Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ah great, that's exactly the answer I was hoping for but wasn't sure :) Is there something different about bringing wine into the country from France for example if the VAT has or hasn't been paid in France? Maybe that's what confused me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Allowances for alcohol and tobacco are for personal carry only. If you get it shipped in, no exemption on duty applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sean_conroy

Is this site actually accurate I came across it after reading the sticky for FAQs and within the sticky jor el says,
    The limit for VAT includes the cost of postage. So if you buy an item for €10, and postage costs €40, then the total is €50 and you pay VAT on that amount.
    And also,
    When you import anything from outside the EU, it is subject to VAT and possibly duty, if it exceeds the limits. Limit for duty is €150, limit for VAT is €22 for purchases and €45 for a gift.

When I use the site my item including cost of post is €32.30 which is over the €22 limit, but I dont get vat. Is this because jor els statement is wrong, is the site innacurate or am I just making a balls of something somewhere?

This is my first post so any feedback negative or possitive would be appriciated.

-Sean

If it helps here are the relevent links to my post

Item: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250939848213&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:IE:1123

Calculator with € values: http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/18025440/

Calculator with $ values: http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/18023070/

Sticky: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554

All questions should go in the Import Duty and VAT thread, not in new threads. This will be merged with that thread.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1882.html
    The value for the purposes of charging Customs Duty is calculated on the price paid or payable for the goods plus the cost of transport (including postage), insurance and any loading or handling charges associated with the delivery of the goods into the EU.

Imported goods are liable to VAT at the same rate as applies to the sale within Ireland of similar goods. The value of the goods for the purpose of VAT is their value for customs purposes, described above, increased by the amount of any duty or other tax (but not including VAT) payable and any other transport, handling or insurance costs between entry into the EU and delivery to their final destination.

Where the Customs Duty on a consignment of goods amounts to less than €10 it will not be collected. Similarly, VAT liability amounting to less than or equal to €6 will not be collected. No similar rule applies in the case of Excise Duty which will always be collected on products liable to it.

It is clear that the cost of shipping and insurance is included in the valuation of the goods, and anything over €22 is liable. If the total VAT to be applied is under €6, it will not be collected at all.

Further to that, it also states
    Consignments not exceeding a total customs value of €22 may be imported without payment of VAT. (Customs value is the value of the goods plus insurance and freight (which includes postage costs (CIF value).

So it is clear that the total value to be assessed for Duty and VAT includes the cost of shipping. Dutycalcualtor.com are working it out wrongly, unless the value to be collected is below €6, in which case nothing will be collected. That is not what they're saying in your case though.

• Advertisement

Sorry for making a new thread I seen your post about asking how much vat ect. and didn't want to seem like im following that trend.

My vat works out at nearly €7. I'm useless at maths so I could be wrong ahh think best thing is to just chance my arm.

Thanks for the help jor el

Just thought I would give an update package arrived yesturday no vat was added I still dont understand why but im not complaining thanks again :)

They cannot assess every package that arrives as they don't have the manpower to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

I got a package from China which cost €21.07 as per my credit card bill, this was the full cost including P&P and insurance and I got an An Post leaflet in the door asking for €15.99 customs charge. Surely this is wrong as anything under €22 should have no duty or VAT charges? Where can I appeal this?

Edit: I was wrong, the €15.99 wasn't for my Chinese package it was for my order from 7dayshop.com. I've ordered off them at least 10 times in the past without any customs charges so I thought they were in the EU or otherwise exempt, but they're in Jersey which does require customs charges. I won't be ordering off them again.

Also An Post have nothing to do with disputing the charges, they're just the middle man. The customs office in Athlone were the ones to ask and were very useful and quick with my query even though handwriting on leaflet was poor.

Contact An Post for clarification as they are the ones billing you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lisij

hi, i have a dilemma with dhl
    ive ordered an item from US, when ever i received it i have to pay import tax on delivery, so i did gave the needed amount to driver, after a week or so i received an invoice from dhl, saying i need to pay the bla bla amount for import? what gives, 2 payment for one item or is it just a receipt that i payed the driver???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Slat3

I purchased a WD 1TB MEDIA PLAYER for e150 from ebay. The item was shipped from the usa by fedex. They held the item until I sent them proof of value.

The item was broken on arrival and the seller gave me a full refund one week later. Now I got a bill from fedex for e41 and they say I must pay.

This feels like a stick-up job but is there anything I can do? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

lisij wrote: »
    hi, i have a dilemma with dhl
    ive ordered an item from US, when ever i received it i have to pay import tax on delivery, so i did gave the needed amount to driver, after a week or so i received an invoice from dhl, saying i need to pay the bla bla amount for import? what gives, 2 payment for one item or is it just a receipt that i payed the driver???

You need to ask DHL that, as no one else knows what's on your bill.
    Slat3 wrote: »
    This feels like a stick-up job but is there anything I can do? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

If you sent it back, then show proof of that and you won't have to pay. If you kept it, then you have imported it (broken or not) and the charge is valid.

jor el wrote: »
    ive rang them, the girl on the phone said ignore the letter if you already payed the driver

Hope you got a receipt from the driver, otherwise you've got no proof you ever paid.

Hope you got a receipt from the driver, otherwise you've got no proof you ever paid.

no havnt got any receipt from him, but i did signed on the jog that i payed the amount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Happens every time with DHL - in my experience.

Once I paid the driver.

Other three times they rang me and took payment over the phone.

On all four occasions I got the invoice about a week later. Seems to be issued automatically. They told me to ignore it. I did. Nothing happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Slat3

If you sent it back, then show proof of that and you won't have to pay. If you kept it, then you have imported it (broken or not) and the charge is valid.

Thanks Jor, I have to bite the bullet and pay for it but they are going to have to wait until next year. I think I can repair the unit myself so it might work out a lot cheaper in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cbyrne11

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Happens every time with DHL - in my experience.

Once I paid the driver.

Other three times they rang me and took payment over the phone.

On all four occasions I got the invoice about a week later. Seems to be issued automatically. They told me to ignore it. I did. Nothing happened.

Thats happened me in the past twice, I'd check what DHL charged you though, twice they forgot to convert from dollars to euro when they were assessing it and I ended up over paying, was a pain claiming the difference back. Involving having to send letters and ring customs about it.

One quick question wondering if anyone has any experience in this, I'm waiting on a package from america, the tracking shows it showed up in portlaoise sorting centre yesterday, do you know how long it will take to get to Dublin, chrimbo present so hoping it will get here friday, probably be some charges on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

hi
    i recieved a collection docket from on post today (missed delivery) and where it says "customs charges on this item" there is noting wrote, am i off the hook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Bit of a random question, but what methods of payment do DHL accept when paying for customs to the driver? Cash only?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 richieq1

hi all

ordered a laptop off Dell.ie paid VAT on order it was dispatched only then i realised it was made in China

can i be charged excise/duty as it was ordered on a .ie website

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

richieq1 wrote: »
    No, if you bought it from dell.ie it will have been sent from Ireland. When they imported it themselves they would have paid the duty on it, and the VAT when they sold it to you.

If they had sent it to you direct from China you would have been liable. Like how cd-wow.co.uk might send direct from hong kong.

This is nothing to do with it being a .ie website by the way, so be careful with other sites, I just know dell.ie will be OK, e.g. hmv.co.uk will ship from outside the EU which catches people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 richieq1

rubadub wrote: »
    No, if you bought it from dell.ie it will have been sent from Ireland. When they imported it themselves they would have paid the duty on it, and the VAT when they sold it to you.

If they had sent it to you direct from China you would have been liable. Like how cd-wow.co.uk might send direct from hong kong.

This is nothing to do with it being a .ie website by the way, so be careful with other sites, I just know dell.ie will be OK, e.g. hmv.co.uk will ship from outside the EU which catches people out.

It was dispatched from china to Japan to America to Germany to Ireland. Although bought on dell.ie...strange

Hoping it ok though vat was charged at 21% already that's usually the bulk of charge on stuff coming in im guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Gelena

Hi. I bought a tablet from alliexpress. I paid around 110 euro included delivery. They put invoice on package for 50 dollars (I found it after I got it). Delivery was made by DHL. I expected vat 21%, it means around 25 euro. I received a package in time and delivery man ask me to pay exactly the same amount of a money..... BUT thing is DHL NEVER asked how much I PAID. On a box it was 50 dollars invoice. How did they count how much tax I have to pay... I’m very confused....How????

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

It was dispatched from china to Japan to America to Germany to Ireland. Although bought on dell.ie...strange

Hoping it ok though vat was charged at 21% already that's usually the bulk of charge on stuff coming in im guessing

Hello Richieq1,

just to put your mind at ease, import duty on computers is 0 (zero) %. So even if it was cleared in your name (it probably was cleared in Dell's name) no duty would be payable.

Trust this clarifies

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Gelena wrote: »
    Hi. I bought a tablet from alliexpress. I paid around 110 euro included delivery. They put invoice on package for 50 dollars (I found it after I got it). Delivery was made by DHL. I expected vat 21%, it means around 25 euro. I received a package in time and delivery man ask me to pay exactly the same amount of a money..... BUT thing is DHL NEVER asked how much I PAID. On a box it was 50 dollars invoice. How did they count how much tax I have to pay... I’m very confused....How????

Hello Gelena,

You obviously still believe in Santa Claus and expect Customs to do likewise. Customs know the value of products. If they don't know, all they have to do is look it up on the website you bought it from. In addition I am sure yours was not the only tablet imported from that website this year. Only when they are not 100% sure about the value would they ask you for proof of payment.

Putting a ficticious value on the package makes no sense whatsoever, you are likely to get caught for the correct value and pay VAT accordingly

Regards,
    Rudol289

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

On a box it was 50 dollars invoice.
    Are you saying there was an invoice in the package? if so they might have opened it to find it and resealed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Gelena

rubadub wrote: »
    Are you saying there was an invoice in the package? if so they might have opened it to find it and resealed it.
    It was ON a package in the plastic pocket.
    I don't think that they opened it, everything was very good sealed. No sing that it was open....
    RUDOLF289 wrote: »
    If they don't know, all they have to do is look it up on the website you bought it from.
    I can guess myself that, but from day I paid and I received a package only in 5 days and it spend only couple of hours on a DHL service in Ireland and it was before Xmas (busiest time of the year), and all tablet are look-a-like, and a price can be from 50 dollars to....500

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

It was ON a package in the plastic pocket.
    I don't think that they opened it, everything was very good sealed. No sing that it was open....
    I can guess myself that, but from day I paid and I received a package only in 5 days and it spend only couple of hours on a DHL service in Ireland and it was before Xmas (busiest time of the year), and all tablet are look-a-like, and a price can be from 50 dollars to....500

To be fair the guys in Customs probably see a lot of the same products come past them so are well used to finding out where they came from and the actual cost. But it would have been easy to find out by the invoice where it came from and taken them 2 minutes to look it up. On another note Customs are very good at opening boxes and re-sealing them.

Advertisement