs, didn't think I'd have to since their in the EU zone, I was even told in HMV here to do it as they didn't know when they'd be getting the dvd boxset back on stock. Cost me just under 80 euro off hmv.

• Advertisement

HMV ship from Jersey, which is not in the EU.

HMV ship from Jersey, which is not in the EU.

Interesting, I didnt know that, I thought play.com was the only one to do that... So that means I've been spending extra to ship from HMV instead of Play.com to avoid the import duties (or whatever it is) and til now have somehow avoided them. Weird. I was using HMV for anything over 22euro and play.com for anything below that after Customs told me about the limit. Well thats annoying. Its weird because I asked in the Post Office today where the parcel was coming from and they said the UK. Oh well, I sent it back, I just refused to give them 25euro more on top of what I'd already spent. Thanks for the reply.

From the post office's point of view it will still be incoming UK post, but it's origin is outside of the EU. Jersey and Guernsey are Crown Dependencies, and not part of the EU (though they are UK territories).

Many "UK" companies ship from there in order to avoid tax liabilities.

Yeah your 100% right. I looked at where you send returns and its Guernsey. That I didnt know. Feel stupid now, I've been buying off them instead of Play because I thought VAT and Customs were paid, and I was paying more from HMV then Play. Thanks for the reply, helped clear up that for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭SymphonyX

You say Limit for duty is €150, limit for VAT is €22 for purchases....
    Does this still apply if the purchase is up around €1'500... I got myself a new Camera from the US..... Just wondering am I going to get a big slap from customs when it arrives?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AngryGoldfish

SymphonyX wrote: »
    Does this still apply if the purchase is up around €1'500... I got myself a new Camera from the US..... Just wondering am I going to get a big slap from customs when it arrives?
    Depending on a few factors there is a strong chance you will be taxed a substantial amount of money. I suspect it will be around €350-400. But bear in mind that if you bought the same camera from a UK or European distributor, you'd be paying the same amount plus whatever mark-up that specific dealer wants to make. You also have to pay more shipping charges that way.

Personally, if a product is produced in America, or if at least the business is based in America, I try and buy direct and import it into the country. Not only because on occassion I am not taxed, but because it often works out cheaper even with the VAT, duties and shipping. However, if it something like a camera, I buy locally because camera's are prone to breakage and would cost a lot to return. But for the few things that I buy regularly (guitar effects pedals) I always buy from America if it's made in America. They never break and if they do I can fix them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I emailed revenue about the €22 limit, in some old threads I was saying the limit is higher than €22 in most cases and they confirmed it. €26.08 at the current 23% VAT rate. The limit was higher when VAT was 21%
    Hi,
    I was reading on revenue.ie that the limit is €22 until something is applicable for VAT when importing from online shops

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1179.html

Consignments not exceeding a total customs value of €22 may be imported without payment of VAT.

However it goes on to say

Where the customs duty on a consignment of goods amounts to less than €10 it will not be collected. Similarly, VAT liability amounting to less than or equal to €6 will not be collected.

So on typical imported items like a DVD the VAT is 23%, so if the DVD is €25 it is above the €22 threshold limit, but the VAT would only be €5.75 so is below the €6 limit. Am I right in thinking that this in effect means the real threshold value for non-excise items at 23% is €26.08 -since only items above this value will have VAT equal or above €6.

Thanks
    Dear ***,
    Your calculations in the example you quoted are correct but do remember that, if the freight costs or the VAT rates increase, the €22 threshold will produce a different result. This threshold is set in European Law, while the €6 de minimus limit is just a local practice based on administrative expedience.

Regards,

Customs Division

SymphonyX wrote: »
    Does this still apply if the purchase is up around €1'500
    The OP says
    it is subject to VAT and possibly duty, if it exceeds the limits. Limit for duty is €150, limit for VAT is €22
    €1500 exceeds it, I don't see the confusion. Digital cameras are 0% duty, I am not sure about normal cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I've just after buying a cheap tablet from China ($140 plus $23.27 DHL delivery), I expected to get done for customs. I calculated the amount here: http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/63815774/, amount due should have been around €29.

However, DHL sent me a text to say I actually owe €44.53 in customs import taxes, this seems to be on the high side.

What administration charge do DHL normally impose, hardly €15?

MayoForSam wrote: »
    What administration charge do DHL normally impose, hardly €15?

That's exactly what they charge, and it's in post #1. The fee can be up to €15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mbyte

I recently bought a product online that I bought around €1000. I then realized that I would probably have to pay VAT. These thoughts brought me here.

I was wondering on the legality of side of things. If I purchase a product online, I bought the product. When a delivery company delivers the product with VAT charges, they are holding my property and won't release it to me because of the protocols in place (such as paying tax). If I don't pay the taxes the package is then "deemed" to be rejected and sent back to the sender.

Would I be correct in my assertion?

Or is there some oddball work around that nothing can be owned on a purchase without paying the tax on it. Meaning I technically own it until it enters the country.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 sceach

Just a query: if i travel to the states bringing my own expensive camera must i have proof on me that i brought it out with me to show to customs on my return.
    Thanks
    Sceach:confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Mbyte wrote: »
    I recently bought a product online that I bought around €1000. I then realized that I would probably have to pay VAT. These thoughts brought me here.

Dunno what you're getting at, but if you owe customs duty/VAT you have to pay it to get your item.

If you refuse to pay those charges then the delivery company can send your package back, (how long they'll hold onto the package varies from company to company).

Considering that you think you will have to pay some sort of charge I guess your item is coming form outside of europe and in that case you might run into trouble getting a refund (certainly is a possibility to consider, have you contacted the company you bought the item from to see what their stance is?) and I definitely would not expect to get any delivery related charges back from the company you bought the item from in the event that they do refund you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mbyte

sceach wrote: »
    Just a query: if i travel to the states bringing my own expensive camera must i have proof on me that i brought it out with me to show to customs on my return.
    Thanks

As far as I'm aware there shouldn't really be a problem. The problem may rise if they hold you up to search your bag. If the customs think that you bought the camera abroad and made it look like that you had it then just react like you should, look at them as if they've two heads. Don't be submissive and look guilty when your not and deny out right any accusations they come up with. Coming home with a bag full of cigarettes might not help either. If your really up tight about it then take a picture with you and your camera with something Irish in the background.

To be honest if all you have is a camera and that's typically the only thing that may have been "bought" I'd imagine they'd let it slide because they can't really prove it. Too much hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

sceach wrote: »
    Thanks

I bring my camera everywhere with me and travel to the states a lot and the times i have been stopped they never bother asking about my camera as its in its own case with the extra lenses. My camera is a couple of years old and still looks new and nothing ever said. You should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Quick Fedex query
    I bought an item about 2 months ago that was damaged upon arrival (box was ok but Item was damaged inside) So I returned it to the sender for a refund.

Fast forward to now and fedex have sent the customs bill. I informed them that I returned the item ect but they insist that I still need to pay the import duty first, and then write to revenue seeking a refund.

Im just wondering if this is the norm in such cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RockyTwoArms

That's exactly what they charge, and it's in post #1. The fee can be up to €15.

Is this charge avoidable or regulated?

FYI - Nightline have previously waived any charge for such "handling"

An Post charge a flat rate of €6, however the invoice is issued by the Revenue Commissioners. When queried about this an Post and Revenue ignored the question.

From the feedback I receive the delivery companies are operating as collection agents for Revenue and we must pay for the pleasure.

Revenue officials have told me that VAT cannot be prepaid or paid electronically to them directly. An Post informed me that they cannot give me the package without collecting the VAT and their charge.

This is essentially a stealth tariff on traders from outside the EU.

No and yes, respectively.

It's not a stealth charge, as it's well publicised.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

FYI - Nightline have previously waived any charge for such "handling"

An Post charge a flat rate of €6, however the invoice is issued by the Revenue Commissioners. When queried about this an Post and Revenue ignored the question.

From the feedback I receive the delivery companies are operating as collection agents for Revenue and we must pay for the pleasure.

Revenue officials have told me that VAT cannot be prepaid or paid electronically to them directly. An Post informed me that they cannot give me the package without collecting the VAT and their charge.

Hi Rockytwoarms,

Obviously € 15 is a major outlay.

The way to circumvent the € 15 handling fee is as follows ;

1) on receipt of the DHL or UPS or FEDEX tracking number contact the respective courier company and instruct them not to clear the shipment on your behalf.
    2) You then can file the customs entry to Customs, issue payment to Customs and look after all that administration yourself

Courier companies are not acting as collection agents. You have the choice of looking after the import formalities yourself (and all the hassle that entails) or leaving it up to the courier company.

Bear in mind that the courier companies have a major security (i.e. customs bond) filed with customs in order to allow them to process the shipments as efficiently as possible. For every shipment that comes in that has a dutyable value, the courier company actually has to produce an entry to customs and settle the duty and or VAt through their bond facility.

In my view the courier companies providing that service are entitled to be remunerated for that work and putting the security / bond in place.

That's my tuppence/hapenny worth

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭bren50c

5500 wrote: »
    Quick Fedex query
    I bought an item about 2 months ago that was damaged upon arrival (box was ok but Item was damaged inside) So I returned it to the sender for a refund.

Fast forward to now and fedex have sent the customs bill. I informed them that I returned the item ect but they insist that I still need to pay the import duty first, and then write to revenue seeking a refund.

Im just wondering if this is the norm in such cases?

I am also wondering the same thing. I have a warranty replacement computer part coming from ems china. I paid vat the first time and i'm wondering has anyone paid and got a refund when the return item comes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ier

Question about "free shipping". I bought an Item from outside EU. Paid 140 euro for the item. The delivery normally would cost 100 euro but because of a promotion it was free... It arrived by DHL, and I was asked by them to pay VAT on 240 euros. I know that VAT is supposed to include delivery, but I paid only 140 to the seller. Delivery costs were paid by them. Is there anything I have to do about this, or do I have to pay VAT for delivery, even if it was paid for by the sellers? Thanks.

Advertisement