Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

11-02-2011, 09:46   #1
skate22

Waiting time for carer's allowance

Just wondering how long people in general are waiting for a decision on the carer's allowance. I have now been waiting nearly 8 months for this. It is so frustrating and while the person I am caring for is in need of care I cannot afford to do it for much longer. If I don't get it I will be down about 7000 euro which I am relying on just to pay off my credit card and mortgage arrears. I know of people who have got it after 5 weeks but in general the waiting time seems to be 3 months.

As far as I know there are over 3000 people waiting on a decision. I wonder what would happen if we all brought the people we are caring for to the local hospital and left it to the HSE to sort it.

Am sick to my back teeth of dealing with social welfare officers who think they are paying us out of their own pockets and who seem to think that we should bow to them and kiss their feet just for doing their job. There are plenty of people unemployed that would do a better and more efficient job than most of these. While I am not asking them to be grateful for their jobs I am just asking that they do it a pace that is not consistant with that of a geriatric snail.
Advertisement
11-02-2011, 10:42   #2
Lugh Ildanach

That seems way over the average waiting time. I'd contact the Carer's Association to see if they could advance your case for you or give you some pointers.

http://www.carersireland.com/ or 057 9322920
14-02-2011, 10:25   #3
skate22

hi thanks for that, did contact them and nothing can be done till the person dealing with my case comes back to work. She is still out sick. Will ring them again at the end of the week to see if they can put in a word for me
15-02-2011, 10:19   #4
rainbowdrop

My Mum is getting carer's allowance for my Dad - applied beginning of May this year and finally received it at the end of November. They waited 7 months in total, so your 'almost 8 months' doesn't sound out of the ordinary.

Definitely keep onto them, hope you'll get news soon!!
16-02-2011, 09:43   #5
skate22

Hi thanks for that, It seems that this is the normal waiting time. Looks like I could be waiting another 6 weeks for the decision as the person looking after my claim has been out sick for the last three weeks and doesn't seem to be anyone in the dept to take over her work. They have not idea when of if she will be back to work. Still the system in this country is crazy. I will give it another month and then will have to return to work.
Advertisement
23-02-2011, 18:31   #6
rootedhaggis

Hi, 8 months seems a bit ridiculous, is this a first application, or an appeal? I rang the carers allowance section a week before sending my application and asked the current waiting time and was told up to 16 weeks. Was I just being spoofed???
23-02-2011, 19:14   #7
skate22

Hi I originally applied for the allowance last July and was turned down so I appealed it. Am waiting since I appealed it and that was Sept. So it is now going on 34 weeks from my original application. My file is still in the local office and once that is moved to the main office for decisions it could be several more weeks. Just be warned as well that most applications are turned down at first and then if you do get it the back dated payment only goes back to the appeal date. Would advise anyone who is applying to make sure they have the form filled in fully and send everything that is asked for. I myself think that the original applications are not even read, just turned down automatically. Good luck to anyone who is trying to get a decision on any social welfare payment . You are in for a long wait !!!
23-02-2011, 19:41   #8
cee_jay

skate22 please don't spread rumours like that on this forum.
Applications are not turned down automatically first time. There are rules and legislation attached to each and every SW scheme - it is up to the person applying to show they are entitled to the payment. In your situation you may have been turned down once already, however you don't know how many people claim Carer's Allowance in the Country and how many are disallowed.
23-02-2011, 21:34   #9
skate22

Hi, It was never my intent to spread rumours on this matter. I did say that I thought this was the case. I do know that there are over 3000 people presently waiting a decision on this allowance and no I do not know how many people have applied. I am also aware that there are rules and regulations regarding all SW allowances but from experience these vary.
Advertisement
07-09-2011, 10:18   #10
skate22

carers allowance

just thought I would give an update on my waiting for the carer's allowance. As I originally said I applied in July 2010 and was turned down and appealed in Sept.

It is now Sept 2011, a full 12 months later and only recently did I get an oral hearing. I am now waiting for the outcome of that. I have now been a carer since july 2010 and am not getting any payment whatsoever. I could have signed on last year for JSA and would have at least been getting some payment and be able to look for some other employment. If I am turned down now where do I go from here. I am depending on the backdated money as my bills have been mounting. My husband on a low wage and am waiting on a decision from FIS along with a decision on the Back to School Allowance. Any suggestions on where I go from here. My patience has long run out and just feel let down by our SW system.
07-09-2011, 10:19   #11
skate22

carers allowance

just thought I would give an update on my waiting for the carer's allowance. As I originally said I applied in July 2010 and was turned down and appealed in Sept.

It is now Sept 2011, a full 12 months later and only recently did I get an oral hearing. I am now waiting for the outcome of that. I have now been a carer since july 2010 and am not getting any payment whatsoever. I could have signed on last year for JSA and would have at least been getting some payment and be able to look for some other employment. If I am turned down now where do I go from here. I am depending on the backdated money as my bills have been mounting. My husband on a low wage and am waiting on a decision from FIS along with a decision on the Back to School Allowance. Any suggestions on where I go from here. My patience has long run out and just feel let down by our SW system.
02-01-2012, 21:41   #12
jamescc

Quote:
Originally Posted by skate22 View Post

hi skate22,

I am just wondering if you had any reply back , i am in the same boat as you, i applied in may 2010. turned down, and i appealed the decision i now have an oral hearing on the 5Th January . can you give me any tips what to bring and do you get a decision there and then or do you have to wait.

thanks for your help
James
27-01-2012, 22:45   #13
irishnfemale

re: wait

I applied around Halloween time and last week I got a slip of paper with my documents returned to me in the post, saying please find enclosed your original documents which you provided with a recent application to this department. your application has been received in the relevant section and they will be in touch with you shortly?

Has this happened to anyone else? Does that mean I will hear soon or do I still have a longer wait ahead of me?

28-01-2012, 10:16   #14
IrishMumOf1

waiting times

I was wondering if anyone else who had applied for the carer's allowance could answer this question. Application went through at Halloween and last week I got a slip of paper with my original documents back saying "Please find the enclosed documentation which you provided with a recent application to this Department. Your application has been received in the relevant section and they will be in touch with you shortly. Yours Sincerely, Customer Services, Longford.

How long did it take for you to receive a response after getting a reply like this? Am just wondering is it going to be soon or could it be a few more months away?

Thank you
28-01-2012, 10:49   #15
jamescc

hi I applied on the 13Th of may 2010. I got a reply back after a few weeks saying that I would not get it but I could appeal it , I did that i got another letter saying they got a letter back saying that it would be some time before my appeal was heard. I went on a oral hearing on the 5Th of Jan 2012. I won my case and all is being back dated. I would suggest that you keep any letters, from them. doctors letters etc.. I took almost 2 yrs for me to be sorted out . I am now getting paid of the carers allowance section and am still waiting on the back payment and that could take a while yet.

I hope that you will not be turned down I do not know your particulars . I hope that this helps.

I would suggest that you have a letter ready. Just if they do turn you down.
Thread Closed