Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-09-2011, 21:43   #16

I have often driven down this road, never really paying attention to they cycle path.

But I decided to cycle down the other morning and could not believe how suddenly the cycle path stopped. These pictures wouldn't be out of place in 'You laugh you lose'.

I had to wait there for a minute waiting for a gap to appear in the traffic so I could move out on to the road....didn't look across the luas track, does the cycle path continue there?
Advertisement
29-09-2011, 21:47   #17
Cookie_Monster

Send a message via Skype™ to Cookie_Monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith16 View Post
.didn't look across the luas track, does the cycle path continue there?
sorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie_Monster View Post
You cross the tracks there and then have a cycle lane for a few dozen metres before it ends in the middle of a footpath stranding you...
It's yet another one to be avoided in favour of road use
Thanks from:
29-09-2011, 21:51   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie_Monster View Post
sorta
Ok sorry, looks like I took the right option...but I just couldn't believe how it ended so abruptly to the point that I shouted "what the hell is this" and then looked around to see if anyone heard me, sure enough there was onther guy on a bike looking at me like I had ten heads
Thanks from:
29-09-2011, 21:59   #19
RobertFoster

I could hear the Jaws theme in my head as I scrolled down through the pictures. There was the big DUH-DUH! at 15:30:43 when Luas poked his head around the sign and the crescendo at 15:30:47.

I don't really see the benefit of all the yield markings and signs at regular intervals on cycle paths -- who are they aimed at, who heeds them, who enforces them?

Last edited by RobertFoster; 29-09-2011 at 22:02.
29-09-2011, 22:01   #20
monument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusk Doyle View Post
Why?
Somebody was seioursly injured recently at this crossing.

To be very clear: I am not saying or implying the blind spot played any part, I am just posting to warn cyclists and generally highlight this poor design.
Advertisement
29-09-2011, 23:16   #21
tomasrojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusk Doyle View Post
And people laughed at Darwin?
I think you're confusing him with George Carlin. They look alike.
30-09-2011, 11:08   #22
HivemindXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFoster View Post
I don't really see the benefit of all the yield markings and signs at regular intervals on cycle paths -- who are they aimed at, who heeds them, who enforces them?
Yield markings are useful when used correctly. They serve to warn you that you are losing priority, should watch out for conflicting traffic and wait until it's safe to proceed.

Unfortunately they are misused a lot on cycle lanes. For example on the N11 going north there are dozens of yield markings at private driveways. They shouldn't be there, motorists leaving private property should be yielding to people on the public thoroughfare not the other way round. A cycle path shouldn't have dozens of yields where the adjacent road has none. All these yield signs serve to do is cover the ass of someone who was worried their badly designed cycle path was going to cause problems and as a side effect reduce the effectiveness of every yield marking that actually has a valid reason to be there.
30-09-2011, 11:54   #23
monument

Overuse also serves to erode any effectiveness of the yield markings may have.

Just as putting cycle paths on footpaths helps cyclists think there's no harm in cycling on the footpath.
(4) thanks from:
30-09-2011, 14:01   #24
tomasrojo

Whenever two lanes meet, be they standard road lanes or cycle lanes, priority has to be established, either implicitly by laws or explicitly by signage.

That cars coming out of their driveways should get priority over bicycles already on their journey, overturning decades of convention in establishing priority, tells you a great deal about how cyclists are seen by the local authorities.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
30-09-2011, 14:15   #25

What junction did the cyclist get critically injured in the Luas/cyclist collision in Sandyford a couple of weeks ago? Was it this one?
30-09-2011, 14:16   #26
monument

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlammeRouge View Post
What junction did the cyclist get critically injured in the Luas/cyclist collision in Sandyford a couple of weeks ago? Was it this one?
Yes, it was this one.
Thanks from:
30-09-2011, 16:55   #27
07Lapierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith16 View Post
I have often driven down this road, never really paying attention to they cycle path.

But I decided to cycle down the other morning and could not believe how suddenly the cycle path stopped. These pictures wouldn't be out of place in 'You laugh you lose'.

I had to wait there for a minute waiting for a gap to appear in the traffic so I could move out on to the road....didn't look across the luas track, does the cycle path continue there?
You cycled ON the cycle path?? I thought us cyclists never used cycle lanes?
06-10-2011, 20:04   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Lapierre View Post
You cycled ON the cycle path?? I thought us cyclists never used cycle lanes?
Indeed! What was I thinking! Serves me right come to think of it!
07-10-2011, 23:47   #29
monument

Reply from the Railway Safety Commission...

Quote:
Dear Mr Ginty,

Further to your email of 29th September, an RSC Inspector reviewed the information you sent through and was in agreement that there was indeed a possible ‘blind spot’ created by the positioning of the ‘Cycle lane –END’ sign. The RSC contacted Veolia, the Railway Undertaking responsible for the operating the Dublin Luas, who advised they would look into same and revert.

Yesterday we received confirmation from Veolia that the sign was removed and suitably relocated thereby eliminating the possible ‘blind spot’.

Thank you for bringing your safety concern to our attention.

Kind Regards,

Railway Safety Commission
08-10-2011, 00:03   #30
tomasrojo

Great work!

(That use of "revert" I always find odd, and it seems to be peculiar to people from India and Ireland. Makes me think of them sitting in a ditch, wearing David Banner-style shredded trousers, wondering what mayhem they wreaked before they reverted.)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion