Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-11-2009, 18:31   #16
muffler

No, Im not in the least interested in google results. You made a wide sweeping statement which if not proven is a racist comment. You and you alone are responsible for your comments and you can either back them up or withdraw them but Im not going to allow such comments on this forum unless proven.
Advertisement
29-11-2009, 18:37   #17
rushnaldo

withdrawn didnt mean to offend.
29-11-2009, 20:12   #18
muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushnaldo View Post
withdrawn didnt mean to offend.
thats fair enough. Issue resolved.

Now we can all get back on topic
06-12-2009, 20:23   #19
loc5

deer are responsible for grazing farm land and it is imposable to keep them out as they can jump high its a bit like the fox hunting people are obsessed that they are taking chickens and lambs but how many rear chickens for the table these days with lidil and aldi about
stray dogs, cats, mink and rats are the main cause of destruction not to mention magpies and crows these all cause damage to live stock and sheds but does anybody go after them???

unfortunately you can expect foxs and deer being hunted into extinction because its seen as fun/sport and they dont know nor want to know its just the culture of the people -cant blame the priests the politicians or the foreigners for this one

ironically its in donegal that the last colony of indigenous Irish deer are left
17-01-2010, 22:51   #20
Gun nut

The forest near my home in the south east is the scene of deer coursing every Sunday by a gang using a pack of foxhound type dogs and I am sick and tired of reporting it to all relevant authorities.Reported it to Gardai several times who did not even take a statement.Indeed one guard stated that his superintendant told him that the coilte manager for the area had given permission to the coursers.Strange if someone can give someone else permission to do something illegal.Reported it also to parks and wildlife and in fairness the ranger did come down.Only problem is they never seem to be contactable on Sundays when this activity is taking place.Big difference between the strict way wildlife laws are enforced in other countries and what goes on in Ireland.
Advertisement
17-01-2010, 23:21   #21
donegalboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc5 View Post
deer are responsible for grazing farm land and it is imposable to keep them out as they can jump high its a bit like the fox hunting people are obsessed that they are taking chickens and lambs but how many rear chickens for the table these days with lidil and aldi about
stray dogs, cats, mink and rats are the main cause of destruction not to mention magpies and crows these all cause damage to live stock and sheds but does anybody go after them???

unfortunately you can expect foxs and deer being hunted into extinction because its seen as fun/sport and they dont know nor want to know its just the culture of the people -cant blame the priests the politicians or the foreigners for this one

ironically its in donegal that the last colony of indigenous Irish deer are left
I didn't think we had indigenous deer in Donegal
18-01-2010, 03:23   #22
North_West_Art
Closed Account

all jokes aside, where can I get a few venison steaks?
18-01-2010, 10:28   #23
Deer Hunter DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_West_Art View Post
all jokes aside, where can I get a few venison steaks?
lidl but its not irish deer tho still good al the same , i would of been able to give you some but i haven't got out deer stalking this season due to an injury i still have to end of feb so might get one yet
18-01-2010, 18:19   #24
homer simpson
mmmmm beer...

i remember hitting a stag with my car a few years ago down on the duel carrigeway down by coloony sligo, it jumped over the central barriers and i weas doing 60 managed to swerve and clipped it, it was still killed though it made some mess of my car, i phoned guards they said noting can be done, i got a phone call a week later form some fella accused me of stealing his deer for meat, i laughed and phoned the same guard again asking if anything could be done now i know who owned the deer and claim for the damage off him, he still said no i couldn't but said i had a right to take the deer and use it if i wanted to, i wish i knew that then!!!

anyways slightly off topic, i have noticed a few videos appearing online too of derr hunting, guys seem to have donegal accents too, they are dam good shots.
Advertisement
05-10-2010, 08:44   #25
Deer Hunter DL

just bumping this up again keep people aware
05-10-2010, 14:16   #26
the_syco

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmg-lky View Post
One point but, how do they know these people are 18 - 20 and have no licences! You would think to know this information they knew who they were.
You come across a few people with guns, whatcha gonna do?

Take note of their car reg, and see how the police view people drive around with the unlicensed firearms. If they have NI reg's, report them to the PSNI. I'd say the PSNI have a different view on people with NI regs going around around with unlicensed firearms...
07-10-2010, 14:47   #27
Ayla

I live in South Donegal and my quiet little lane winds across the border...this time of year you'd be amazed at how busy the lane gets

We've definitely had it with the poachers using their torches...anyone caught on our lane gets a bit of the ol' homeschool treatment...we and our neighbors chase them out of the area - once they realize they're caught they tuck tail & run! I think it's made a big difference that it's known our area is off-limits.

I understand the need to cull to keep populations in check - it's an unfortunate by-product of overhunting predators - but I have approached anyone welding a gun & flat-out asked to see their license. I was on a walk once w/ my daughter & saw a couple guys target hunting in the Forestry...I think they were legit enough, but haven't seen them back since I had the balls to confront them.
07-10-2010, 20:23   #28
.17hmr

Not every one out at night with a lamp is hunting deer ,i go out for a few farmers that i know that have problems with foxes .i dont mind any one comeing up to me as i have full permission from the land owners .
AS for these people shooting deer that is not legit should have the full monty gun taken off them never to get another one, fine and jail.
01-12-2013, 15:29   #29
stalker .243

Deer poaching has really got out of control in the Derryveagh and Churchill area.And it,s not all young people either.A few of the poachers are well knowen to the Garda and Glenveagh National Park .Just Fri.night or early Sat.someone shot a deer,on land wich they had no right to be on,and even used a tractor to remove it.The deer was shot beside a cattle shed with the stock in it.These,s idiot,s have no respect at all for the farmer,s.The head of the Hind and other part,s where just left in the field .The matter has been brought to the attention of the Milford Garda,wich I hope will look into it.Sometimes a Garda Patrol car seen at the place will help to detair future poaching.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion