Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
15-06-2011, 19:23   #1
fitz1011
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 29
* Ag Science Predictions / discussion / aftermath * (One thread please)

Okay so after history not goin as well as id planned i really need to do well in ag to make up the points. Iv done a good project so if i pass the paper il get a C2 or C3 but would love a B iv got a week off before its on so iv some serious cramming to do has anyone got any tips on what i should focus on or predictions for what will come up or can you even predict for ag???any help please????
fitz1011 is offline  
Advertisement
15-06-2011, 20:51   #2
._.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 332
Bit early for me to be thinking about Ag, I have Biology and Chem to take care of first
._. is offline  
15-06-2011, 22:23   #3
Farmer poet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 45
get all the answers from examination.ie and go over all the years.... that really helped me..
Go over soil, genetics, grass, animal figures ( birthweight, gestation lenght..), phylums...flushing and steaming up in sheep production.

Can someone tell me what soil flocculation is? I never really covered it.

Last edited by Farmer poet; 15-06-2011 at 22:25.
Farmer poet is offline  
Thanks from:
15-06-2011, 22:24   #4
NotExactly
Registered User
 
NotExactly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by ._. View Post
Bit early for me to be thinking about Ag, I have Biology and Chem to take care of first
Pfft, it's some peoples next exam. It's not all 'bout you y'know
NotExactly is offline  
15-06-2011, 22:26   #5
._.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotExactly View Post
Pfft, it's some peoples next exam. It's not all 'bout you y'know
In fairness, I did say "for me" (indicating that I'd be checking in with this thread later).
._. is offline  
Advertisement
15-06-2011, 23:17   #6
fitz1011
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer poet View Post
get all the answers from examination.ie and go over all the years.... that really helped me..
Go over soil, genetics, grass, animal figures ( birthweight, gestation lenght..), phylums...flushing and steaming up in sheep production.

Can someone tell me what soil flocculation is? I never really covered it.
Thank you!!!according to my rapid revision flocculation is when ''clay particles come together into floccules or small clusters to improve soil structure''.Dont know how much use that is to you, dont really understand it myself either!!
fitz1011 is offline  
15-06-2011, 23:58   #7
Farmer poet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1011 View Post
Thank you!!!according to my rapid revision flocculation is when ''clay particles come together into floccules or small clusters to improve soil structure''.Dont know how much use that is to you, dont really understand it myself either!!
Haha I think I have the same one! I'm kinda in an Ag mood so I'll talk about what I know...Might get your brain going!
Functions of a leaf.... Food storage, gaseous exchange, photosyn, transpiration.
Conditions for germination-- Water , oxygen , warmth..
Seed structure --- Testa, Embryo, Endosperm.
Stages of nutrition-- Ingestion, digestion, absorbtion, assimilation, egestion.
Oxytocin- Milk let down , Prolactin - Milk production.
Zoonoses -An animal disease that humans can contract.
Milk is 87.5% water.
Wire worms - Arthropoda, Lung worms - Nematoda, Earthworms - Annelida.
Apples- Rosacaea .. Docks - polygonacaea..
Farmer poet is offline  
16-06-2011, 02:13   #8
Healium
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 1,499
Make sure you have a general knowledge of everything. They always throw in a stinker of a question or two, sometimes not even on the syllabus. I also wouldn't leave out any section. Study every topic, even if you only have the most basic knowledge of some of them. Anything could come up in the short questions, and sometimes you'll get 2 topics within one of the later questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer poet View Post

Can someone tell me what soil flocculation is? I never really covered it.
Jeeeeeesus, you're really testing me here. Errr, I think it's something to do with ions and cations, and the soil particles forming lumps (crumbs) Sorry, I've drank all my Ag. Science knowledge away *shivers* It'll be in the experiments section, anyway. Surely you have a revision book? I like how rainbowtrout thanked the post, and didn't answer you No more free answers on here anymore, you've to buy the book
Healium is offline  
16-06-2011, 15:44   #9
rainbowtrout
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healium View Post
Make sure you have a general knowledge of everything. They always throw in a stinker of a question or two, sometimes not even on the syllabus. I also wouldn't leave out any section. Study every topic, even if you only have the most basic knowledge of some of them. Anything could come up in the short questions, and sometimes you'll get 2 topics within one of the later questions


Jeeeeeesus, you're really testing me here. Errr, I think it's something to do with ions and cations, and the soil particles forming lumps (crumbs) Sorry, I've drank all my Ag. Science knowledge away *shivers* It'll be in the experiments section, anyway. Surely you have a revision book? I like how rainbowtrout thanked the post, and didn't answer you No more free answers on here anymore, you've to buy the book
I thanked it because it was good advice
rainbowtrout is offline  
Advertisement
17-06-2011, 02:48   #10
randylonghorn
Exactly what it says on the tin!
 
randylonghorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Anywhere but reality ...
Posts: 23,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healium View Post
No more free answers on here anymore ...
After being tormented by you for two years, hard to blame her!
randylonghorn is offline  
17-06-2011, 13:12   #11
rainbowtrout
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer poet View Post

Can someone tell me what soil flocculation is? I never really covered it.
It's where small soil particles (clay and silt) cluster together to form larger particles or structures called floccules. They are normally attracted to each other due to their cations and the polarisation of water in the soil.

They then trap larger particles which have no ions such as sand to form even larger particles.

If you could imagine a chain of silt and clay particles attracted to each other, forming a ring around a sand particle holding it in place, that's a floccule.
rainbowtrout is offline  
(2) thanks from:
17-06-2011, 14:05   #12
fitz1011
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 29
If i leave out grassland and soil will i still be able to pass??? il still have the biology,crops,animals,genetics and phylum covered i just really dont have time to do grassland and soil too??????
fitz1011 is offline  
17-06-2011, 21:48   #13
frenchy1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 37
Hey..
I wouldnt leave anything else to be honest :

Question 7 (my favourite )

A. Definitions
Gametes, Alleles, Haploid, Diploid, Heterozygous, homozygous, incomplete dominance, sex linkage, multiple alleles, mutation, Dominant, recessive, inbreeding, crossbreeding... Anything else you can think of !

B. your crosses
*Monohybrid cross
*Dehybrid cross
*Back cross
*Incomplete dominance

C. Applied Genetics
*Embryo transplantation
*Micro propagation
*Performance ant progeny testing
*Polyploidy
*AI
*Hybrids

Question 2

A. Factors affecting soil formation
*Parent material
*Climate
*Topography
*Living organisms
*Time

B.Soil Profiles
Usually you have the choice. Podzol is the easiest !

C.Soil Forming process
*Calcification
*Acidification
*Gleisation

D.Lime
Adv. + Disadv. of liming

E. Properties of Soil
Physical properties (i.e. texture, water, structure etc..)
Chemical properties (I.e. Cation exchange capacity..)
Biological properties (i.e. earthworms .. )

F. Experiment
*pH
*CEC
*Soil capillarity
*%water
*Drainage

Any else you can think of !

For question 4 simply study your experiment copy.. an experiment takes about 15 mn to learn it's really no big deal

These are not predictions but I just would not take the chance to leave out anything..
frenchy1992 is offline  
Thanks from:
17-06-2011, 22:49   #14
Farmer poet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1011 View Post
If i leave out grassland and soil will i still be able to pass??? il still have the biology,crops,animals,genetics and phylum covered i just really dont have time to do grassland and soil too??????
Sure you'll pass, but I'd recommend grassland..One of the easier parts of the course I think!
Farmer poet is offline  
17-06-2011, 23:37   #15
Vodkat
Registered User
 
Vodkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Galway
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy1992 View Post
Hey..
I wouldnt leave anything else to be honest :

Question 7 (my favourite )

A. Definitions
Gametes, Alleles, Haploid, Diploid, Heterozygous, homozygous, incomplete dominance, sex linkage, multiple alleles, mutation, Dominant, recessive, inbreeding, crossbreeding... Anything else you can think of !

B. your crosses
*Monohybrid cross
*Dehybrid cross
*Back cross
*Incomplete dominance

C. Applied Genetics
*Embryo transplantation
*Micro propagation
*Performance ant progeny testing
*Polyploidy
*AI
*Hybrids

Question 2

A. Factors affecting soil formation
*Parent material
*Climate
*Topography
*Living organisms
*Time

B.Soil Profiles
Usually you have the choice. Podzol is the easiest !.................
I tend to opt for these two questions also. Q.2 is ALWAYS on soil, Q.7 ALWAYS genetics, Q.4 is the experiments and Q.9 is the scientific explainations, Q.1 is the mixed bag of questions and then i'm left to choose one nice one from whatever is left. I find it the easiest way to do the exam. I'm hoping the experiment questions are nice, theres just so many to learn.

My teacher posted me out some extra notes last week on organic farming and a note to say she thinks there may be a question thrown in somewhere about it.
Eg. Differences between fertilizers spread on a field with normal potatoes and one that is organic.
Something along those lines. I wouldnt go into too much detail on it though.

Have to say the AG Pre's this year were way to easy and I seem to have done less study since.

MOO
Vodkat is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet