Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-02-2011, 20:11   #1
gearoidol

Server 2008 Sbs 64 bit - Memory Problems

I recently installed a hp server 2008 sbs 64 bit server.Dual xeon ,16gb ram ,raid 5 etc.
Whats happening is after a couple of days all free physical memory (ram) is being cached leaving nove free for the server itself. ie this is mainly ised as a file server and daily file operations are being cached and its leaving no free ram for the server itself ,to run backup exec etc. This is evident from by very slow opening times on any application on the server. a reboot sorts everything for a while.

I have read loads on the web and ppl suggest creating a service called dynamic caching but this seems to have no effect,

any help

greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
06-02-2011, 00:32   #2
rolion

it may look silly but i had a HP hw server running SBS2008...it needed a nightly restart to work fine ! Done it with a free piece of software,no issues since then !
07-02-2011, 15:01   #3
ressem

It's a bug on 64bit running 2008 x64 (not 2008r2).

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/a...he-issues.aspx

The dynamic cache service which allows you to carefully reduce the amount of memory allowed to the file cache.
After installing there is then a registry key available to you which tells the server to free up memory when the amount of free memory falls below a trigger value.

download from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en

The instructions are within the zip file.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion