Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are Virgin Galactic exaggerating?

• 17-08-2010 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering what are peoples opinions on this?
    I know at the moment its very expensive, but if the price dropped over time and became affordable for the average earner would you go for it? Lets say it was 20K instead of 200K?
    I originally said yes I nearly would for the experience of getting to space but the more I read about it the more offputting it seems. Firstly i think your only experiencing weightlessness for 6 mins which is very very brief, why not just pay for a 'vomet comet'(if thats possible) secondly I came across this diagram and was a bit disappointed.
    http://www.boingboing.net/2010/05/14/infographic-shows-ho.html

SS2_infographic.jpg

Ok, I know 100km up is technically Space, but how much of a feeling of being outside Earth would you get at that height? Do you think this will advance further and still be cost effective? e.g. a trip to the ISS maybe or the hubble or maybe a few orbits. I reckon the biggest problem is re-entry, I dont think that technology would be even close to being available with Virgins Spaceship2. Correct me if Im wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I think the Virgin idea is as near as any of us could ever hope to be in space. From my reading of it you'll get to fly just above the planet,you'll see the darkness of space and feel weightlessness and see the curvature of the planet. True it's only 6 minutes of weightlessness but i think this is being aimed at regular people(with money!!) with no special physical fitness. If you wanted longer you'd need to attain a higher level of physical fitness i'd imagine.

That map above is a bit misleading. While the shuttle is theoretically rated to go up to 600 miles,the highest it's been is the Hubble telescope which is around 350 miles up iirc. The ISS would be the norm.

For a first venture in space tourism it's as good as we'll ever get. I'd love to do it myself but $200k is way out of my league. If it came down to $20/25k i'd actually consider a loan to cover it as it's a once in a lifetime deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

wylo wrote: »
    why not just pay for a 'vomet comet'(if thats possible) secondly I came across this diagram and was a bit disappointed.

From what I can tell the vomit comet isn't actual weightlessness, its just simulated because the plane is falling at the same rate you are. It's the same as doing a skydive except you're inside the plane.

Virgin will have 5 mins of actual weightlessness. I'm not sure how either feels so they might be roughly the same experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

From what I can tell the vomit comet isn't actual weightlessness, its just simulated because the plane is falling at the same rate you are. It's the same as doing a skydive except you're inside the plane.

Virgin will have 5 mins of actual weightlessness. I'm not sure how either feels so they might be roughly the same experience.

It's actually the same thing, in orbit you are falling only you're missing the planet. If an orbiting spacecraft could stop and not fall to earth you would feel gravity (which is why the craft would fall if it did stop). Also 'cause the Virgin flight is sub-orbital the "mechanism" for achieving weightlessness is closer to the Vomit comet than say the orbiting shuttle.
    Have had good experiences of weightlessness in planes and its fu**ing amazing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

as said above , heres a thread that explains it, i used get confused by the same thing:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055916249

So there is literally no difference only when you look outside you get to see space when on the Virgin flight.

Have had good experiences of weightlessness in planes and its fu**ing amazing. :D
    tell us more? what was it? do you really feel like getting sick ?
    I did a parachute jump but I dont think thats nearly the same thing cause of the air/noise/everything going on around you. Would love to experience a proper zero gravity feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭skinner2x

I did a parachute jump but I dont think thats nearly the same thing cause of the air/noise/everything going on around you. Would love to experience a proper zero gravity feeling.

Try a night scuba dive , close your eyes with the torch off., do a few tumbles. Reckon thats as close as I'll get to the space feeling. First thing you have to determine when the you turn the light back on is, which way is up? :D

Nice one 'bout the jump. Do you walk around looking upwards a bit more after that. ;)

Used to do a fair bit of skydiving and often when up there wouldn't be able to jump 'cause of clouds covering the landing zone (pre GPS days).
    So the pilot instead of just flying back down normally (boring) we'd have a bit of fun and he would drop the plane accelerating at the same acceleration as gravity. Wouldn't get very long only about 15 secs at a time (or the plane might break up), but when your there it seems like a lot longer. No feeling of sickness or falling your just there floating around with your buddies.
    Because was well into astronomy and space then, as now, sometimes used to close my eyes and imagine I was in space, that was very disconcerting and a bit scary (easier to do that outside in freefall strangely).

Note; To anyone interested in space, freefalling, when you get used to it and stop being terrified out of your wits, is a very interesting experience because you feel like your not connected to the planet (ie; an "It's over there" kind of feeling). Very interesting (and cheaper than NASA) :)

Sitting in a boat is to swimming, as sitting in a plane is to flying. Get out. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I'd pay 20k if I had that luxury and go up in a Russian mig29 to the edge of space. At least they give you a parachute if it goes tits up. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Hal1 wrote: »
    I'd pay 20k if I had that luxury and go up in a Russian mig29 to the edge of space. At least they give you a parachute if it goes tits up. :pac:
    That I would love to do:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

I dunno,May'be it is "the shock of the new" or the fact that i can't stand Branson.but i would not spend a euro on this.
    as has been said why not just a vomit comet or a sky-dive with Your eyes closed?

Branson is such a self publicist who fritters from one project to another,always seeming to emerge as some kind of Hero because he has the Money to indulge his fantasies.
    His patronising manner and his permanent stupid grin..........Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

*ps who should i hit for rescuing him when the Balloon ditched?,I thought he had enough hot air to circle the Globe at least seven times*

• Advertisement

While i wouldn't be Bransons biggest fan i'll be watching this with interest. If he's successful it may encourage more entrants to the market and drive down the price. The biggest factor in all of this is safety. Any accident,no matter how minor will possibly kill this stone dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

lord lucan wrote: »
    While i wouldn't be Bransons biggest fan i'll be watching this with interest. If he's successful it may encourage more entrants to the market and drive down the price. The biggest factor in all of this is safety. Any accident,no matter how minor will possibly kill this stone dead.

True that. If I had the money for a ticket, I certainly wouldn't be going up on the first flight.

+1 on opinion of Branson, but if I had the money and opportunity for the flight, I'd swim the Atlantic with one hand tied behind my back smiling all the way for the chance.
    The first flight would have a nice "edge" to it that would make it quite interesting. ;)

ynotdu wrote: »
    I dunno,May'be it is "the shock of the new" or the fact that i can't stand Branson.but i would not spend a euro on this.
    as has been said why not just a vomit comet or a sky-dive with Your eyes closed?

Branson is such a self publicist who fritters from one project to another,always seeming to emerge as some kind of Hero because he has the Money to indulge his fantasies.
    His patronising manner and his permanent stupid grin..........Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

*ps who should i hit for rescuing him when the Balloon ditched?,I thought he had enough hot air to circle the Globe at least seven times*

Granted he's a bit annoying the way he presents himself media wise , but the way I see it is he built that empire himself through taking risks. And this is another big risk, as others have said, one slip up safety wise and he'll have lost it all. I say fair play to him for getting the ball rolling, he tries his hand at some things and they fail, other things they succeed.

As far as I know he will be selling these 'spaceships' to other companies too which could mean serious competition.

Still though, 6 mins simply isnt long enough, even if it was 20k. I really dont feel you're truly entering space until you can do an orbit or visit a satellite or something and get a good long look at Earth from space.
    Ive hopefully another 50/60 years left in my life for them to develop something like this.

Oh well here are two Irishmen who wont have the pleasure of may'be meeting Branson in person.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/cullens-space-dream-stuck-on-launch-pad-2307265.html

Oh well here are two Irishmen who wont have the pleasure of may'be meeting Branson in person.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/cullens-space-dream-stuck-on-launch-pad-2307265.html

That's a strange one seeing as they have 'space travel agents' set up all over the world. Wouldn't be surprised if there's some local politics at play in the U.S. that forced Virgin to allow only US citizens first go initially. No doubt all the local government officials are looking for freebie trips for allowing Virgin to locate where it has!

does anyone else find it sickening that first irish man in space will not be a scientist/engineer or a head figure that has genuinely gained alot of respect, but some annoying rich car salesman that loves the sound of his own voice.

does anyone else find it sickening that first irish man in space will not be a scientist/engineer or a head figure that has genuinely gained alot of respect, but some annoying rich car salesman that loves the sound of his own voice.

Cullen or Higgins.....Shudder :confused:

I always wished it could be someone like Leo Enright.
    I'd say most of us "sciency/spacey" geeks (ahem..) always pricked up our ears to the words "Leo Enright reports" on the RTE News.

But I guess as they say "money talks".
    And not just to the dead ;)

Not really surprised tbh. As Cu Giobach points out,Money Talks! This is a pure business venture,all about profit and not about science. Branson wouldn't give a ****e what eminent Scientists/Astronomers wanted to travel once they can pay. The first few flights will most likely be comprised of Mega-rich CEO's who want to play spaceman. Too far out of reach of average joe unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Space tourisms first accident.

• Advertisement

Not sure i fully agree with You there wylo[I do agree it is a pity a Scientist is not going to be the first irishman in space]

I have heard both Cullin and Leo Enright being interviewed,yeah Cullin is egocentric but when He was talking about this He was like a two year old in a toy shop.He was one of the very first to pay a deposit,on this at least it is not his Ego but a genuine dream!

Strangely Leo Enright said it was circumstances that led him to being Irelands MR Space&Astronomy.He said he had'nt the slightest piece of interest but as a Young Journalist it was forced on him and the rest is history...............He's cuddlier than cullins though and both are far more than that Guy from AI....what's his name........you know Mr two euro for a 30second look through My Telescope...........e5 on My Premium rate phone number to find out what time sunset is due;)

PJ King was on newstalk there, looks like he will be officially the first man in space. Im much happier about that (I have a personal dislike of Bill Cullen). King has a degree in physics and a masters in Astronautics & Space Engineering, so in fairness he's more than qualified to educate us on the matter!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I thought it was going to be Tom Higgins, boss of Irish Psychics Live.

mystery01.jpg

9600274d-88cf-4ab2-ab24-a21dad0a52d4.jpg

He seems to have been the first to sign up with Branson back in 2005 though he may have pulled out since. He appears to have trademarked the phrase "Ireland's First Astronaut".
    The cheque confirms Tom's place as Ireland's First Astronaut ™ and is payment in full for his trip into space aboard Virgin Galactic's SpaceShip Two, construction of which will start shortly at the Mojave manufacturing facility in California.
    The presentation was made in front of SpaceShip One, which won the Ansari X Prize of 10,000,000 US dollars in October last year. Spaceship One was flown in especially for the event, on its last outing prior to being retired to its new permanent home at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington DC.
    Sir Richard thanked Tom for his support in helping to progress the future of commercial space travel and promised to reinvest all profits from the early flights into developing space tourism with a view to eventually bringing it within reach of the average person.
    Said Sir Richard: "I am delighted that Tom wants to be Ireland's first astronaut and that he has decided to support our vision for the future of space travel. I hope that Tom, the rest of our Founders Club members, and the other pioneers of the early years of commercial space travel, will help to bring the dream of spaceflight a reality for most people within two decades."
    Burt Rutan, designer and inventor of Spaceship One, who was also present, revealed that Tom's flight may also travel much further than originally planned, perhaps as far as 200 miles. “We are working on extending the range of the flights, which could see ships travel up to 200 miles farther and higher."
    Said Tom: "The technology developed by Burt seems to advance day to day so whatever happens the other Founders Club members and I, can I think, look forward to a very interesting couple of years ahead."
    For more information, interviews, etc, within the Republic of Ireland call 01 466 11 66, or email [EMAIL="info@realm.ie,"]info@realm.ie,[/EMAIL] from outside Ireland call +353 1 466 11 66.

King was saying that of the initial 84 applicants there were 3 Irish (apparantly the most represented country of all the applicants btw). Obviously himself, Cullen and Higgins. He said it was a lottery after that, one which he obviously won. Tbf to him he had alot to say regarding the physics and science of it, interesting listening, maybe newstalk do podcasts,it was todays Tom Dunne show.

On Newstalk's website there's a listen back facility that lets you listen to previous shows. Just click on the Tom Dunne show and todays date and todays show will be there.:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    On Newstalk's website there's a listen back facility that lets you listen to previous shows. Just click on the Tom Dunne show and todays date and todays show will be there.:)
    http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback/86/friday/1/popup, if you go to about 41 mins for Fridays show(part 1)

EDIT: oops, just listened to the start again, nothing there really saying he will be the first man, just that he'll be in the lottery, my bad, still an interesting listen all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Boeing have announced a similar plan starting 2015.

While the trip to space is nice I think the ultimate idea esp with Virgin is trans pacific suborbital flight.

if you could get the price down to a reasonable level and fast flight times you would get people flying

amen wrote: »
    Boeing have announced a similar plan starting 2015.

While the trip to space is nice I think the ultimate idea esp with Virgin is trans pacific suborbital flight.

if you could get the price down to a reasonable level and fast flight times you would get people flying
    Excellent,
    all we need is for companies to see that Virgin can make a big profit from this and then the competition will start.
    It might sound like im jumping the gun a bit here, but being in my 20s, i genuinely think ill be in space in my lifetime.

Advertisement