Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-08-2010, 16:59   #31
Cowmad

It only takes a poddle of water for an animal to get fluke. Fluke is a major problem every where.Fluke is the number one problem in animal health followed by IBR then BVD
Advertisement
07-08-2010, 17:13   #32
LostCovey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowmad View Post
It only takes a poddle of water for an animal to get fluke. Fluke is a major problem every where.
Well yes, an animal could get a fluke, but your herd won't get it from a puddle
Quote:
Fluke is a major problem every where.
That is not true

Quote:
Fluke is the number one problem in animal health followed by IBR then BVD
I don't agree, but companies marketing vaccines would be very pleased to have created that impression re IBR & BVD.

Much hype, because they are fantastic diseases, cause tons of things you can't see, here buy a vaccine for magic fix, forget biosecurity, buy whatever you want from the mart. Joke.

LostCovey
07-08-2010, 17:19   #33
pakalasa
Closed Account

Attached Images
File Type: jpg For fecks sake.jpg (5.9 KB, 244 views)
(2) thanks from:
07-08-2010, 17:35   #34
dar31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakalasa View Post
been getting that feeling a lot lately
07-08-2010, 17:48   #35
whelan1
Closed Account

i'm saying nothing
Advertisement
07-08-2010, 17:48   #36
Cowmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCovey View Post
Well yes, an animal could get a fluke, but your herd won't get it from a puddle

That is not true

I don't agree, but companies marketing vaccines would be very pleased to have created that impression re IBR & BVD.

Much hype, because they are fantastic diseases, cause tons of things you can't see, here buy a vaccine for magic fix, forget biosecurity, buy whatever you want from the mart. Joke.

LostCovey
Research has being carried by Teagasc that showed it takes a small amount of water for animals to get fluke.
07-08-2010, 21:13   #37
reilig
Closed Account

Quote:
The point I was trying to make was that immature fluke cause serious disease in sheep - I have seen sheep that were dosed every six weeks dying of acute liver fluke disease. That does not happen with cattle, possibly because they have a tougher liver with more fibrous tissue, and liver fluke find it harder to tunnel through it. Cattle also become resistant to liver fluke with age (as you say) partly because they react to fluke attacks by producing more fibrous (scar) tissue. Sheep immune systems just can't cope, and mature ewes are as susceptible as hoggets.

I totally agree with the above and I'm not being sarcastic. There was a study done in UCD which compared sheep liver to cattle and they did find that cattle had tougher livers to sheep which meant that the fluke did not bore it as much. I have a link to it, I'll dig it up and pm you with it. They studied different ages and found younger cattle to be more prone as you said above.

Quote:
So while I do actually believe that there is relatively little to be gained from dosing cattle for immature fluke, I do it myself, because it does reduce the burdens. But it is nowhere near as important as with sheep, where if I use an adult-only flukicide, I will get deaths.
I disagree with you on this point, In countries all over the world they are advising to the benefits of treating cattle for immature fluke. As I said in the last post, its not to prevent death but to promote thrive. As you said, you do it yourself, so you must see benefit from it.

Quote:
I think we also have to look at other measures, like drainage, fencing off wet areas, ditches and flooded areas, and also accept that there is land in the west which in a bad fluke year, is unsuitable for livestock, because the amount of dosing needed to keep them safe would be neither economic nor advisable. That is the type of land where I said it probably doesn't matter whether you dose or not - some places which have been heavily grazed by sheep are almost that bad, although I did mean it as a joke.

Agree, but a lot of land in this country is heavy wet land. Impossible to choose areas to fence off. But I do think that if people operate a sendible dosing policy against fluke, they can keep it under control, no matter what type of land they have.
09-08-2010, 09:53   #38
leoch

fluke

well how often should u dose them through the year if u are on wet ground and would lime or aerating the ground help get rid of them in any way
19-08-2010, 10:32   #39
5live

Just reading about fluke. Lost 5 weanling heifers last year with rumen fluke and the rest about 50 kg lighter than normal and i am on verydry land that burns off in summer. Also watch out dosing for fluke in cows and incalf heifers this year. New analysis of residues can show up doseing for 12 MONTHS! Not good for dairy stock as only Endofluke can be used currently according to my vet. So 2 doses per winter until rest of products get retested and approved. Enjoy
Advertisement
03-09-2010, 19:16   #40
whelan1
Closed Account

there was a dept of agriculture ad on page 2 of the farming indo this week and i meant to go back and read it BUT the paper went in the recylcing bin , did anyone readit and is anyone any the wiser on what we can use on dairy cows
03-09-2010, 20:05   #41
LostCovey

Quote:
Originally Posted by whelan1 View Post
there was a dept of agriculture ad on page 2 of the farming indo this week and i meant to go back and read it BUT the paper went in the recylcing bin , did anyone readit and is anyone any the wiser on what we can use on dairy cows
Hi whelan1,

I didn't see the Farming Indo notice, but this is the Glanbia list from last March - has there been any change since that date?

LostCovey

Re: Certain Flukicidal Products – Clarification/Change in use in animals intended for Milk for Human Consumption

Dear Supplier

Attached please find Notice from the Irish Medicines Board regarding updating of Invermectin and certain flukicidal products.

Recent advances in analytical technology developed by the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (DAFF) for monitoring of foodstuffs have called into question the precision of the labelling instructions of certain flukicidal veterinary medicines.*The veterinary medicines concerned contain clorsulon, closantel, nitroxynil, rafoxanide and triclabendazole used in dairy animals intended for milk production.*

As a prudent measure, the IMB is advising that veterinary medicines containing these substances should NOT be administered to animals producing milk for human consumption, including pregnant animals intended to produce milk for human consumption.

MEDICINES THAT CAN CONTINUE TO BE USED WITH STRICT ADHERENCE TO WITHDRAWAL PERIODS INDICATED
Name of product
Active ingredient
Albex 10%
Albendazole
Albex 2.5%
Albendazole
Endospec 10% SC
Albendazole
Endospec 2.5% SC
Albendazole
Keelogane SC
Albendazole
Osmonds Flexiben 10% SC
Albendazole
Tramazole 10%
Albendazole
Tramazole 2.5%
Albendazole
Valbazen 10%
Albendazole
Zanil
Oxyclosanide

MEDICINES NOT TO BE ADMINISTERED TO COWS/IN-CALF HEIFERS
Name of product
Active substance involved in IMB decision
Virbamec super
Clorsulon
Ivomec super
Clorsulon
Flukiver 5 Injection
Closantel
Closamectin
Closantel
Closiver for cattle
Closantel
Closamectin Pour on
Closantel
Trodax 34%
Nitroxynil
Deldrax 34%
Nitroxynil
Flukinex 9%
Rafoxanide
Orafluke 5%
Rafoxanide
Orafluke 10%
Rafoxanide
Fluken worm
Rafoxanide
Levafluke
Rafoxanide
Triazole
Rafoxanide
Fenafluke 5%
Rafoxanide
Chan Broad Spec
Rafoxanide
Rafazole Oral Suspension
Rafoxanide
Ridafluke 3%
Rafoxanide
Univet Multidose Fluke and Worm
Rafoxanide
Flukex 3%
Rafoxanide
Flukex 9%
Rafoxanide
Curafluke 5%
Rafoxanide
Curafluke 10%
Rafoxanide
Panafluke Oral Suspension
Rafoxanide
Fasinex 24%
Triclabendazole
Endex 19.5%
Triclabendazole
Fasinex 10%
Triclabendazole
Fasinex Super 19.5%
Triclabendazole
Fasifree 10%
Triclabendazole
Endofluke 10
Triclabendazole
Triclaben 10% for cattle
Triclabendazole
Tribex 10% for cattle
Triclabendazole

Glanbia Milk March 2010
Thanks from:
03-09-2010, 20:34   #42
whelan1
Closed Account

got a bill from osmonds with a flyer in it , theres a rumen fluke treatment which also does for worms called pharmazan . dont know the suitability for dairy cows
03-09-2010, 20:37   #43
morning delight

Quote:

MEDICINES THAT CAN CONTINUE TO BE USED WITH STRICT ADHERENCE TO WITHDRAWAL PERIODS INDICATED
Name of product
Active ingredient
Albex 10%
Albendazole
Albex 2.5%
Albendazole
Endospec 10% SC
Albendazole
Endospec 2.5% SC
Albendazole
Keelogane SC
Albendazole
Osmonds Flexiben 10% SC
Albendazole
Tramazole 10%
Albendazole
Tramazole 2.5%
Albendazole
Valbazen 10%
Albendazole
Zanil
Oxyclosanide
You can still use Zanil by the looks of it. And Levafas Diamond too.

I reckon I've lost 2 cows to rumen fluke in the last year. Both were treated for everything 3 or 4 times.

This Spring I had another cow going in the wrong direction with a persistent scour so I got the vet who suspected rumen fluke and we sent samples to the lab (tested for the other usuals as well). Now the cow was on death's door so she got another course of antibiotics, levafas diamond (I couldn't get zanil) and copper (black cattle had the typical rusty colouring of the coat).

The lab results came back with evidence of rumen fluke eggs and borderline/ low copper levels. The cow recovered. I had dosed and injected a few others I wasn't happy with and they improved as well. So then I was left wondering was it rumen fluke or Copper.

Sure enough about 2 months later she started scouring again, and one 2yo heifer I was unhappy with started deteriorating again. I dosed them both 3 weeks ago with Levafas diamond only and within 4/5 days they were well on the way. (Of course I was supposed to repeat the dose after 3 days but just didn't have the time to do it! The down side of part time farming)

Rumen fluke QED!
03-09-2010, 20:42   #44
LostCovey

Quote:
Originally Posted by whelan1 View Post
got a bill from osmonds with a flyer in it , theres a rumen fluke treatment which also does for worms called pharmazan . dont know the suitability for dairy cows
It's oxyclozanide (or oxyclosanide as Glanbia spell it above). So it will kill rumen fluke too.

LC

http://www.imb.ie/EN/Medicines/Veter...r=&Advanced=no
03-09-2010, 22:02   #45
morning delight

Quote:
It's oxyclozanide (or oxyclosanide as Glanbia spell it above). So it will kill rumen fluke too.

LC

http://www.imb.ie/EN/Medicines/Veter...r=&Advanced=no
http://www.imb.ie/images/uploaded/sw...10823-20-1.pdf

Look at 4.11 Withdrawal periods. Not to be used in dairy cows. It's the same ingredients as Levafas Diamond. That isn't allowed in dairy cows either, even though it only has a 5 day meat withdrawal.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion