Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-03-2011, 23:18   #196
Lainey_b01

Hi Eilo, sounds like your having it really tough. The MooGoo really what has helped my scalp, no longer have to go loo regularly to check status of my shoulder flakes and brush down! Which I think is something all suffers would be familiar with. Had been getting the salt therapy before started using MooGoo so it may have boosted it's success rates. Hopefully it works for you as it has for me. Scalp can be a pain to treat as often involves greasy, pasty items that have to stay in and then wash out. I've thick hair which hasn't helped!

I come from a farming background so I'm familiar what the real stuff looks and smells like! Think there was a rumor doing the rounds a while ago that Celine Dion used it as part of her skin care regime. Moogoo is more human friendly, main thing is that it's definitely not anywhere as thick or greasy as cow version. Somehow they have been able adjust and keep the natural healing and conditioning properties.

They also do a Eczema & Psoriasis Balm that i use for my elbows.

Let me know how you get on, fingers cross for you!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-03-2011, 09:12   #197
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainey_b01 View Post
- Moogoo...yep it's the brand name http://www.moogoo.ie/
Loads of pharmacies listed there
http://www.moogoo.ie/stockists/

Has anybody seen it on sale online?

EDIT: doing a search for udder on amazon gets similar products for humans, along with proper cow stuff.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...+cream&x=0&y=0

Last edited by rubadub; 24-03-2011 at 09:18.
24-03-2011, 13:17   #198
rubadub

I emailed one of the stockists in sandyford asking for prices and if it was in stock
Quote:
Blackglen Pharmacy (Contact: Morgan)

Unit 1, Blackglen Village Centre, Simonsridge, Sandyford, Dublin 18

Ph: (01) 2921751 Fax: (01) 2921436

email: blackglenpharmacy@yahoo.com Web: www.blackglenpharmacy.ie
they said...
Quote:
We have several moisturising creams in different sizes:
- Moogoo Udder Cream (120ml) €10.10
- Moogoo Full Cream (75g) €13.70
- Moogoo Full Cream (250ml) €16.40
- Moogoo MSM Soothing Cream (75g) €15.70
- Moogoo MSM Soothing Cream (250ml) €21.18

These creams are in order of mild to strong depending on dryness/dermatitis etc. If you would like any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.
I then replied saying I was using it for scalp P and he said

Quote:
Moogoo have a specific scalp cream which is excellent for scalp psoriasis. The 75ml is €15.70 and the 250ml is €21.18. I would also suggest using their shampoo (€14.86 for 500ml) and the conditioner (€14.86 for 500ml). These products produce excellent results. One of the pharmacists here uses the products for the same condition and find them great.
24-03-2011, 13:54   #199
Lainey_b01

Can buy on line from moogoo.ie site but prices pretty much similar to stockist so if you want to avoid delivery charges I would try get it in local pharmacy or health food shop.

Good to hear pharmacists getting success also! Must see if local health shop have the scalp cream

Last edited by Lainey_b01; 24-03-2011 at 13:57.
29-03-2011, 12:34   #200
LittleMissH

Hi all,

I have had this scalp problem for I'd say over 10 years now. Always put it down to dry scalp and tried all the usual shampoos, Neutrogena T-Gel, Nizoral etc...
So finally went to my doctor last week and he has prescribed Betamousse, anyone else tried this? I read most of the thread but didn't see anyone else mention it..

It seems there are so many different products out there and everyone is different as regards what works for them but its good to see there are many other people out there with this very annoying condition!!
Advertisement
29-03-2011, 12:42   #201
bravo

Hi Littlemissh,
I've used it and still have some in my "psoriasis armoury", and still use it from time to time. I also use Stieprox shampoo (prescribed) and between the two of them the scalp stays clear.
I'm also using enbrel (as I was very severe) but i think the other two are controlling the scalp.
29-03-2011, 12:46   #202
LittleMissH

Thanks Bravo!
Will give it a try anyway, am willing to try anything, this problem has been going on for too long!

Also am intrigued about what I've been reading about cider vinegar, think I might try it if I have no success with Betamousse!
29-03-2011, 12:59   #203
rubadub

If you look on google scholar you can see studies done on various readily available creams. I have been using aloe vera gel for the last week or so, combined with the nappy/zinc oxide cream mixed with veg oil. I am the clearest I have ever been even after a very heavy drinking session, after drinking I applied cream which I think makes a huge difference, usually I would just go to sleep and wake up dehydrated I think is a combined effect of the toxicity of the alcohol and smoking (I only smoke when drinking). I also did some coal tar with UVB. My skin was a little red one day but I think this was just the mild sunburn you should expect from the UVB, it was fine 2 days after.

The aloe vera gel should be fine for peoples scalps with long hair as it would simply wash out.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...-91.x/abstract
Quote:
The treatment was well tolerated by all the patients, with no adverse drug-related symptoms and no dropouts. By the end of the study, the Aloe vera extract cream had cured 25/30 patients (83.3%) compared to the placebo cure rate of 2/30 (6.6%) (P<0.001) resulting in significant clearing of the psoriatic plaques (328/396 (82.8%) vs placebo 28/366 (7.7%), P<0.001) and a decreased PASI score to a mean of 2.2. The findings of this study suggest that topically applied Aloe vera extract 0.5% in a hydrophilic cream is more effective than placebo, and has not shown toxic or any other objective side-effects. Therefore, the regimen can be considered a safe and alternative treatment to cure patients suffering from psoriasis.

Though this one found otherwise
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...4.01186.x/full
Quote:
Results  Data on 40 patients were analysed. The score sum of erythema, infiltration and desquamation decreased in 72.5% of the Aloe vera-treated sites compared with 82.5% of the placebo-treated areas from week 0 to week 4, which was statistically significant in favour of the placebo treatment (P = 0.0197). Fifty-five per cent of the patients reported local side-effects, mainly drying up of the skin on test areas.

Conclusions  The effect of this commercial Aloe vera gel on stable plaque psoriasis was modest and not better than placebo. However, the high response rate of placebo indicated a possible effect of this in its own right, which would make the Aloe vera gel treatment appear less effective.
This one would show it reduces reddening (sunburn) after UVB
http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB...114871&typ=pdf
Quote:
Erythema values were determined photometrically after 24 and 48 h. Results:A. vera gel (97.5%) significantly reduced UV-induced erythema after 48 h, being superior to 1% hydrocortisone in placebo gel. In contrast, 1% hydrocortisone in cream was more efficient than A. vera gel. Conclusions: In this study after 48 h the A. vera gel (97.5%) displayed some anti-inflammatory effects superior to those of 1% hydrocortisone in placebo gel. The A. vera gel tested here might be useful in the topical treatment of inflammatory skin conditions such as UV-induced erythema.
You could make up your own mixture after finding what works best, this one was testing honey mixed with beeswax & olive oil.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...2&searchtype=a
Quote:
Conclusion: Honey mixture appears useful in the management of dermatitis and psoriasis vulgaris.
17-04-2011, 23:26   #204
fionny

Hi All,

Newbie to this thread but I suffer from psoriasis on the elbows, knee's, knuckles and recently by my ankle, its spreading... I went to the doctor and got prescribed dovobet which is great in the fact that it clears it up but not for long.... I use it really sparingly but its damn expensive to keep getting the perscriptions and then the 120euro for the 120g tube's!

Anyway my dad has been doing a bit of googleing in auto-immune conditions (more so for someones crones disease) and came up with LDN or Low Dose Naltrexone, apparently it works wonders and doesnt have any apparent side effects...

Anyone here using it? If so who perscribed it? Id like to try it out.

http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/

Cheers All,

Last edited by fionny; 18-04-2011 at 12:05.
Advertisement
19-04-2011, 11:31   #205
Gophur
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissH View Post
Hi all,

I have had this scalp problem for I'd say over 10 years now. Always put it down to dry scalp and tried all the usual shampoos, Neutrogena T-Gel, Nizoral etc...
So finally went to my doctor last week and he has prescribed Betamousse, anyone else tried this? I read most of the thread but didn't see anyone else mention it..

It seems there are so many different products out there and everyone is different as regards what works for them but its good to see there are many other people out there with this very annoying condition!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo View Post
Hi Littlemissh,
I've used it and still have some in my "psoriasis armoury", and still use it from time to time. I also use Stieprox shampoo (prescribed) and between the two of them the scalp stays clear.
I'm also using enbrel (as I was very severe) but i think the other two are controlling the scalp.
Betamousse is a steroid based product and must be used in moderation. Like all steroids, it can work well for a while, but you could end up where you started.
19-04-2011, 17:32   #206
fionny

My Doctor is going to perscribe me the LDN I mentioned and I have found 2 chemists in Ireland which will supply it. I will let ye all know what effect it has, if its as described on some sites my psoriasis should be gone in 3-4 weeks and stay away as long as im taking the tablets.
19-04-2011, 23:13   #207
DonFred

Any tips or balms I can buy to help reduce the reddness of my psoriasis? Too warm in work and need to wear t-shirt. I like to disguise the patches on my elbow. Appreciate any help.
20-04-2011, 09:49   #208
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFred View Post
Any tips or balms I can buy to help reduce the reddness of my psoriasis?
Zinc oxide is white, the stuff in sudocreme or the nappy cream I posted above. This can lessen redness but is a bit too white. I have mixed it with cocoa butter to make it a more transparent paste.

The bonus is I find zinc oxide creams to be excellent for psoriasis.
20-04-2011, 19:07   #209
DonFred

Where do you get the Cocoa butter? Just bought some high strenght Aloe Vera gel so am going to give this a try. Also have that Tesco nappy cream, yes its a big white alright.
22-04-2011, 16:10   #210
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFred View Post
Where do you get the Cocoa butter?
In some chemist in the US, women use it for pregnancy stretch marks should be in most chemists, I have seen it in supermarkets but it is usually just water oils and then some cocoa butter in the mix. The real stuff is quite thick and beige and mixes well with the zinc oxide creams. Vaseline might also work, not sure.

This is an active "boards deal", not sure if it is any use, I think I read on some forum somebody had good results, possibly here on boards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boards Deals: Niamh View Post
Have you or someone you know got breathing difficulties? Asthma? Struggling with eczema? Halotherapy - a salt therapy proven to treat respiratory and skin conditions in both adults and children - might be the solution.

Pay €70 for five sessions of halotherapy plus one free starter session at the brand new Salt Therapy Wellness Centre, Blackrock or at the Salt Therapy Spa, Malahide with today's Boards Deal.

Buy this deal now!

Salt Therapy Spa Ireland was founded by a chronic asthma sufferer, Richard Lindsay, after he discovered the benefits of halotherapy to his own health. You can read about his experience here. This therapy is suitable for both adults and children and the voucher will allow an adult to accompany a child for sessions. Each treatment lasts 45 minutes.

100% drug free, scientists and researchers developed halotherapy as a means of concentrating the positive effects of salt observed in nature. It is a proven treatment for respiratory and skin conditions.

For more than 20 years dry salt aerosol, administered in specially-designed halochambers, has been used to help upper and lower respiratory conditions such as cold and flu, allergy, asthma, bronchitis, sinus infection, sinusitis, rhinitis, hay fever and emphysema. In addition, the anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of dry sodium chloride aerosol has been shown to be an effective treatment for ear infection and conditions of the skin such as eczema, dermatitis and psoriasis.

Some of the many benefits you'll receive from treatment at Salt Therapy Spa or Wellness Centre include:

• Clearence of bronchial inflammation

• Removal of airborne pollen particles from airways

• Strengthening of immune system that decreases allergic reaction to pollens

• Cleansing and sanitation of the airways

• Prevention and treatment of common colds and flu

• Improvement of dermatological disorders such as acne, dermatitis and psoriasis

• Reduction of snoring

• Better sleep

If you still have some unanswered questions about halotherapy you can read the Salt Therapy frequently asked questions or read the testimonials of others who have tried the therapy.

Salt Therapy Wellness Centre,
41 Main Street,
Blackrock,
Co. Dublin.
T: 01 2143383/ -86
E: info@salttherapyspa.ie

Salt Therapy Spa,
Railway House,
Railway Avenue,
Malahide,
Co. Dublin.
T: 01 8457411