Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-04-2011, 10:44   #1
pathway33

6th years: Mandatory experiments : Physics, Chemistry, Biology

6th years: How many mandatory experiments in physics, chemistry or biology have you actually done in the lab? Or do you guys just read some of them out of the book?
Advertisement
06-04-2011, 17:40   #2
LilMissCiara

Physics: We do all of them. Did loads in 5th year but only had 4 or 5 left to do in Leaving Cert..
06-04-2011, 17:45   #3
EmacB

Did almost all the chemistry ones in school but theres one we cant do cos the eu banned a few chemicals in particular that we needed from being used in the classroom.
06-04-2011, 18:45   #4
jumpguy

Did anyone do the radioactivity experiments in physics? Our teacher wouldn't because she was worried about exposure. I doubt the exposure is anything dangerous if radioactive samples are being supplied to school labs...

The sodium dichromate used in some chemistry experiments has now been banned from school labs, it's used in the Le Chatlier's Principle experiments and to prepare ethanal and ethanoic acid. We'd already done all the practicals though involving sodium dichromate by the time the ban came in.
06-04-2011, 18:49   #5
LilMissCiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpguy View Post
Did anyone do the radioactivity experiments in physics? Our teacher wouldn't because she was worried about exposure. I doubt the exposure is anything dangerous if radioactive samples are being supplied to school labs...
That's not mandatory though.. Our teacher used to have the radioactive stuff but there was a fuss kicked up so she had to send it back to the place she bought it from..!
Advertisement
06-04-2011, 18:59   #6
jumpguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMissCiara View Post
That's not mandatory though.. Our teacher used to have the radioactive stuff but there was a fuss kicked up so she had to send it back to the place she bought it from..!
Mmm...I know...I still wanna play with GM tubes though.
06-04-2011, 20:22   #7
Chuchoter

We've done about half the physics ones, 3 or 4 of the chem ones and 3 or 4 of the biology ones
06-04-2011, 20:47   #8
arboroia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpguy View Post

The sodium dichromate used in some chemistry experiments has now been banned from school labs, it's used in the Le Chatlier's Principle experiments and to prepare ethanal and ethanoic acid. We'd already done all the practicals though involving sodium dichromate by the time the ban came in.
We did all of the radioactivity ones, it was funny to watch everybody getting nervous as the teacher took the plutonium sample and held it beside the GM Tube - the way it clicks doesn't help!
06-04-2011, 21:33   #9
GV_NRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMissCiara View Post
Physics: We do all of them. Did loads in 5th year but only had 4 or 5 left to do in Leaving Cert..
ya that was the same for us.. is there any marks going for it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayolastereo View Post
We've done about half the physics ones, 3 or 4 of the chem ones and 3 or 4 of the biology ones
WHAT?!?! how come you havent the rest of them done?? you dont really have much time left like with easter holidays and the week before the actual tests there is only about four weeks left!!
Advertisement
06-04-2011, 21:38   #10
Chuchoter

Sorry kind of missed the 6th year bit, probably should have mentioned I'm a fifth year XD
06-04-2011, 21:42   #11
GV_NRG

hahahah ok that would explain alot
06-04-2011, 21:55   #12
LilMissCiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by GV_NRG View Post
ya that was the same for us.. is there any marks going for it??
Nope I don't think so.. I love doing them but don't get why it's mandatory to actually do them an write them up..?
07-04-2011, 00:29   #13
Exothermic

What's the point in doing a science subject where you learn about experiments and techniques if you can never get a hands on experience of them or observe them being done? I think it's a lot easier to learn about an experiment after actually completing it.
We did all the Biology ones. Twice actually. And for Chemistry we did them all. We did the bomb calorimeter and all the instrumentation ones in the University labs then. Atomic absorption spec and all that. Very useful when you can remember back to physically going doing the experiment.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion